Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Spotlight, May 2011: 1st4040

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Here is the May edition of the Collector's Spotlight.

In case you missed, here is April's: April 2011 Spotlight: pghbuccos

I already have someone lined up for June. If there is a collection you would like to see for July, just let me know.

Here's May's

Name: Paul Meunier

Who do you collect? Jose Canseco

Why do collect Jose Canseco? Growing up in the late 80's few were more popular or exciting to watch at that time than Jose. The open stance and monster swing... the towering homeruns and the strikeouts that people cheered as if they were more important than the game itself... the Bash Brothers smashing forearms after every homerun. Jose brought a Hollywood feel and excitement to the game in an era of boring baseball.

How long have you been collecting? I have been collecting since the mid 80's. My father owned a variety store most of my life and in 1986 he started selling Topps cards. We used to open packs together which got me interested in the hobby originally. In 1988 I just decided that I wanted to focus on collecting Jose's cards exclusively and try and get as many as I could not really knowing how much was out there. Card shows were a way of life for me growing up. I obtained all my oddball and regional cards through a chance meeting with Southpaw Cards at a Boston card show in the early 90's and then ordered through his mailing list for years to follow. The newer generation of collectors really can't appreciate just how hard it was to be a player collector before the internet made everything readily accessible. The internet has really furthered my collection in ways that just weren't possible years ago.

How many cards do you have in your collection? I don't have an exact number due to the abundance of non recognized issues but I have 1890/2686 Beckett checklisted cards. If I had to guess I would say around 2200 total cards and other oddball statues and starting lineups. The part of my collection that I'm the proudest of is how complete it is up to 1995 which was the year I quit collecting and the beginning of the 90's insert boom. The only thing I currently don't own is a 1/1 and I really haven't had an opportunity to obtain one to this point.

How do you store/show your collection? I currently have all of the base and insert cards in penny sleeves/top loaders and the auto's and game used in screw downs all stored in three 5k boxes. I have a fourth box which contains all the starting lineups and other oddball oversized or boxed items.

What is your favorite thing about collecting? My favorite thing about collecting is a toss up between the chase of the hard to find cards and the memories and stories that go with it. When I show my collection to others I always have a story to tell and I think that passion is what's missing in the hobby as a whole today.

What do your family and friends think of your collecting? My brother is an avid Rickey Henderson collector and my mother spent many a Saturday or Sunday taking us both to card shows in our early teens. She was very supportive of our hobby but not interested in it at all. My wife will tell me she doesn't understand how little pieces of cardboard can be so valuable but she is supportive of my cardboard addiction.

What tips or advice could you pass along to other collectors? The only advice I can offer is to collect for yourself and thus to collect what makes YOU happy. It doesn't have to be the most flashy or expensive cards or the most popular player or set for you to enjoy the hobby.. you just have to feel a connection to whatever it is your collecting and not worry about impressing others. There are many cards in my collection with no monetary value but take me back to a particular time or place in my life and bring back many fond memories. These types of things you simply can't put a price on and are what make this hobby so enjoyable for me personally.

Is there anyone you want to thank/recognize for helping with your collection? I have to thank my mother for giving up much of her free time on Saturdays and Sundays to bring me to all the card shows when I was too young to drive myself. I have to thank my brother for giving me the competitive drive and re-igniting my collecting fire in 2007 after a 12 year period with many other priorities in my life. I also have to thank MagicPapa (Michael). He was one of the first people I met on the internet that not only showed tremendous generosity but proved that there are still good people and true collectors out there in the world. I'm thankful for all the good people I've traded with online over the last few years as well. Finally thank you Joe for choosing me for the spotlight.. its a real honor for me to have my collection on display for all to see and I hope these monthly spotlights inspire others to keep achieving their collecting goals!

Do you have any other hobbies or collections? My other hobby is freshwater fishing. Like card collecting it was another thing I did as a kid growing up and got away from as my life's priorities changed but my passion for it brought me back. Both of my hobbies are an escape from all the obligations and responsibilities of adult life.

Any additional thoughts or comments you would like to share? For anyone interested you can view my website at http://www.freewebs.com/1st4040 and also my photobucket where I currently upload my newest arrivals Jose Canseco Collection
I do plan to eventually get my own domain and do a much better website and have everything scanned individually all in one place but just don't have the time to dedicate to it presently. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read the spotlight and don't be afraid to contact me if you have a card I need or a lead on something rare you want to share with me!!

