Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Zack Wheeler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Saw SF Giants top prospect Zack Wheeler throw yesterday. My writeup (w/ video): http://bit.ly/jNdAyi

sj-giants-023.jpg

By Wes Yee

Took in last night’s San Jose Giants game featuring Giants top prospect, RHP Zack Wheeler. Wheeler was outstanding, going seven shutout innings with 12 strikeouts. He primarily featured an 88-89 MPH 2-seam fastball with run when pitching early in the count and dialed up his four seam as high as 96 MPH as a put away pitch. Early in the game he showed a 70-72 MPH changeup and a 75 MPH sharp spike curveball. His delivery is a bit herky-jerky with a slow leg kick and accelerated drive towards home. His arm action appears clean and he keeps his weight back well.

Wheeler projects as a #1 or #2 SP at the major league level, but will need to throw his 4-seamer more often to keep big league hitter’s respect. He threw probably 60-70% 2-seam fastballs at lower velocity. He seemed to have great confidence in his curve while limiting the usage of his changeup. The curve is a plus pitch that will get swingthroughs at all levels. It’s likely that he’ll be sent to AA sometime soon, as he showed improved command. The Giants have to like what they’ve seen in 2011, as he’s recorded over a strikeout per inning. He’s a valuable trade piece who could push for a call up as soon as 2012.

Video after the jump: http://bit.ly/jNdAyi

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
sheetskout said:
Wheeler to the Mets for Reyes?

For once, I'd like to see the Mets bring up and keep a good player for his whole career, and Reyes or Wright would be a good pick for me. Reyes has been so on fire this year, and I just love to watch him play.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I pray to god the Mets resign Reyes, or at least if we do trade him, trade him for premium prospects. Zach Wheeler is a solid prospect, thats about it.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Wheeler is going to have to add about 6-8 MPH to his change to make it effective. When its TOO slow, ML Hitters will pick up on it and kill it.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Nick1190 said:
I pray to god the Mets resign Reyes, or at least if we do trade him, trade him for premium prospects. Zach Wheeler is a solid prospect, thats about it.

He's a top 5-10 pitching prospect in baseball right now. It seems like a foregone conclusion that Reyes will be traded. If I'm the Mets, I make the deal.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
Nick1190 said:

He's a top 5-10 pitching prospect in baseball right now. It seems like a foregone conclusion that Reyes will be traded. If I'm the Mets, I make the deal.

5-10 really? I like him as much as the next guy but thats high

Wes

OG
Administrator
jcmint said:
LLWesMan said:
Nick1190 said:

Adam moved him into his top 20 for the last PP list. I've talked to him since and he's higher on him now then he was even then.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
jcmint said:
LLWesMan said:
Nick1190 said:

Adam moved him into his top 20 for the last PP list. I've talked to him since and he's higher on him now then he was even then.

I see could see him in the top 15-20..but no way 5-10. I would rank these pitchers higher than Wheeler. i just dont see Wheeler ever becoming a big factor in the majors. maybe I'm wrong just like i was with Hellickson and Bumgarner..

Julio Teheran
Drew Pomeranz
Shelby Miller
Matt Harvey
Dellin Betances
Allen Webster
Martin Perez
Robbie Erlin
Kyle Gibson
Jake Odorizzi
Zach Lee
Randall Delgado
Jarrod parker

Yankees1218

Jan 1, 2010
LLWesMan said:
jcmint said:
LLWesMan said:
Nick1190 said:

10 guys i put before him:

1. Shelby Miller
2. Jameson Taillon
3. Julio Teheran
4. Jacob Turner
5. Matt Moore
6. Drew Pomeranz
7. Matt Harvey
8. Dellin Betances
9. Jarrod Parker
10. Robbie Erlin

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
LLWesMan said:
Saw SF Giants top prospect Zack Wheeler throw yesterday. My writeup (w/ video): http://bit.ly/jNdAyi

sj-giants-023.jpg

By Wes Yee

Took in last night’s San Jose Giants game featuring Giants top prospect, RHP Zack Wheeler. Wheeler was outstanding, going seven shutout innings with 12 strikeouts. He primarily featured an 88-89 MPH 2-seam fastball with run when pitching early in the count and dialed up his four seam as high as 96 MPH as a put away pitch. Early in the game he showed a 70-72 MPH changeup and a 75 MPH sharp spike curveball. His delivery is a bit herky-jerky with a slow leg kick and accelerated drive towards home. His arm action appears clean and he keeps his weight back well.

Wheeler projects as a #1 or #2 SP at the major league level, but will need to throw his 4-seamer more often to keep big league hitter’s respect. He threw probably 60-70% 2-seam fastballs at lower velocity. He seemed to have great confidence in his curve while limiting the usage of his changeup. The curve is a plus pitch that will get swingthroughs at all levels. It’s likely that he’ll be sent to AA sometime soon, as he showed improved command. The Giants have to like what they’ve seen in 2011, as he’s recorded over a strikeout per inning. He’s a valuable trade piece who could push for a call up as soon as 2012.

Video after the jump: http://bit.ly/jNdAyi

Cool story. Nice work!

- jkeys

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
GarkoCollector said:
Wheeler is going to have to add about 6-8 MPH to his change to make it effective. When its TOO slow, ML Hitters will pick up on it and kill it.

The key to an effective changeup is the speed differential, which keeps the hitter off balance. So actually, the slower the change compared to the fastball, as long as it still looks like a fastball, is what keeps the hitter guessing. There is a point where the change becomes TOO slow compared to a fastball that a good hitter can re-adjust, but since he throws primarily 88-90, a 72 mph changeup (as long as it looks like a fastball coming out of his hand) is fine.

Example: Johan Santana in his prime threw 92-96 mph fastballs, and 76-79 mph changeups, and was one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball using those 2 pitches.

Members online

Latest posts