Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

justin verlander just threw 132 pitches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
132? Good, that shows he's slightly less pussified than the rest of MLB's pitchers.

Yeah, I'm gonna get bashed for saying that if the right people see it, but come on. Pitchers of old threw that or more every 3 days. Nowadays it's "ZOMG, poor baby! Why did you have to throw more than 90 pitches? Go see the trainer right away! Do you need an extra week to rest? That's soo many pitches!"

You know what, I hope Trevor Bauer pitches 150+ every time out in the big leagues then gets on TV and says "Hey pitch counters, suck my ball sack."

and for the record, I think he will (remain in good physical health while throwing 150-160+ pitches/game).

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
aminors said:
132? Good, that shows he's slightly less pussified than the rest of MLB's pitchers.

Yeah, I'm gonna get bashed for saying that if the right people see it, but come on. Pitchers of old threw that or more every 3 days. Nowadays it's "ZOMG, poor baby! Why did you have to throw more than 90 pitches? Go see the trainer right away! Do you need an extra week to rest? That's soo many pitches!"

You know what, I hope Trevor Bauer pitches 150+ every time out in the big leagues then gets on TV and says "Hey pitch counters, suck my ball sack."

and for the record, I think he will (remain in good physical health while throwing 150-160+ pitches/game).

I agree. I know Carlos Zambrano has thrown 130+ on a couple of occasions too.

I had this debate with a friend of mine a few days ago and I got the old "Well pitchers today do things that pitchers back then could never do."

So basically he was referring to power pitchers and their ability to throw harder and strike more batters out. Which, is cool and all if you can keep your pitch count down in the process, but isn't necessary. I mean, Greg Maddux was efficient. Roy Halladay is efficient. Why do yo have to throw a whole slew of hard breaking balls and hard fastballs in an attempt to strikeout every batter? Great pitchers can get their strikeouts, but can throw to get a guy to ground or pop out as well and maybe even make that their first priority.

Jan 15, 2009
Hallsgator said:
poppudaimadochi said:
Hallsgator said:
Meh one of our guys threw 160 in one of his starts. If you're strong with solid mechanics, you can handle it.

I'm Trevor Bauer and I approve this message
Wouldnt go that far. Doing it once is one thing but over and over again like Bauer won't end well.
Just like Lincecum...wait, that guy has 2 Cy Youngs and a WS Ring, WTF!?!?!??!

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
aminors said:

Not going to get bashed by me. I grew up watching baseball where there was not set-up guy and no closer. A lot of guys pitched 9 innings.

Having said that I don't think it's a pitcher thing, I think it's an owner, GM, manager thing along with the way things have pregressed or digressed depending on how you look at it over the last say 20 years or so. These guys are getting payed millions of $$ so the need to protect them by the above said is extremely high. Yes it makes them look like a bunch of sissies in my book but what are you going to do. I think the pitchers themselves would want to throw more innings and pitch more complete games if they could but it's obviously out of they're control

I used to go to games with my Dad and get really good seats for $5-$8. Same seats today are more like $50-$60 at an "average" park. That's because these guys are being paid what they are and of course costs get passed on to the consumer so to speak.

It's just not the same game today and never will be like it or not. So when I see Verlander throw 132 or Bauer 160 I say Great, knowing full well though that likelyhood of this happening will be extremely sparatic at best.

And Verlander, 100 mph on his 132 pitch? This is just a telltale sign of what he and other pitchers "could" do if we went back in time and weren't in today's state of the art protection program.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
GiantsSuperCollector said:
Hallsgator said:
poppudaimadochi said:
Hallsgator said:
Meh one of our guys threw 160 in one of his starts. If you're strong with solid mechanics, you can handle it.

I'm Trevor Bauer and I approve this message
Wouldnt go that far. Doing it once is one thing but over and over again like Bauer won't end well.
Just like Lincecum...wait, that guy has 2 Cy Youngs and a WS Ring, WTF!?!?!??!
No two pitchers are the same when it comes to their arms. If Bauer is special, he could handle it, but for every Lincecum, there's hundreds of pitchers that have had arm and pitching problems due to over use in college.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Randy Shields said:
aminors said:

Not going to get bashed by me. I grew up watching baseball where there was not set-up guy and no closer. A lot of guys pitched 9 innings.

