Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who would compare Bautista to - Gonzo or Brady?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

With all the Bautista hoopla , I have yet to see sone comparisons to previous guys who had low career HR totals before hitting 50. Greg Vaughn always had 30+ hr power.

But Gonzo Is the 1 guy that I would think comes to mind first for me.
He had a previous high of 31 in 2000 But did not hit more then 28 following the 50 Hr season. He hit 28 in 02 and 26 in 03 then started hid decline.

Brady has his 50 in 96 with a previous high of 21 and never hit more then 24 HR's again

Bautista's transformation into a slugger is amazing but what is even more impressive is the high batting average. Bonds was always a good hitter for average but the average during his ruthian seasons was .328-.370-.341-.362

What are thoughts on Bautista. I know what the first thing the majority will say but is it possible to advance your skill to this degree without PED's??

I know he changed his stance what has been noted but if he keeps this up he has s chance to hit well over 50 again , maybe 60

Thoughts??

fonda1119

Apr 5, 2010
How about Rico Petrocelli? Never hit 20 for his first four seasons, then in '69 hit 40. Never hit more than 30 again.

In all seriousness I don't see why he can't be a Jim Rice type hitter. Lots of power, high batting average, feared hitter. Plus if you look at Rice's 77-79 seasons, I think they're comparable to what Bautista could be in the midst of. Obviously the eras are different but Rice led the AL in HRs in '77 & '78, much like Bautista might do in '10 and '11.

Note: I'm not a Red Sox fan, but these two guys seemed like good examples.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Howard Johnson.

He hit 12, 11, and 10 HRs in three seasons before busting out with 36 in 1987.

He then hit 24, 36, 23, and a league leading 38 (with a league leading 117 RBIs too) it 1991.

His next four seasons, he hit 7, 7, 10, and 7 before retiring.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I think we should be looking at Carlos Gonzalez and not Bautista.. Bautista picked up where he left off last year and he's obviously seeing the ball just as well so his mechanics changes definately made the difference for him. Cargo on the other hand.. HR hitters park and he has absolutely flopped so far after his big year.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
~He's obviously juicing.~

On a serious note, although Bautista is off to a great start, I'll wait till July to see how he's doing before I make a comparison. I wouldn't compare him to either Gonzo or Brady Anderson though, since Bautista has always show consistent power even in his Pittsburgh days as a part time player. The BA is what's surprising me thus far.

Members online

No members online now.