What is your favorite or some of your favorite cards? Random order

These are by far the most amazing looking 90's inserts in hand
JoseCansecoPC143.jpg

The first "highend" card I bought on the internet back in 2007 when I returned to the hobby
JoseNFT039.jpg

Had to have this card from the first time I saw it so I traded a PC card to obtain it
JoseCansecoPC187.jpg

The first patch set and one of my favorite game used designs
JoseCansecoPC188.jpg

any 90's player collector can appreciate just how hard these are to find
JoseCansecoPC149.jpg

simple and clean from one of the most legendary on card auto sets ever produced
JoseNFT128.jpg

Really like the token set design and these can be tough to find
JoseNFT075.jpg

1988 Topps Cloth and the rarity of these speaks for itself
JoseNFT097.jpg

one of those cards with a story..bought this card at a shop in W. Bridgewater back in 1992. These were the epic card of the day and it cost me a small fortune for a young teen but the money cannot replace the memory of what it felt like to land this card!
JoseCansecoPC190.jpg

Thank you for sharing your impressive collection with us! Best of luck on your continued collecting success.

Also, thank you to everyone who took the time to read Collector’s Spotlight. Stay tuned, because you never know when it’s going to be your turn in the Spotlight.

-Joe

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Those are some great Jose cards Paul. I always wished Henderson had a Topps Cloth. Your brother must be jealous of that Checkmates? I know I am. :lol:

Nice job Muskiesfan. I am not sure why, but I never noticed the Collectors Spotlight before.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Awesome job Joe on a very deserving collection!
Paul, your collection is terrific and I love seeing your additions!
Hopefully you will find that first, elusive 1/1!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Great collector. You are so right about the challenges of player collecting before the internet. Although Ebay has increased our collections greatly I bet some of your favorite cards will always be those from 1986-1990 that you had to track down the old fashioned way.

That is the great thing about it, you may not remember the details of a recent internet purchase but you will alway remember where you were when you picked up that card you needed in 1989. :lol:
You are not alone.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Joe, terrific job on yet another spotlight.

Paul, I always enjoy seeing your collection. That Check Mates card is sweet, I didn't know they had booklet cards back in 2004. I am also looking for my first 1/1 as well, so I know how that feels.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Wow, awesome stuff! Some of those I had no idea Paul even owned, very impressive collection! I admire Paul's appreciation for the oddballs as well and not being overly obsessed with GU and autos (not that he aint got some beauties of those as well!)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Nice job Joe
Paul does have a fantastic collection
You need to Blog this so the whole world can read this. Oh wait never mind the whole world is
already a member to FCB anyway. :D

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
henderson939 said:
Those are some great Jose cards Paul. I always wished Henderson had a Topps Cloth. Your brother must be jealous of that Checkmates? I know I am. :lol:

Nice job Muskiesfan. I am not sure why, but I never noticed the Collectors Spotlight before.

Jealous Ken, oh never! I had to get a copy for me too!
Nice spotlight, well done.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
lookin good Paul ;)
im glad i could help you with a few here and there,and thanks for the kind words
hope you can fill your want wists

GREAT JOB ONCE AGAIN JOE!!

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Joe - Excellent job on a series I'm getting to look forward to each month! :D
Paul - Nothing less than incredible describes your Canseco collection. :shock: Truly one of the best.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Paul thanks for sharing your story with us and good luck finding that elusive first 1/1. I am inspired by your passion for your collection and the hunt for all those oddball and extremely rare cards.

Joe thanks for another great Spotlight. keep up the good work. I'm so happy you brought it back.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
thanks for all the kind words guys and thanks again Joe for doing the feature on my collection! its an honor to be able to share my story about one of my favorite hobbies with everyone. Seeing so many quality collections on here I'm just humbled to be considered in the same catagory with some of them.

Andy and Mozzie, you know I got tons of love for the late 80's oddballs! The hard to find issues all have a memorable story to go with them. That era doesn't supply the big flash like the new stuff does but the rarity of some of the cards of that time command respect from people in the know.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Paul- No, thank you for taking the time to share your collection with all of us!

Thank you for all of the comments, I appreciate it. I don't do much though, its the wonderful collections and collectors that make the Spotlight what it is.

henderson939 and descott77- Glad to have new readers! Also glad that you guys liked it. There will be a new Spotlight each month. I will always link the previous ones to the new one.

In case anyone doesn't know, the new Spotlight will also be posted on the FCB Blog/main page each month. So you can read it and comment on it there as well.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
As always very nice Joe!

Paul, I did not know that you had such an extensive collection! Its also really nice to see that you still collect for yourself and have not let the opinions of others influence your hobby. With the shift in changing attitudes over the decisions of athletes and the news that has come to light, you collect for you and not for others! Very cool!

Members online