Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Topps Pro Debut - ouch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
The two cards I wanted in Topps Pro Debut were Michael Pineda auto and the Ackley/Machado dual auto. Both are not in the live checklist, ouch. The two best hits in the auto set are not included after being listed in the preliminary checklist.

Original Checklist
viewer-4.png

Actual Checklist

scan0085-3.jpg
scan0086-3.jpg

Glad I decided to buy singles instead of boxes.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
ThoseBackPages said:
dont those three guys already have autos from past releases?

Pineda has a retail exclusive auto from 2011 Bowman and no other auto out there. This was going to be his first 'hobby auto'.

And the Machado/Ackley dual would have been a dual auto of two of the top infield prospects in baseball. It would have been an expensive card to say the least.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
frzg said:
ThoseBackPages said:
dont those three guys already have autos from past releases?

Pineda has a retail exclusive auto from 2011 Bowman and no other auto out there. This was going to be his first 'hobby auto'.

And the Machado/Ackley dual would have been a dual auto of two of the top infield prospects in baseball. It would have been an expensive card to say the least.

ahh ok. Bummer indeed then.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Forgive me if I'm looking right at it in the original post, but is there an actual live checklist of the dual autographs that are included?

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
jlecates said:
Forgive me if I'm looking right at it in the original post, but is there an actual live checklist of the dual autographs that are included?

Whoops, updated

tommyfro21

Aug 8, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
what a load of garbage. I wonder how many cases B&B bought?

Kevin

I think he said 4 cases if I remember correctly. He is buying 32 cases of Topps Series 2 though!

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
Honestly, this affects me very little. I'm not happy about it, but oh well. From what I've read about 2010, the autos are not the strong part of this product anyway.

And you can't really get mad at Topps. In the fine print, they say they may have to substitute. It's all part of the risk of pre-ordering. This could have easily gone the other way with Topps beefing up the checklist and the price jumping. Win some, lose some.

I'll still have fun opening this product as I do with everything else I've opened. As long as I get my junkie fix, I'm cool.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Ouch, the fact that the GU cards are regular sized kind of makes the product lose its appeal.

The Jumbo Swatches/Patches/Logos/Tags were AWESOME last year!

Hopefully series two will have Jumbos again as they will be Futures Game swatches, but I doubt it.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
sportscardfanatic said:
Honestly, this affects me very little. I'm not happy about it, but oh well. From what I've read about 2010, the autos are not the strong part of this product anyway.

And you can't really get mad at Topps. In the fine print, they say they may have to substitute. It's all part of the risk of pre-ordering. This could have easily gone the other way with Topps beefing up the checklist and the price jumping. Win some, lose some.

I'll still have fun opening this product as I do with everything else I've opened. As long as I get my junkie fix, I'm cool.

I don't understand this mentality. Maybe you preordered on the first day and if that's the case, so it goes. But what about the guy that ordered a case last week or two weeks ago, where at this point Topps was clearly well aware that two huge hits wouldn't be in the product. Instead of informing the distributors, they just sit on it and let the preorders come rolling in.

Everyone understand that checklists are subject to change, but here's the thing: When the manufacturer sends the BOX CHECKLIST out to the printer, they should take that box checklist and put it online and give it to the retailers and distributors. It takes like 20 seconds in the digital world and by not doing it, they come off as ********* that are misleading their consumers on purpose.

So yah, when they know they're not going to get autographs and send the ******* checklist out, how about they take that pdf file and fire it out to the consumer.

crowTrobot

Nov 4, 2010
vwnut13 said:
Ouch, the fact that the GU cards are regular sized kind of makes the product lose its appeal.

Hopefully series two will have Jumbos again as they will be Futures Game swatches, but I doubt it.

one series. unless topps lied about that, too.

SportsCardMojo

Aug 22, 2010
MD
pigskincardboard said:
sportscardfanatic said:

I don't understand this mentality. Maybe you preordered on the first day and if that's the case, so it goes. But what about the guy that ordered a case last week or two weeks ago, where at this point Topps was clearly well aware that two huge hits wouldn't be in the product. Instead of informing the distributors, they just sit on it and let the preorders come rolling in.

Everyone understand that checklists are subject to change, but here's the thing: When the manufacturer sends the BOX CHECKLIST out to the printer, they should take that box checklist and put it online and give it to the retailers and distributors. It takes like 20 seconds in the digital world and by not doing it, they come off as ********* that are misleading their consumers on purpose.

So yah, when they know they're not going to get autographs and send the fracking checklist out, how about they take that pdf file and fire it out to the consumer.

I totally understand your frustration, but there's no argument that can be made. The fine print says it's subject to change and they will substitute if necessary. It's no surprise that Topps would do something like this, as this is not the first time. I'm not saying what they did is right. I'm just saying, there's not much of an argument that can be made with regards to this. It sucks. Plain and simple. Topps should have thought about the collectors, yes. But they didn't, and it's a mark on them.

I ordered a case a while back and then ordered another case on Friday. So yeah...I'm pretty heavily invested in this. But there's nothing I can do about it now. It was a pre-order and I took the risk and will probably lose heavily. If I'm going to lose money on this, I might as well make the most of it and have fun ripping. Hold on to those wrappers...hopefully Topps makes this right and adds value to this product.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
crowTrobot said:
vwnut13 said:

one series. unless topps lied about that, too.

Well that is dumb if true.

The Futures Game Relics were the only thing worthwhile in the product.

Topps screwed up yet another product.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts