Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Purple Refractors & the Hobby

Thoughts on purple refractors in the hobby

• Keep purple refractors

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
So effectively the purple refractors have slowly replaced xfractors (and this is specifically referring to Bowman releases). I personally hate the purple refractors. There is just something that detracts about owning a purple baseball card. I remember reading all the bitching about xfactors, but now that purple has crept from being retail only, to serial numbered, and now slowly evolved past regular refractors (in terms of print run) in this years 2011 Bowman release, what are your thoughts?

The only downside I could find with xfractors was the naming convention. This was a total sub set to search for on ebay (goes both ways for searching, and getting searched for increased sales/bids). If the terminology was something refractor related, the ref* search would yield all color versions. Should you search/list as X-fractor with a dash, xfractor without the dash, or try to use X with REF refractor?

In terms of value, I think the new changes have have given Topps the opportunity to capitalize on quantity and thus have diluted cards across the board.

2008: Super/1, Red/5, Orange/25, Gold/50, Blue/150 or 99, Xfractor/199 or 250, Refractor/500 or 599

2011: Super/1, Red/5, Orange/25, Gold/50, [thin out here] Blue/250, [now insert huge gap here & replace with larger quantity of small value inserts] Purple/700, Refractor/799

In a worst case scenario (using 150 blue, 250 on X, and 599 on Refractor), there are 1,080 refractor versions per player in 2008.
2011 is 1,830, a 69% increase in refractors, which is all coming from the low end of the spectrum. Quantity is not quality. It is becoming less exciting and financially taxing to open boxes of cards to walk away with a few purple refractors to go along with a base auto.
I tracked a few Harper refractor sales, and in some cases the ref/799 sold for higher than the purple/700. Does that support the idea they are less desirable even though they are technically more scarce?

Will Topps bring in green refractors to complete the rainbow next? Or will they begin to push the envelope on gold numbering...

[youtube:3nzx1fq3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw[/youtube:3nzx1fq3]

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Topps has pushed their finger deep within the borderline of Bowman Chrome parallel norms within the past few years

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
Topps has pushed their finger deep within the borderline of Bowman Chrome parallel norms within the past few years

They've long past finger. Well beyond knuckle onto elbow!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I think everyone knows the answer but is afraid to say it - they're going to have green refractors, purple refractors, xfractors - *and* some other new ones to the mix - one day on top of what already exists ;)

I just dislike it most when different colors have the same print run.

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
JoshHamilton said:
ArtVandelay said:
JoshHamilton said:

They've long past finger. Well beyond knuckle onto elbow!

Shoulder?

I guess we'll know when 2011 BC releases. They always seem to do something inconsistent on card design and serial #ing schemes between 1st issue w/chrome and Bowman Chrome, yet they keep the numbering BCPxx between releases going like nothing happened...
(That assumes they dont overlap players like 2009 and call it 114a 114b...)

silver /500 white /599
BASEBALL007_crop.jpg

silver /250 white /275

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
In 2010 Bowman Refractors were #/777
In 2010 Bowman Chrome Refractors were #/500
In 2010 Bowman Draft Refractors were unnumbered

ArtVandelay

Jul 6, 2010
And they'll keep on digging :evil:

vwnut13 said:
In 2010 Bowman Refractors were #/777
In 2010 Bowman Chrome Refractors were #/500
This is what I mean by something inconsistent with product deisgn/numbering scheme between releases

vwnut13 said:
In 2010 Bowman Draft Refractors were unnumbered
Draft prospect refractors are not numbered, but AUTO refractors are.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I'm probably in the minority but I like them. I put together last year's set from Bowman I believe (Strasburg was card #1 and they were /999). Plentiful enough that you could do the set easy enough but still numbered so should hold some value a little. Purple doesn't bother me.

chiefer77

Mar 10, 2010
Ogdensburg, New York
I'm color blind and I can't tell the difference between blue and purple so the visual affects don't matter to me. I have to rely on the serial number. I would like to see a different color. My vote, if I had one, would be green.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I only pick up a few packs of new things when they come out so I don't follow the serial number/color scheme as much as everyone else on here. I like the look of the purple refractors. Something recently had green xfractors in it (2010 BC Retail?) that I thought were awful. Actually, I think the look of xfractors overall is just awful.

sharktitanfan

Aug 31, 2008
Junior Griffey said:
I'm probably in the minority but I like them. I put together last year's set from Bowman I believe (Strasburg was card #1 and they were /999). Plentiful enough that you could do the set easy enough but still numbered so should hold some value a little. Purple doesn't bother me.

I would agree with Junior Griffey, it allows an opportunity to put a set together that isn't impossible. I do like the xfractors as well. How about a purple xfractor set numbered to 999. Then everyone is happy. ::facepalm:: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts