Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chicago National - worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
All year I've been planning on attending my first National this year in Chicago. I was going to take some time off to be there all week. Unfortunately, with all that's going on this summer, I can't take the time off. I'm pretty bummed If I'm able to go, I'll have to drive down Friday night and only be there for Sat and Sun. I've heard the best deals are usually found early and many dealers pack up and leave early. Is it worth still trying to make it for the end? Thanks for any input.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
If you are going purely to try to find steals then it might not be worth it. That said, it is a very fun time. I have gone 3 days in a single show before and felt like there was still a ton I didn't get to see.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
I think you should still go. There is a ton of stuff just to look at that is phenomenal, you might be able to pick up a nice in-person auto if you like any of the guests who are signing when you're there. I go because I have a good time with my friends at the show, then go out and grab food and beverages later which can be just as much fun as the show.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
WoundedDuck said:
All year I've been planning on attending my first National this year in Chicago. I was going to take some time off to be there all week. Unfortunately, with all that's going on this summer, I can't take the time off. I'm pretty bummed If I'm able to go, I'll have to drive down Friday night and only be there for Sat and Sun. I've heard the best deals are usually found early and many dealers pack up and leave early. Is it worth still trying to make it for the end? Thanks for any input.
Since I'm going to be there and Chashawk and even Eric (thosebackpages) and maybe a few others from the MT
I would say this alone is worth the price of admission. :D

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Wounded I will pay you 10 bones to bitch slap
Pinetar for being a Cubs fan? :lol: :p Cash back baby ;)
EDIT: Its just payback for the Hendry hug fiasco LOL

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
craiger122003 said:
take a train you dont work
Amtrak it fool or greyhound
I love flying with Allegiant Air
They have 21 year old planes

dont think theres an amtrak that goes from boston to chi
am tryna scrounge up some cash for nyc in a week or 2 not that it costs me much tho
2.50 roundtrip 2 am bus ride, 1 dollar hot dogs in nyc, and free room and board in the park

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I went every day in Baltimore last year, and here's what I can tell you:

Saturday was the busiest day by far. It was packed, compared to all other days.

Some dealers started packing up a few hours early on Sunday, but it's not like it was a ghost town.

On Sunday, a lot of the dealers lowered their prices on some stuff (they'd rather sell it than pack it back up), but there were also a lot of guys who wouldn't budge on prices.

I think a lot of the dealers bought stuff on Saturday from people coming in looking to sell, so there seemed to be new things every day at a lot of the tables.

In my opinion, you should definitely go, especially if you've never been to a National. It really is an amazing experience, even if it's only for two days.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
If I'm driving 9 hours to stay 5 days, you best be down there along w/the rest of the FCB'ers :p

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Randy and Charlie...this National will mark a special occasion for my collection.

Effective with the opening of the National, I will only collect Upper Deck redemption cards. Nothing more. I will also only wear clothing that bears the likeness of the el Hefe - Richard McWilliam.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Randy and Charlie...this National will mark a special occasion for my collection.

Effective with the opening of the National, I will only collect Upper Deck redemption cards. Nothing more. I will also only wear clothing that bears the likeness of the el Hefe - Richard McWilliam.

:lol: That'll be freaking Awesome Mike!!

Members online