Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cleveland Indians in 1st Place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Carlos Santana hit a walkoff grand slam for them tonight. It was a bomb.

At first I didn't think there was any way they could hold onto first place for more than a couple weeks, but after watching them battle back and ultimately dismantle the Tigers tonight, I'm not so sure. Their pitching doesn't seem to be deep enough to compete all year long, but their lineup is strong and it seems that they could be a legitimate contender in the AL Central, especially with the Twins and ChiSox (the favorites going into the year) off to very slow starts.

It's still way too early, but if they play the way they did tonight for the rest of the year, they are going to be tough to catch up to.

Thoughts?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I wrote them off WAYY before the season started, but they have surprised me.....Very glad to see Masterson pitching well :)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
IF the pitching holds up, they can keep this up all season. Plus, add in Chicago and Minnesota's other problems and it looks pretty good.

But you never know with young pitching...

frazzles

Jun 3, 2010
Peoria, AZ
Keep in mind this has been happening with Choo and Santana not doing incredibly well to start the year...

It'll be interesting to see how White does tomorrow... see how ready he is for the bigs (might end up getting 2 starts while Carrasco's down).

In other news, Adam Miller has been cleared to start pitching for Class A. We'll see how his recovery has paid off.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
gt2590 said:
IF the pitching holds up, they can keep this up all season. Plus, add in Chicago and Minnesota's other problems and it looks pretty good.

I also wouldn't write off Detroit, they seem to be the biggest threat to Cleveland right now. Scherzer was tough again tonight although I thought Leyland left him in one inning too long (and certainly one pitch too long ::facepalm:: ) but he has been very good so far. Add in Verlander doing his normal thing and Porcello who is looking to be pretty solid so far too and the Tigers may have the best pitching in the division to go along with a pretty strong offense.

I also wouldn't count out the Twins or Sox just yet, although I think the Twins are the better of those two teams.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
gt2590 said:

I also wouldn't write off Detroit, they seem to be the biggest threat to Cleveland right now. Scherzer was tough again tonight although I thought Leyland left him in one inning too long (and certainly one pitch too long ::facepalm:: ) but he has been very good so far. Add in Verlander doing his normal thing and Porcello who is looking to be pretty solid so far too and the Tigers may have the best pitching in the division to go along with a pretty strong offense.

I also wouldn't count out the Twins or Sox just yet, although I think the Twins are the better of those two teams.

I have never liked Leyland. He doesn't win us many games, but he sure does lose us quite a few each year. Stubborn old man, set in his ways-I remember him bringing in Brad Thomas at Baltimore this year, when we had a 1 run lead-and I posted in the MLB thread about how he basically just lost the game-and of course Thomas blew it. It reminds me of Zach Miner, the guy was a fringe bullpen arm, yet Leyland loved him-and used him in all kinds of big situations. He manages with his heart, not his brain-and I'm just sick of him.

This division is just horrible. The Tigers offense is just brutal to watch-Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter in baseball, and we still stink as a lineup. Their rotation is nice, but we can't score runs. The Indians pitching is not going to keep this up in my opinion, but I have always liked Choo and Asdrubal, and add in Sizemore and Santana and that lineup looks nice. The White Sox are the best team in the division if you ask me(as much as it pains me to say that).

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
After the pounding they took from the Sox in the 1st few games, it was great to be a Sox fan. Now that the table has turned a 180....man this sucks.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Cobra29svt said:
After the pounding they took from the Sox in the 1st few games, it was great to be a Sox fan. Now that the table has turned a 180....man this sucks.

Keep in mind the White Sox scored 24 runs in those 3 games and gave up 20.

Members online

Latest posts