Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this a dang joke? Are we actually considering no fighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
This is a joke, I read there is a poll where 54% of Surveyed fans want fighting out of the game...... seriously where are they finding these morons???? There was a poll a week ago on here and it was like 22-0! and I can't see where they are getting 54% from???

This is seriously a joke!!! if they take fighting out of hockey I AM DONE WATCHING THE NHL! I am just so frustrated they are even considering taking fighting out of OUR Game.

Please let me know your feelings.

Shep :ugeek:

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I agree 100% Shep. It would take sooo much out of the game it would not nearly be as fun to watch.

It was truly be ridiculous..

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
I agree this is rediculous. I believe in this poll they surveyed 1000 people, 1000 OUT OF 35 MILLION!! So I doubt it is a very accurate representation. In the same poll they said that of the ones they asked that were "Hockey fans" I believe the numbers were something like 60% do NOT agree with banning fighting. Anyway I doubt very much the NHL will ban fighting, I can see them making strickter rules around keeping your helmet on and not slaming someone to the ice to take them down but not removing fighting. jmo

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
I seriously doubt fighting will ever be removed from hockey. The NHL might place hefty fines on those who fight, but I don't see them stopping it.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
As a lifelong hockey fan born and bred in Toronto, I say ban it. Clearly I'm alone here but I truly believe it detracts from the game. If people need to see a fight to enjoy the NHL, they're missing so much more.

I don't mind the odd, intense scrap (the kind that Iginla gets into) but for the most part, guys that fight only do it because they provide little other value.

I absolutely cannot stand when highlight packages on TSN or The Score feature a fight as part of the one-minute recap of the game. Show the goals, the artistry, a big hit, but I just cannot fathom why people are entertained over a couple of guys throwing a few punches and then grappling for a while. It's asinine. Worst of all is when the announcer says something along the lines of, "the descision goes to...." after the replay. There's no decision. Who cares who 'won'? In fact, nobody won. Two guys scrummed then they sat down for a while and neither team missed them. A fight bears no relevance to the game aside from some mythical 'momentum shift'.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
braden said:
As a lifelong hockey fan born and bred in Toronto, I say ban it. Clearly I'm alone here but I truly believe it detracts from the game. If people need to see a fight to enjoy the NHL, they're missing so much more.

I don't mind the odd, intense scrap (the kind that Iginla gets into) but for the most part, guys that fight only do it because they provide little other value.

I absolutely cannot stand when highlight packages on TSN or The Score feature a fight as part of the one-minute recap of the game. Show the goals, the artistry, a big hit, but I just cannot fathom why people are entertained over a couple of guys throwing a few punches and then grappling for a while. It's asinine. Worst of all is when the announcer says something along the lines of, "the descision goes to...." after the replay. There's no decision. Who cares who 'won'? In fact, nobody won. Two guys scrummed then they sat down for a while and neither team missed them. A fight bears no relevance to the game aside from some mythical 'momentum shift'.

:D Kinda of an oxymoron, hockey fan in Toronto :D jk

I do agree with some of what you say especially to get rid of the guy that is only there to fight, I much prefer a fight that happens in the "heat of the game" and not just because. But a fight, a good fight can shift momentum and often does. I do like it when they include the fights in the highlight packages if it was a good fight and not just a wrestling match. To ban fighting would be to take an integral part of the game out. jmo

braden

Aug 7, 2008
jarcar said:
braden said:

:D Kinda of an oxymoron, hockey fan in Toronto :D jk

But a fight, a good fight can shift momentum and often does. I do like it when they include the fights in the highlight packages if it was a good fight and not just a wrestling match. To ban fighting would be to take an integral part of the game out. jmo

I just think those fights are few and far between in comparison to the goons who are just out there to see whose is bigger.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Bologna. Fighting is as much a part of hockey as when baseball players toss the ball around the diamond after an out. Sure it doesn't have a thing to do with actual game-play, but it's just done and always has been. Anyone who thinks there is no place for fighting in hockey can't be a TRUE hockey fan, they are a fan of some game similar to hockey that's played in their own head.

Members online