Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When do you bid on a card?

When do you bid on a card?

• As soon as you see the auction for the first time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Assuming the auction does not have the Buy it Now option, when do you bid on a card? Personally, if I am watching an auction I normally bid within the final minute. Everyone has their own reasoning. What is yours? Thanks

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
55_marlins_sp said:
thefatguy said:
GIXEN.com

This, but I usually throw up a bid right away. Then I'll gixen it with a day or so left.

Why signal your intent to bid on a card? It can only make others set higher snipes / bids.

Experience has shown me that a last minute snipe with no prior bidding is the best way to go.

The only reason I ever place a bid without a snipe is to remove a BIN on a card I'm interested in.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
gracecollector said:
55_marlins_sp said:
thefatguy said:
GIXEN.com

This, but I usually throw up a bid right away. Then I'll gixen it with a day or so left.

Why signal your intent to bid on a card? It can only make others set higher snipes / bids.

Experience has shown me that a last minute snipe with no prior bidding is the best way to go.

The only reason I ever place a bid without a snipe is to remove a BIN on a card I'm interested in.
qft

although not everyone is bidding against highly competitive player collectors who know each other's hidden IDs...:lol:

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
chashawk said:
gracecollector said:
55_marlins_sp said:
thefatguy said:
GIXEN.com

qft

although not everyone is bidding against highly competitive player collectors who know each other's hidden IDs...:lol:

I often pull cards that don't have the proper amount of watchers (thanks ebay's free listings!) and I don't think snipes show up as watchers. I think tossing in the minimum bid signals to a seller that you're interested and prevents him from pulling it down.

It also binds the sellers hands as he can't pull it down with under 12 hours remaining.

I don't know how many people pull cards, but I'm all for minimum bids.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
chashawk said:
gracecollector said:
55_marlins_sp said:
thefatguy said:
GIXEN.com

qft

If someone else out there wants a Josh Johnson more than me, so be it. This system has worked for me in the past, especially if it's a .99 opening bid on a 1/1 or something unique (quad auto, sick patches, logoman, etc). I know what I can afford and won't go bonkers for something, but I also wanna throw my hat into the ring right out of the gate. Plus, usually that opening bid is either $1 or $1.05 if it's a $.99 auction, so it's not like I'm putting $80 on it right away.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
And for the really rare stuff, you forgot the option "Contact seller immediately and see if you can work an offline deal."

Yeah, yeah - technically against the rules. But the hardcore PC guys know that their competition is doing it, so they better too.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
gracecollector said:
And for the really rare stuff, you forgot the option "Contact seller immediately and see if you can work an offline deal."

Yeah, yeah - technically against the rules. But the hardcore PC guys know that their competition is doing it, so they better too.
guilty...:cool:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
gracecollector said:

Agreed. Bidding early is a great way to advertise/pimp that card...

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
If you don't understand small, incremental bids, listen up.

When you see a $100 card sitting at $56 with 4 days left and 22 bids, what do you assume? Shill bidding. What do you not do? Bid on that card.

I've won cards for half their value doing this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts