Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB Properties sues Donruss Playoff over trademark use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Was just going to ask if anything had been done about this in the Panini thread (for Topps & UD maybe doing it if Donruss got away with it in baseball). Should be interesting to see how this ends up.

I think we can conclude one thing from it already, Donruss won't be getting a license from the MLB any time soon.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
flightposite said:
Was just going to ask if anything had been done about this in the Panini thread (for Topps & UD maybe doing it if Donruss got away with it in baseball). Should be interesting to see how this ends up.

I think we can conclude one thing from it already, Donruss won't be getting a license from the MLB any time soon.

I don't see it ever happening.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
flightposite said:

Kind of the point I was trying to make. Could Donruss have a leg to stand on about MLB giving Topps & UD a Monopoly? Sort of what Donruss and Fleer first went through in the 70's & 80's to originally get in business?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
flightposite said:
cgilmo said:
flightposite said:

Kind of the point I was trying to make. Could Donruss have a leg to stand on about MLB giving Topps & UD a Monopoly? Sort of what Donruss and Fleer first went through in the 70's & 80's to originally get in business?

There is no monopoly though. There are competitors, and neither company really throws their weight around.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
I honestly did wonder if they were going to get in trouble for leave team logos on pictured uni's. Sure enough.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
thefasterblade said:
Anyone have any scans of cards like this in the set. I didn't buy any so I didn't see how good of a job they did.

Scan164.JPG

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Rarity isn't the sole factor in determining a card's value. If this is indeed DLP's last baseball venture these 2008 cards could earn a premium.

Jeff N. said:
[quote="Pine Tar":1aa52tso]So will the cards in question go up in value then???

Again, they shouldn't. They're still #ed the same....[/quote:1aa52tso]

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I'd have to agree with mlb properties on this one, I don't think they did a careful enough job eliminating the logos.

I'll miss donruss, but at least they still have unopened older product out there...

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
uniquebaseballcards said:
Rarity isn't the sole factor in determining a card's value. If this is indeed DLP's last baseball venture these 2008 cards could earn a premium.

I doubt it. Their cards didn't realize a premium when they originally lost their MLB license and Fleer certainly didn't go up in value when they went bankrupt.

I can see Donruss producing baseball this year, but putting more focus on college and high school draftees than the retired/HOF players.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
uniquebaseballcards said:

Jeff N. said:
[quote="Pine Tar":26pxtkl1]So will the cards in question go up in value then???

Again, they shouldn't. They're still #ed the same....
[/quote:26pxtkl1]

Seriously?

Want some old Score cards? How about some Donruss cards from what, 2006, when they lost their license the first time? How about some 2006 Fleer cards?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
MLB is continuously making itself look inept and greedy with all this bull-headed sportscard nonsense... and they wonder why sportscard sales are down... MAYBE BECAUSE YOU CREATED A DUOPOLY AND BULLY OTHER COMPANIES TRYING TO USE THEIR NAME TO SELL AND PROMOTE MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PRODUCTS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT DOING A GOOD JOB OF IT. Idiots...

Members online

Latest posts