Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nice Billy Martin pick-up with a vintage 50s signature.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've been looking for an 'odd ball' Martin autograph for a while and finally picked one up today at a show.

I believe the drawing is from an old Sport Magazine, but I honestly haven't researched it completely yet. The drawing is done by Lenny Hollresier with a nice vintage Billy Martin signature on his neck. The page has been mounted on thin autograph/album paper but when held to the light you can see the reverse page showing Maurice McDermott listed as "Boston Red Sox Left Hander" - so it dates the page between '50-53 - McDermott's years with Boston and Martin's overlapping years with the Yankees.

billy-martin-drawing-auto.png

There is some fraying and paper loss but it will frame up perfectly. Just a great goofball piece that sums up Martin as a player, which then spilled into his tumultuous managing times as well.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Still nothing locking down where, when this was initially published.

The illustrator illustrated the DiMaggio book, "Baseball For Everyone" and appeared to still be drawing into the 70s. Regardless, it's clearly a period from '50-53, but it'd be nice to know exactly where it appeared.

Seems kind of crazy considering how the journalists seemed to protect the players back then, and here clearly shows Martin's "rough around the edges" playing style and lifestyle.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
More than fair price, and I packaged it with the following plus 5 unmarked misc. '60s Topps checklists.

3topps-aaron3x5.png
1952 Topps Walt Masterson signed
1963 Topps Don Drysdale signed
1967 Topps Walt Alston signed
Hank Aaron signed 3x5 index

Masterson is hardly a household name or a tough autograph (died in 2008) but it's actually in the best condition of the three, and currently my only signed '52.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts