Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One card pre-war "MiLB" mailday!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Haven't posted a mailday in a while so was excited to get a nice card in the mail today.

It is in rough shape but I will take it all day @ $40 shipped :cool:

t212lewis.png

1909 T212 Obak (Duffy) D. Lewis! :D

Big thanks to Jay1065 for giving me the link to this card!

For those that don't know who Duffy Lewis is, he was the star LF'er for the Boston Red Sox from 1910-1917 and was part of the "Million Dollar Outfield" along with Tris Speaker and Harry Hooper (both are HOF'ers). He collected nearly 1,250 hits for the Red Sox while playing well above average defense on "Duffy's Cliff". He won 3 World Series with the Red Sox in 12', 15' and 16'. On the T212 Obak he is pictured for the Oakland Oaks in the PCL. Apparently [in 09'] he played in 200 games and collected over 200 hits for a .279 BA!

Career MLB stats
Career MiLB stats
Career Bio

I found this interesting:

"1911:
On 13 May, paced by Cobb's 3rd inning grand slam, his first ever, the Tigers take a 10–1 lead over the Red Sox after five innings. But Boston ties it in the 9th on Lewis's grand slam, and wins it in the 10th inning, 13–11. Boston outhits Detroit, 20–14."

:cool:

And just because I can, here are all of my cards of the "Million Dollar Outfield"!

psasub1.jpg
psasub2.jpg
TSpeaker.jpg
t206speakerfront.jpg
e91harryhooperfront.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments are appreciated! :)
-Scott

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
very cool Lewis addition and it's not in rough shape it's just been well loved ;)

thanks for the "Million Dollar Outfield" show as well.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
Wow, don't think I've seen your Speakers before Scotty, nice! and great mail day!
Thanks Andy, and funny you mention that. At one time I never thought I would ever own a Speaker card as they are quite pricey. Now I own two! :mrgreen: Paid under $150 after shipping for both! Condition isn't great but beggars can't be choosers!

Krom - Many thanks, Krom. Nothin' beats old school Red Sox!! Especially because Mr. Lewis won 3 World Series with the Sox. :cool:

200lbhockeyplayer - Thanks Mike! My first Obak....have always REALLY liked these cards but never figured out how they would fit into my Red Sox collection.

pghbuccos - Thanks Dave! Yep, very well loved alright! :D I was thrilled when I first completed the Million Dollar Outfield and now I almost have 2 sets! :eek:

rehmus - Ha, well...wouldn't surprise me honestly. Everyone seems to like the player information I post along with my maildays so I like to keep it up.

George_Calfas - Thanks George! I love the T205 set as well, but surprisingly it is one set that I do not own a card from! :eek:

Members online

Latest posts