Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Alfonso Soriano quietly reaches 10 Home Runs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Ive heard about:

Andre Ethier
Matt Kemp
Jose Bautista
Derek Jeter
Ryan Braun

But Soriano is quietly having a good season.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
He's finally earning his money.

Darwin Barney is also quietly leading all rookies with 29 hits.
Amazingly, he is batting 10/20 (.500) with runners in scoring position which has resulted in 11 rbi.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
I am pretty surprised he has got off to the start he has. The Cubs have had problems getting runners on base in front of him though. Like someone earlier said, lot of solo shots. I hope he can keep it up.

Someone also mentioned Barney, he has been great so far as well. I hope he continues his good play. Cubs might have their middle infield set for a few years.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've (somewhat) quietly wondered what it would take for Soriano to get HOF consideration. He's been viewed pretty negatively over the last few seasons, but the guy has done some pretty impressive things:

7 time AS
4 Silver Slugger's
40/40
4x 30/30 (of which 3 were: 39/41, 38/35 and the aforementioned 46/41)
324 career homers, 262 SB's

And he spent the first 5 years of his career at 2nd base.

He's got 3 more years on his deal after this one, and there's a decent chance he gets to 400 homers and possibly 300 SB's.

Don't think he'll make it in, but surprised his name never comes up in the discussion.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Topnotchsy said:
I've (somewhat) quietly wondered what it would take for Soriano to get HOF consideration. He's been viewed pretty negatively over the last few seasons, but the guy has done some pretty impressive things:

7 time AS
4 Silver Slugger's
40/40

He's got 3 more years on his deal after this one, and there's a decent chance he gets to 400 homers and possibly 300 SB's.

Don't think he'll make it in, but surprised his name never comes up in the discussion.

Juice and lying about his real age have not done him any good.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I remember when Soriano first started playing with the Yankees, I had a decent collection of his stuff. I was thrilled when the Cubs signed him, even bought a jersey. I hope he keeps this up but I can't imagine that he will.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ThoseBackPages said:
Topnotchsy said:

7 time AS
4 Silver Slugger's
40/40

Juice and lying about his real age have not done him any good.

To my knowledge, he's never been associated with PEDs. Soriano gets unfairly maligned because the Cubs overpaid him, as though that is his fault somehow. He carried the Cubs into the playoffs in late 2007. Guy is a very good hitter and always seems to have a good attitude.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
James52411 said:
Guy is a very good hitter and always seems to have a good attitude.

I can't say I watch him or the Cubs closely enough to comment on his attitude, but I'm willing to bet most casual fans think about the immaturity and selfishness over his position change in Washington first when thinking about his attitude. I don't think he's done too much to change the perception has he? I could be wrong

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
He has done just fine with the move to LF, without complaining.

And he has also, without a word, been moved up and down all over the Cubs lineup
over the last few years, with the Chicago media talking **** about him all the while.

His retarded contract is Hendry's fault, not his. The Cubs bid against themselves in that deal.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
James52411 said:

I can't say I watch him or the Cubs closely enough to comment on his attitude, but I'm willing to bet most casual fans think about the immaturity and selfishness over his position change in Washington first when thinking about his attitude. I don't think he's done too much to change the perception has he? I could be wrong

That's interesting. I totally forgot about him being in Washington. The negative thing I think of with Soriano is his atrocious defense in leftfield. It seems like you can't go a week without him butchering a play on ESPN.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
archiebunkerjr said:
Brewer Andy said:
James52411 said:

That's interesting. I totally forgot about him being in Washington. The negative thing I think of with Soriano is his atrocious defense in leftfield. It seems like you can't go a week without him butchering a play on ESPN.
he dorps a ball every once in a while, but has a ****-ton of outfield assists.

a lot of guys also just don't send runners on him anymore.

2008 - 5 errors
2009 - 11 errors
2010 - 7 errors

his career fld% in the OF is .968

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I've always like Sori. He has gotten a bad rap because of that contract and like chas said its not his fault. He is a very streaky hitter and has a gun for an arm. I hope w can start getting runners on in front of him to take advantage of this hot streak he is on

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
this team is starting to remind me of the 84 team.lets see what happens around the end June. they started out like crap.but the players are there.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
nosterbor said:
this team is starting to remind me of the 84 team.lets see what happens around the end June. they started out like crap.but the players are there.

If there pitching stays healthy good things could happen

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ahill1 said:
nosterbor said:

If there pitching stays healthy good things could happen

I hope you guys are right, but I am not so optimistic about the team this year. First thing they need to do is to put out the Dempster fire in the rotation.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
An earlier post reminded me that Soriano is actually the only player ever who has hit 40/40 in a season without any accusations about steroids.

I think his defense is much maligned because it took awhile for him to adjust to the move to the OF, but I think a closer look shows he's not nearly as bad overall as some think.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts