Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What will the Yankees do with the Jeter problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Disclaimer: This is not Jeter hating.He has had a phenomenal career and I have the utmost respect for him.

I think it's pretty clear that Derek Jeter is no longer a good baseball player. He will finish May with a sub .720 OPS for the seventh consecutive month. That's not a slump. He'll be 37 next month and once the 3,000 hit chase is done with, I imagine the whispers will start to get louder.

So what in the world will the Yanks do? He's got two years left after this and unlike the Posada problem, they don't have a solution at SS. He's DHing today which is funny but will he seriously be trotted out there, at the top of the lineup, for the foreseeable future? He won't retire before his deal's up, will he?

This should be a pretty interesting story and the wild thing is, it's bound to repeat itself fairly soon as ARod will inevitably hit a steep decline before his deal runs out in seven (!) years.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
How did the Ripken career wind down? To be honest, i don't really remember. Perhaps because the O's weren't contending at the time, thus they were able to run him out there even when he was in the twilight of his career.

I remember when the Yanks let Bernie go, and people screamed what a disservice that was to a yankee great, but perhaps its better not to re-sign aging legends then to let them rot on the field and in the newspapers.

MantMaris

Jul 29, 2010
Wisconsin
I believe the front office sees Eduardo "E" Nunez as the next SS. I like the bat, hate the glove/arm. Never know where the throw will end up.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
MantMaris said:
I believe the front office sees Eduardo "E" Nunez as the next SS. I like the bat, hate the glove/arm. Never know where the throw will end up.
Nunez just needs to get some more work in at SS.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
As bad as Jeter is right now, he isnt all that bad for a SS. A Rod I see having many productive years as a DH, especially once Posada is gone.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I think it is clear that Nunez has to be the favorite right now to fill the Captains vacancy. I really hope that Cashman does not think that Cito Culver is the answer.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
they are the yankees, they wil just throw more money at him because they are too blind to see he is done. this was the yankees fault on the contract not jeters'. the yanks were betting against themselves. they may platoon him and jorge at dh the rest of the year. A platoon at DH thats friggin funny

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I would guess they will let him play out the rest of the season and try and
get a SS through free agency? Hanley Ramirez comes to mind. Don't know
how much longer Andrus has but he is only 23 so they may throw a boat load
of money at someone like that?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Jack Straw said:

Jose Reyes would look sexy as hell in pinstripes!!!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
elmalo said:
As bad as Jeter is right now, he isnt all that bad for a SS. A Rod I see having many productive years as a DH, especially once Posada is gone.

For $18-$20 million a year, that is good enough for Yankees fans? I think most people outside new york saw this coming. It is pretty sad to be honest, the guy had a great career. Now he is just adding on stats and records while in a sharp decline.

I really don't think there is much the Yankees can do. They are locked in..

skrip

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
ballerskrip said:
elmalo said:

For $18-$20 million a year, that is good enough for Yankees fans? I think most people outside new york saw this coming. It is pretty sad to be honest, the guy had a great career. Now he is just adding on stats and records while in a sharp decline.

skrip
He didnt get that money bc of his market value. He got that money bc he is Derek Jeter. It isnt like the Yankees are strapped for cash. If it were any other team in the league than it would be a problem, I dont think it is gonna be a huge problem with the Yankees.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
elmalo said:
Jack Straw said:

Gay.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
aminors said:
elmalo said:
Jack Straw said:

Gay.
Yes, I am quite happy.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ballerskrip said:
elmalo said:

skrip

It's true there isn't much they can do at this point. However, it's also true that he's not completely terrible considering the position. It's just way worse than normal Jeter. I'm not defending Jeter, but the league average is way down this year. The league average ERA is 3 something last I checked. That explains a ton about all kinds of guys down year. Add that with just getting old, and you get Jeter's situation.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
elmalo said:
aminors said:
elmalo said:
Jack Straw said:

Gay.
Yes, I am quite happy.

I meant homosexual. :lol:

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
aminors said:
elmalo said:
aminors said:
elmalo said:
Jack Straw said:

Gay.
Yes, I am quite happy.

I meant homosexual. :lol:
Well, you know what they say, it takes one to know one. muah!

Members online

Latest posts