Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Big news in the basketball card world....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Makes sense to have this conversation here, as it can happen in baseball just as easily.

Last time I heard of Panini, they were making 1985 Topps stickers.

Wow.

This can only be good news for companies like Razor and Donruss. Very good news for Razor and Donruss.

Does Razor have the jack to create a major league set with nonrookies? Donruss does...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I wonder if, say, ten years from now, officially licensed cards will sell for a premium on both the primary and secondary markets for all sports. Where unlicensed cards are in the majority.

What would you do if this were to happen?

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Craig - 21hawk said:
Whoa.

That's big news all right.

Nothing like granting a monopoly to a company with no experience in that particular field.

Craig

And yet, the NHL couldn't see that In The Game made a superior product to UD and shut them out. I don't expect people in the business offices of each of these leagues to be trading card experts, but don't any of them do some sort of market research?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
How does this change the landscape in baseball?

Without the NBA license, do people believe that UD and Topps will try to lock down baseball any more? IE: Jump into the exclusive route with players and prospects (a la Razor)?

Also, will Topps and/or Upper Deck pursue the MiLB license that expires soon for Tristar? Surely without the NBA license, there should be more licensing money available, plus with the prospecting "rage" - it seems like a logical business decision.

I don't collect basketball cards...but this is indeed big news.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Jaypers said:
I wonder if, say, ten years from now, officially licensed cards will sell for a premium on both the primary and secondary markets for all sports. Where unlicensed cards are in the majority.

What would you do if this were to happen?

In basketball, it's reality. I think the market will stay the same, to be honest. I think people will continue to buy the Topps and UD cards. They can still negotiate with the NBAPA, correct? That way they can get the players, just no logos.

I wish I knew the backstory -- for the NBA to do something like this is not very fan friendly. I wonder if UD and Topps stiffarmed them and said that they were only going to pay X amount for licensing, and NBA went and found someone that would pay more than both combined.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Also, will Topps and/or Upper Deck pursue the MiLB license that expires soon for Tristar?

I'd love it if UD got that license. It worked for SP Prospects after all. Competition is good.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
200lbhockeyplayer said:
How does this change the landscape in baseball?

Without the NBA license, do people believe that UD and Topps will try to lock down baseball any more? IE: Jump into the exclusive route with players and prospects (a la Razor)?

Also, will Topps and/or Upper Deck pursue the MiLB license that expires soon for Tristar? Surely without the NBA license, there should be more licensing money available, plus with the prospecting "rage" - it seems like a logical business decision.

I don't collect basketball cards...but this is indeed big news.

That's a good thought, about the MiLB. UD has a long history of producing minor league cards, and has had that license before. Topps hasn't. But both could do wonderful things. Minor league Sterling... Although I could see both of them getting it -- I"m sure MiLB could use the money.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
The NBA is always about expanding abroad, maybe they felt like this was the best way to broaden their market. They are likely not going to "lose" US watchers/supporters. Maybe card sales, will be down, but the NBA likely doesn't give a crap about card sales. They care about going global. You can thank the original Dream Team.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Panini?!? I thought that was an Italian pasta dish?? jk. This is crazy. What a huge move. I wonder of Topps and UD saw this coming or if it was a surprise.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
The WBC shows that baseball is attempting to get close to the same level of global saturization.

Baseball cards are going to be very interesting in 2010-2015.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
As big as baseball might be in Latin America and Asia, it really has not cracked into the European market the same way the NBA has. The NBA has done a great job within the last 20 years of really marketing their sport and appealing to all audiences. Other than soccer, it has basically become the second most popular sport globally.

Baseball has enough trouble getting new watchers in the US market. We always hear people complaining about the game being too slow, steroids, salary caps etc. I don't see MLB doing what the NBA has done in terms of a Global Market.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
wideright said:
Panini?!? I thought that was an Italian pasta dish?? jk. This is crazy. What a huge move. I wonder of Topps and UD saw this coming or if it was a surprise.

From the article:

As we look to the future of our trading card business, there is general consensus, including with our current partners, Topps and Upper Deck, that moving forward with an exclusive partner is the best way for us to energize the category on a worldwide basis.

Sounds like all three were bidding for exclusive rights and Panini came $tronge$t.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
thefasterblade said:
As big as baseball might be in Latin America and Asia, it really has not cracked into the European market the same way the NBA has. The NBA has done a great job within the last 20 years of really marketing their sport and appealing to all audiences. Other than soccer, it has basically become the second most popular sport globally.

Baseball has enough trouble getting new watchers in the US market. We always hear people complaining about the game being too slow, steroids, salary caps etc. I don't see MLB doing what the NBA has done in terms of a Global Market.

I agree. But they are attempting it. That was my point.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Billy Packer said:
wideright said:

From the article:

As we look to the future of our trading card business, there is general consensus, including with our current partners, Topps and Upper Deck, that moving forward with an exclusive partner is the best way for us to energize the category on a worldwide basis.

Sounds like all three were bidding for exclusive rights and Panini came $tronge$t.

Actually, it sounds like UD and Topps might obtain rights THROUGH Panini

although that is a pretty wild idea, and purely speculative

Members online