Having said that I don't think it's a pitcher thing, I think it's an owner, GM, manager thing along with the way things have pregressed or digressed depending on how you look at it over the last say 20 years or so. These guys are getting payed millions of $$ so the need to protect them by the above said is extremely high. Yes it makes them look like a bunch of sissies in my book but what are you going to do. I think the pitchers themselves would want to throw more innings and pitch more complete games if they could but it's obviously out of they're control

I used to go to games with my Dad and get really good seats for $5-$8. Same seats today are more like $50-$60 at an "average" park. That's because these guys are being paid what they are and of course costs get passed on to the consumer so to speak.

It's just not the same game today and never will be like it or not. So when I see Verlander throw 132 or Bauer 160 I say Great, knowing full well though that likelyhood of this happening will be extremely sparatic at best.

And Verlander, 100 mph on his 132 pitch? This is just a telltale sign of what he and other pitchers "could" do if we went back in time and weren't in today's state of the art protection program.

Great post. Your thanks just went up one.

I see where you're coming from with the money thing, and you're right, that's where the sissy appearance stems from. I just wish it didn't happen, because there are guys that are perfectly capable of going 150ish every time out.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
jeremy said:
why didnt they bring in al alburqurque?

I thought you were using some sarcastic name for a crappy middle reliever.

I can't believe Al Albuquerque is a real name

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Cavemen need to move out of the dark ages. In the dead ball era it was routine for pitchers to pitch complete games. Does that mean the bar has now been set?

All pitchers now throw as hard as they can velocity wise and that is too much to be throwing 100 times per game. Cutters, sliders, curves.... all that torque on the elbow and shoulder. Guys in Ryan's time used to grove it on the first strike to certain batters and throw balls out of the zone on others on a wing and a prayer. Pitching isn't the same game anymore. Those that fail to adjust, like Dusty Baker, have RUINED some great young arms. And there are people here calling for that? Shame on you.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Vagrant said:
Cavemen need to move out of the dark ages. In the dead ball era it was routine for pitchers to pitch complete games. Does that mean the bar has now been set?

All pitchers now throw as hard as they can velocity wise and that is too much to be throwing 100 times per game. Cutters, sliders, curves.... all that torque on the elbow and shoulder. Guys in Ryan's time used to grove it on the first strike to certain batters and throw balls out of the zone on others on a wing and a prayer. Pitching isn't the same game anymore. Those that fail to adjust, like Dusty Baker, have RUINED some great young arms. And there are people here calling for that? Shame on you.
Thanked.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Vagrant said:

I know that Verlander says that he holds back through the first part of games. Then lets it all out later on.

I was thinking back the other day to when he broke into the league with Zumaya, and they were in a battle to see who would start, and who would pitch in the bullpen. Imagine if Verlander lost that battle and was in the pen these days. He might be throwing 105+. He's literally the only pitcher throwing 100+ after pitching 8+ innings.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Everybody loves to bash the manhood of todays pitchers and say how much tougher the pitchers were back in the day. Noone talks about how many guys blew out there arms back then and either were mediocre pitchers halfwaynthrough there careers or had to retire in their mid to late 20's. The simple fact is that it has been proven that after 100 pitches guys are 1. more likely to injure their arms and 2. more likely to get hit/give up runs. Does it make any sense to risk injury or use a pitcher who is tiring when you have relief pitchers to come into the game?

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
Not only that, but look at the velocity of your average pitcher today as compared to those of the past. The ligaments in the arm haven't gotten stronger. The tendons and muscles in the shoulder haven't gotten more durable, but the velocity has increased on an annual basis. What does that mean? It means that quite simply a single pitch is more taxing on the arm of a guy that throws 95 MPH than it is on a guy that throws in the mid-80's the way that average starters used to throw in the 70's and even into the 80's.

It is a modern marvel that the human arm can even generate a pitch over 95 MPH, but doing it 100 times in a single day is an immense stress on the arm.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that you don't see more blown out arms.

Members online