Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Josh Johnson the BEST Pitcher in Baseball?

Is JJ Currenly the best pitcher in baseball

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I personally think Johnson would have been mentioned in the top 5 for this "trophy" the last few years if he could have made it through the entire year. He has been absolutely incredible this year. His numbers as as dominating as anyone I can remember in years. So, is he currently the best pitcher in baseball?

***If you vote no, who is and why? Do the stats back it up?

2011 Stats

Starts - 6
IP - 41
Hits given up - 18
ER - 4
Hr Allowed - 1
k/bb - 39/11
Whip - .71
Batting average against - .128
ERA - .88

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I think he's almost there. Currently Weaver is tops this season. JJ is definitely a top 5 starter in the league though.

Allen

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
He is tops 5. Just because jered weaver (who i really like) is off to a historical start does not mean he is better then JJ. I think you can argue Lincy, JJ, Halladay and Lee are top 3 with a slew of guys going into those 4 and 5 slots like Felix, CC, Johan (if he can regain his form when he comes back) as well as JJ.

Edit- If he was a yankee more people would think hes the best because he wears pinstripes. Imagine his prices too

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I think he is terrific, but Halladay is still the best, and is once again proving it this year. Weaver and Haren have been very impressive in the AL, and they are currently leading in WHIP and ERA.

From a card standpoint, I think Johnson has more room to move up. 27-years-old with the extremely limited, and I can only imagine dried up, 2002 BCD. A raw gold sold for $300 recently. Am I crazy, or could that easily be double? Again, possibly crazy man, but I would pay $300 for that card.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If the question was "is JJ the best pitcher in the NL in April 2011?" then the answer is yes. The only knock would be that he hasn't pitched more than 7 1/3 in any game this year, although he consistently puts up quality starts.

But one month doesn't make anyone the best pitcher in the league.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
chompsmcgee said:
If the question was "is JJ the best pitcher in the NL in April 2011?" then the answer is yes. The only knock would be that he hasn't pitched more than 7 1/3 in any game this year, although he consistently puts up quality starts.

But one month doesn't make anyone the best pitcher in the league.

+1,

Ask me again in a few months.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Skrip JJ is right there but something should be said for consistency and that begins and ends with Doc

Jan 15, 2009
I would take Halladay, Lincy and Felix ahead of him. I would say he is in that 4th spot.

My top 15:
Halladay
Lincecum
Hernandez
Johnson
Sabathia
Wainwright
Kershaw
Weaver
Gallardo
Lester
Jimenez
Cain
Hanson
Lee
Cahill

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
GiantsSuperCollector said:
I would take Halladay, Lincy and Felix ahead of him. I would say he is in that 4th spot.

My top 15:
Halladay
Lincecum
Hernandez
Johnson
Sabathia
Wainwright
Kershaw
Weaver
Gallardo
Lester
Jimenez
Cain
Hanson
Lee
Cahill

No Verlander in your top 15?

Currently, I say absolutely yes. JJ is the best in baseball. He doesn't get much respect but he's flat out nasty.

Jan 15, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

My top 15:
Halladay
Lincecum
Hernandez
Johnson
Sabathia
Wainwright
Kershaw
Weaver
Gallardo
Lester
Jimenez
Cain
Hanson
Lee
Cahill

Currently, I say absolutely yes. JJ is the best in baseball. He doesn't get much respect but he's flat out nasty.
Somehow passed over him... :shock:

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
:lol:

I voted no because he pitches in the NL.

If he was a yankee more people would think hes the best because he wears pinstripes. Imagine his prices too

If he performed the way he does while facing 9 hitters instead of 8 hitters and a freebie, people probably would think that. I don't think the pinstripes would have much to do with it though.

Jan 15, 2009
RL24 said:

If he was a yankee more people would think hes the best because he wears pinstripes. Imagine his prices too

If he performed the way he does while facing 9 hitters instead of 8 hitters and a freebie, people probably would think that. I don't think the pinstripes would have much to do with it though.
:lol: So pitchers that are hitters are freebies? What about CC, Zambrano, Cain, Bumgarner? Those guys can hit and aren't freebies.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

My top 15:
Halladay
Lincecum
Hernandez
Johnson
Sabathia
Wainwright
Kershaw
Weaver
Gallardo
Lester
Jimenez
Cain
Hanson
Lee
Cahill

Just thought I'd ask. I'm probably a little biased although that may just be because I've watched him pitch a number of times..but I'm pretty sure I'd have him in my top 10. I may not have him quite as high as you do, but I like your inclusion of Kershaw on the list too although I don't think we've even seen him at his true best yet.

Jan 15, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":hkxt5cmj]

My top 15:
Halladay
Lincecum
Hernandez
Johnson
Sabathia
Wainwright
Kershaw
Weaver
Gallardo
Lester
Jimenez
Cain
Hanson
Lee
Cahill

Just thought I'd ask. I'm probably a little biased although that may just be because I've watched him pitch a number of times..but I'm pretty sure I'd have him in my top 10. I may not have him quite as high as you do, but I like your inclusion of Kershaw on the list too although I don't think we've even seen him at his true best yet.[/quote:hkxt5cmj]
Kershaw annoys the **** out of me, he goes complete beast mode against the Giants. But he will only get better, hopefully the Doggies won't be able to afford him :) Would put Verlander after either Gallardo or Weaver.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
RL24 said:

:lol: So pitchers that are hitters are freebies? What about CC, Zambrano, Cain, Bumgarner? Those guys can hit and aren't freebies.

Bumgarner is a career .173 hitter. Matt Cain? .109! (He was a bad example). The way you think of these guys as good hitters just proves my point. They aren't too bad... for pitchers.

Zambrano isn't too bad @ .236. Micah Owings can really rake, he's almost a .300 hitter. But these guys are the exceptions that prove the rule. They only pitch every 5 games or so, and only represent 2 teams in the NL. 98% of the time when a pitcher heads to the plate, it's an easy out.

CC doesn't count because he's sort of like the second coming of Babe Ruth, only an improved version that was so good at pitching they didn't move him to the OF. ;) :lol:

Jan 15, 2009
RL24 said:
RL24 said:

Bumgarner is a career .173 hitter. Matt Cain? .109! (He was a bad example). The way you think of these guys as good hitters just proves my point. They aren't too bad... for pitchers.

Zambrano isn't too bad @ .236. Micah Owings can really rake, he's almost a .300 hitter. But these guys are the exceptions that prove the rule. They only pitch every 5 games or so, and only represent 2 teams in the NL. 98% of the time when a pitcher heads to the plate, it's an easy out.

CC doesn't count because he's sort of like the second coming of Babe Ruth, only an improved version that was so good at pitching they didn't move him to the OF. ;) :lol:
Cain was a bad example, but a lot of these guys can put the ball in play and hard...it isn't just an easy out most of the times.

Members online

Latest posts