Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Baseball book suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I am looking for some well-written books about the early days of professional baseball, preferably in the late 19th and early 20th century. Hopefully something I can find at the library. I honestly don't know that much about the culture, teams, players, etc. I am also looking for books about baseball cards from that era.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
The New Historical Baseball Abstract by Bill James is a very good read.The Glory Of Their Times is an incredible read about the older days of baseball.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Crazy '08: How a cast of cranks, rogues, boneheads, and magnates created the greatest year in baseball
Baseball In The Garden of Eden: The secret history of the early game
Past Time: Baseball As History

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Past Time and the Historical Abstract were 2 I frequently used in university.
Dean A. Sullivan, ed., Middle Innings: A Documentary History of Baseball, 1900-1948 (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1998),
Leonard Koppett, Koppett’s Concise History of Major League Baseball (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1998),

watch Ken Burns' Baseball too ;)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
justwar said:
Crazy '08: How a cast of cranks, rogues, boneheads, and magnates created the greatest year in baseball

GREAT book!

I also suggest looking for a great series of baseball mysteries set in the early days of the 19th century by an author named Troy Soos. Main character is a utility player who solves murders. Tons of cameos of real major leaguers and a fine amount of period detail. Well worth the hunt!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Spalding's World Tour: The Epic Adventure that Took Baseball Around the Globe - And Made It America's Game

good read

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
emarc27 said:
fantasyland by sam walker

mint condition dave jamieson

Just finished Mint Condition and I highly recommend it. Offers some nice history of the hobby, although the early part of the book is pretty much just history quoted. For me, it helped to see some of my opinions were shared by others and offered new information that was interesting and disturbing at the same time.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri. Book about how the Rays went worst to first from their Front Office view. Really makes you appreciate them more.

Also, I'm reading Shawn Green's (yes, the outfielder) book The Way of Baseball: Finding Stillness at 95 MPH. To be honest, I'm 3 chapters in and it's pretty lack luster. But the book has had some bright points, just really dry.

Members online

Latest posts