Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ubaldo "Flash in the Pan" Jimenez

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
Ubaldo Jimenez is 0-3 with a 6.67 ERA one year after posting a 2.88 ERA and leading the NL in winning percentage. The Rockies are 0-6 in the games he has pitched this year. He only gave up 10 HR all of last year, this year he has already given up 4 HRs. Jimenez has been throwing his heater at around 93-94 miles per hour. He topped out at 96 yesterday. Last year he would cruise in the 95-96 range and top out near 100 mph.

What's up with the Flash?

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Did he go over his previous high IP mark last season? Also I watched him pitch against the Pirates and his secondary stuff was never in the strike zone.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
tough to post career year numbers every year unless your Roy Halladay.. Felix Hernandez hasn't been all that sharp either so far this year. usually its run support with him and his win totals but his ERA is up too.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
yet another turd on my fantasy team. joining the ranks of crawford, wright, uggla, etc.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
A lot of people saw this coming. I don't recall the Ubaldo bandwagon getting too full. Great last year, but he came up small late in big games.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
He's striking out at a career high clip, but he's also walking batters at almost twice the rate he was last year.

Low strand rate and lower FIP than ERA suggests he'll begin to come back towards his career averages. Plus, it's May and he's had 6 starts. Time to relax. He may never post 2010 numbers but he's still an above average pitcher.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldnt say flash in the pan.

He showed he has the stuff last year. Some pitchers, like Felix, are struggling this season.

I'd wait until next season to see if he was a fluke

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I havent seen him throw lately but from what I have been reading he is apparantly having mechanical problems. To call someone a flash in the pan after a month is kind of premature.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
bradical said:
Pretty much following in the footsteps of Grienke.

So when an above average player has a career year, then doesn't immediately follow that up with another great year, he is a "flash-in-the-pan"? By these standards the MLB is full of them.

I think it's more likely teammate Carlos Gonzalez is the flash and Ubaldo will revert back to being the quality pitcher he is.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
chompsmcgee said:
bradical said:

So when an above average player has a career year, then doesn't immediately follow that up with another great year, he is a "flash-in-the-pan"? By these standards the MLB is full of them.

I think it's more likely teammate Carlos Gonzalez is the flash and Ubaldo will revert back to being the quality pitcher he is.

The MLB is certainly full of them.

My reason for the thread is that Ubaldo is their ace, #1 starter, top of their rotation and the Rockies haven't won single game he has appeared in.

He is pitching like he is hurt.

Maybe its more of a set-standard of complacency in the MLB. Cash in on your career year, then never perform up those stats again.

See: Adrian Beltre, Barry Zito, Carl Pavano, Richie Sexson, Sidney Ponson

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
bradical said:
chompsmcgee said:
bradical said:

My reason for the thread is that Ubaldo is their ace, #1 starter, top of their rotation and the Rockies haven't won single game he has appeared in.

Maybe its more of a set-standard of complacency in the MLB. Cash in on your career year, then never perform up those stats again.

There is no doubt players try to cash in on their career year. Wouldn't you? In any profession, if your contract is up at the end of a term and you are trying to justify a new contract with higher pay wouldn't you work harder than ever to achieve that? That's the nature of capitalism. Then, once you've secured the contract you go back to performing the way you always had. That's the nature of people.

As for Ubaldo, he could very well be hurt. Or players could be making adjustments to him. Or it's only 20% into the season and he could be back to normal by July.

My point is it's inappropriately early to call the guy a "flash" when history says he's above average.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
chompsmcgee said:
bradical said:

Couldnt agree more.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
bradical said:
chompsmcgee said:
bradical said:

And how many guys have remained great after signing big contracts. There are some busts, but most of the time the great players remain great.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
When did Ubaldo have a great year? He was horrible the second half of last season.
Yes because an ERA of 3.80 and a K/9 of over 9 is horrible. ::facepalm::

You do realize that a 3.80 ERA is under the league average?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
So is Tulo a bu as well. He signed a hge contract, he is hitting .257 and if you take away that Mets series his power numbers arent all that good.

Cargo as well. He is hitting .231.

Members online

Latest posts