Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you think Topps is doing so far in 2011?

What OVERALL grade would you give Topps for the products they have releases so far in 2011?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
So far, Topps has released 7 products this year. Do you feel they've improved since last year? Are they listening to the customers/collectors complaints from last year? Still room for improvement?

2011 Topps Baseball Series 1
2011 Topps Heritage Baseball
2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball
2011 Topps Tribute Baseball
2011 Bowman Baseball

And I guess I have to include Topps Attax and Opening Day.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Topps has certainly improved greatly upon last year's products. Every release is superior to the prior year, with the possible exceptions of topps and bowman. The latter 2 are good releases as well this year.

Sent from my Droid

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
They have been killing it. Just when you thought they couldn't top the million card giveaway, they come back with
the Diamond thing. Heritage was huge with the addition of Koufax and Aaron. Gypsy Queen was hot until Bowman
came out. Tribute hooked high end collectors in for a while. It has been a very good year so far.

Kevin

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Improving on 2010 was easy, and since they've released all of five products we'll see how the rest of 2011 shakes out. So far so good though...as long as wax breakers bought in early.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Yeah, I agree with the 2010 comment. It's not hard to improve on last year.

So far, everything I've opened has been good. It's such a drastic difference from the end of 2010 into 2011. I guess BDP QC-wise was better then everything to come before it, but 2011 overall just looks...better in almost every way.

I didn't buy any GQ or Tribute, but I heard they did awesome. The only Heritage I bought came form the Value Boxes, which I did pretty awesome on. And Bowman, although no monster names aside from Harper and Pineda, overall just looked better than most of the stuff I opened last year.

I guess it is a little early to ask this question. June/July is going to be a busy release month...but so far, I'm excited for the rest of the year.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Of course it's not hard to improve over last year.

By the way, that's the only thing we have to judge against.

They Have NO Competition!!!

Does anyone honestly think topps products would be busted/cost as much the last 2 years
if people had the option of SPX, SPA, Sweet Spot, Ultimate, etc, etc?

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'm a football guy first, and when I was more into baseball, I ripped a lot more Upper Deck than Topps. That said, I have really liked Topps stuff this year: I've been caught up with both Heritage and Bowman, like Gypsy Queen, the Tribute patches were some nice stuff, Koufax autos are fantstic - for having no competition, they're actually somewhat producing products as if they did. I'm speaking from a collecting/set-building standpoint here, not a flipping one, so factor that into my opinion.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
A solid B.

2011 Topps was a low-end product that delivered on many levels. Nice base design, sparkles, diamond anniversary, a good assortment of inserts, and the Diamond Giveaway. I do hate the shipping charges for the program.

2011 Topps Heritage was also great. I normally don't do Heritage, but the design along with the SPs and Topps Value Box got me to buy quite a bit.

Topps also did well with their late 2010 brand products like Platinum.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
schmidtfan20 said:
The big test will be topps series 2, which has sucked for quite some time.

Crap, why is that? I decided last year that I was going to build one set each year (Topps 206 last year) and this year decided I was just going to stick with base Topps every year. Is it the players available in series two or are you talking about the inserts found in series two?

I'm only worried about the base as that's all I'm after and any inserts are traded/sold away to help me get the base I still need.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I give it B. If it wasn't for Tribute, it'd be higher. I know alot of folks liked it, I just didn't...

But I don't think anyone had a problem with their early releases last year, it was the back-end stuff starting with TC so we'll see if that keeps the good run going.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
They have been excellent so far. Gypsy Queen is a huge improvement over t206 and Chicle.
Bowman quality is great, much better than last year. I don't like Tribute, but even that was decent this year with a nice selection of autos... Some nice value in products for dealers and collectors this year.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Saw the sellsheet posted earlier for Finest....from the looks of that, it seems to be a step in the right direction with that product as well. With no more of the Manufactured Patch auto's.

From my perspective - early indications are that they are listening to us to some degree......and it's not just resting on their laurels since they're the only game in town.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
gt2590 said:
I give it B. If it wasn't for Tribute, it'd be higher. I know alot of folks liked it, I just didn't...

But I don't think anyone had a problem with their early releases last year, it was the back-end stuff starting with TC so we'll see if that keeps the good run going.

I had some crappy Series 1 cards and Bowman. The only product with few QC issues was Finest. I felt that Series 2, Ginter, Tribute, TC, BC all had issues.

I'm in the minority, but I really like Chicle. I think it's a cool idea to have artist draw player cards. It's very abstract. I like Ginter's art too...but I'm not a big fan of all the weird cards. Revolving Door? Really? I know that's what A&G is all about, but I can't take that seriously.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
sportscardfanatic said:
gt2590 said:

I had some crappy Series 1 cards and Bowman. The only product with few QC issues was Finest. I felt that Series 2, Ginter, Tribute, TC, BC all had issues.

I'm in the minority, but I really like Chicle. I think it's a cool idea to have artist draw player cards. It's very abstract. I like Ginter's art too...but I'm not a big fan of all the weird cards. Revolving Door? Really? I know that's what A&G is all about, but I can't take that seriously.
:lol:

Those things crack me up and if I still have one kicking around, I'll probably hold onto it just because it's out there. I know the revolving door and there was one from an UD product a couple of years ago too that made me laugh too, something with a vaccine for some disease, possibly smallpox.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
rymflaherty said:
Saw the sellsheet posted earlier for Finest....from the looks of that, it seems to be a step in the right direction with that product as well. With no more of the Manufactured Patch auto's.

From my perspective - early indications are that they are listening to us to some degree......and it's not just resting on their laurels since they're the only game in town.
2008 Finest (ya know, when they had competition) had 3 on-card autos per box, plus a rookie redemption.

Then it got worse, now it's getting slightly better.

Members online

Latest posts