Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The increasing value of retail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Not long ago, it was hobby or bust. Retail product could offer the occasional hit, although it was often rare and rather low-end. I've had success with retail myself over the years (my best pull, a Bonds on-card autograph /5, came from retail in 2006), but I've always knew the odds were low compared to hobby. Lower price, lower odds of getting something good. Collectors have even been ridiculed on some forums for "wasting money on retail".

However, things have been changing within the past two years, especially with Topps products. More - and better - hits have been found in retail products at a greater rate.

Both 2010 Bowman and 2010 Bowman Platinum were hits among many collectors. Bowman offered exclusive purple refractors in rack packs; if you were looking for lower-end Strasburg, retail offered just as good a chance as hobby. Collectors found retail Bowman Platinum to be fairly loaded with autographs. A few FCB members even pulled Strasburg patch autographs from retail. From 4-5 blasters and several rack packs, I pulled 4 autographs myself.

The trend has continued into 2011. Topps (Diamond Anniversary, Sparkles, Diamond Giveaway), Heritage (SPs, the occasional autographs from retail, and hobby packs in Topps Value Boxes), Gypsy Queen (numerous GU and autographs), and, of course, Bowman (with retail exclusive Harper autographs).

Do you expect the potential for retail products to continue to climb? Do you enjoy seeing some of the value passed on to retail customers, or would you rather see it concentrated all within hobby products? Myself - I love it.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Topps isn't stupid (well, actually...). The brick-and-mortar hobby shops are few and far between--some people don't even live within driving proximity to one.

But guess what everyone lives near? A Targer, or Walmart, or Toys R Us or other retail outlet.

Being involved with an actual brick-and-mortar hobby shop, I HATE retail.
1) Of late, product has been available in retail too far in advance.
2) The retail product is too similar to hobby.

Both of those factors lead to dad buying junior a Topps blaster while they're shopping for patio furniture at Target rather than making a separate trip to the LCS.

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
I think retail will continue to get stronger and stronger....As the number hobby shops decreases and the number of Wal Marts, Targets, etc. increases, it's only inevitable

With the drastic decrease in hobby shops it seems that soon enough the only place to buy hobby boxes will be online

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I hate when hobby carries high-end or rare cards retail doesn't or vice versa as I don't think of retail customers as being inferior to hobby customers!

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
emarc27 said:
I think retail will continue to get stronger and stronger....As the number hobby shops decreases and the number of Wal Marts, Targets, etc. increases, it's only inevitable

With the drastic decrease in hobby shops it seems that soon enough the only place to buy hobby boxes will be online

In some ways it's already like that. There isn't anything around here other than retail. Unless I buy online.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
retail is garbage, Gypsy Queen was a screw up and topps is going lose some money on it by having to replace a ton
of autographs, you can be assured that won't happen again. Retail heritage sucked and the only hits people were pulling
were from the special hobby packs that topps made that were obviously loaded coupled with the diamond code. There
is still plenty of heritage and series 1 laying around. It is hard for bowman retail to increase in price when topps is
selling it on their site for 72.99/ 19.99 a box.

I do like retail exclusives and topps has kept this up.

Kevin

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i buy mostly retail. i am a fan of quantity. Retail GQ @$2.50 a pack is fantasticly fun to rip. Hobby GQ @$7+ a pack? not so fun.

Retail Heritage is also awesome for those of us that build the set and arent worried about "hits" Retail Heritage also has three of the four of the hardest sets to put together, TINTS!

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
I think the lack of competition has actually brought collecting back. Because it is impossible to aim for premium auto and jersey cards with tops, I find it more fun to try and complete sets. Maybe we were all spoiled by Donruss, UD, and Fleer in the past. I'm content, for now, just buying and a blaster and sorting my cards, which I haven't don't in years. I don't go crazy anymore spending a few hundred dollars on boxes.

crowTrobot

Nov 4, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
i buy mostly retail. i am a fan of quantity. Retail GQ @$2.50 a pack is fantasticly fun to rip. Hobby GQ @$7+ a pack? not so fun.

Retail Heritage is also awesome for those of us that build the set and arent worried about "hits" Retail Heritage also has three of the four of the hardest sets to put together, TINTS!

topps lineage retail should be a great value compared to what hobby is going for now also.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
I've been into cards for over 25 years, but I never understood the reasoning for having Retail and Hobby anyway.
What's the reasoning? Seems like it'd be easy enough to just make it the same packs with the same odds across the board. Sell some 8 pack blasters, some 20 pack boxes, single pack blisters, but whatever.. what's the need for "different" packs anyway? I should be able to walk into walmart and get the same box as I do going to Homerun Sports Cards..

Anyone care to explain?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Kevbo said:
I've been into cards for over 25 years, but I never understood the reasoning for having Retail and Hobby anyway.
What's the reasoning? Seems like it'd be easy enough to just make it the same packs with the same odds across the board. Sell some 8 pack blasters, some 20 pack boxes, single pack blisters, but whatever.. what's the need for "different" packs anyway? I should be able to walk into walmart and get the same box as I do going to Homerun Sports Cards..

Anyone care to explain?

Pricing. It would be hard for the Wal-Marts and hobby shops across the country to agree upon a set price.

And, if you could get the same pack for $2.98 at Wal-Mart that would cost you $4.98 at the hobby shop - that would mean the death of the LCS and even some online stores.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Kevbo said:

Anyone care to explain?

Hobby is/was a way to drive traffic to hobby stores. Also some hobby hits wouldn't be as "appreciated" by retail customers - retail customers may not know what they've pulled or understand its value as much as a hobby customer probably would.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Retail prices are also a little more kid friendly, and help bring them into the market until they're old enough to afford/appreciate and upgrade to hobby.

Members online