Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay win puzzles me...can anyone explain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
So I bid on an item at 1054 CT this morning.
I know when I bid it said there was like 21 hours left in the bidding.
Just to verify, I looked at the bid history.

packerfan4life2002 US $200.00 May-30-11 10:54:49 PDT

Starting Price US $200.00 May-30-11 07:38:12 PDT

So the auction started at 9:38 AM CT
I bid at 12:54 PM CT

How is it possible that the bidding has already ended for this and I have won?

Bidders:1 Bids:1 Time Ended:May-30-11 16:53:53 PDT Duration:1 day

Is it possible that the seller ended the auction early and made me the winner? Would I be able to tell this someplace?

I'm asking cause if thats true, the seller just took a $95 hit on this item, they bought the item 4 days ago. Also, I just looked at their feedback history, been a member since 2/18/11, 792 feedbacks (all as a buyer, so that is insane to me) and not One feedback as a seller.

Thoughts?

allstarauction

Aug 7, 2008
It is possible for a seller to end an item early and sell it to the high bidder. I have never done it or had it happen to me so not sure about the notification.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
Musial Collector said:
So I bid on an item at 1054 CT this morning.
I know when I bid it said there was like 21 hours left in the bidding.
Just to verify, I looked at the bid history.

packerfan4life2002 US $200.00 May-30-11 10:54:49 PDT

Starting Price US $200.00 May-30-11 07:38:12 PDT

So the auction started at 9:38 AM CT
I bid at 12:54 PM CT

How is it possible that the bidding has already ended for this and I have won?

Bidders:1 Bids:1 Time Ended:May-30-11 16:53:53 PDT Duration:1 day

Is it possible that the seller ended the auction early and made me the winner? Would I be able to tell this someplace?

I'm asking cause if thats true, the seller just took a $95 hit on this item, they bought the item 4 days ago. Also, I just looked at their feedback history, been a member since 2/18/11, 792 feedbacks (all as a buyer, so that is insane to me) and not One feedback as a seller.

Thoughts?
yes see if it is in your won section or if your able to pay for it.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
guy decided to end auction cus he didnt want to sell, but screwed up the cancel bids portion of it.
just my guess

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
MarlinsManiac20 said:
yes see if it is in your won section or if your able to pay for it.

It is in my purchase history, however I cannot see if the seller ended it early or not.
I mean I know they did, the proof is above, Im just curious as to why they would do this and take such a hit when they could have let it run its course (another 16 hours) and maybe gotten more for it. So so :? :? :?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
boomo said:
guy decided to end auction cus he didnt want to sell, but screwed up the cancel bids portion of it.
just my guess

Thats my thought too. Its a steal of a deal, thats the thing.
If I pay, wonder if they will try and walk with my funds, or just refund and say they effed up.

Hmmmmmmm........................

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
Musial Collector said:
boomo said:
just my guess

Thats my thought too. Its a steal of a deal, thats the thing.
If I pay, wonder if they will try and walk with my funds, or just refund and say they effed up.

Hmmmmmmm........................

Why dont you just email the seller and just ask???? smh.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
"the seller just took a $95 hit on this item, they bought the item 4 days ago." ....this is the biggest Red Flag!

Nobody does that on purpose!

Im guessing screwup, or scam... but you never ever know, Ive seen very strange things on eBay.

$95 of what?? what's the value/his buy price?

One thing that crossed my mind is I remember a time where a guy rigged a sale on eBay of a very rare card (using stolen scans) just so he could show another dealer the finished auction price and the dealer would take his lowball offer on a very rare vintage card. didnt work, only because the cards are so unique wear wise it was traced.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Roy Birchler said:
The seller has 1 feedback as a seller now, a negative.
Nice research Roy ;)

fkw said:
"the seller just took a $95 hit on this item, they bought the item 4 days ago." ....this is the biggest Red Flag!

Nobody does that on purpose!

Im guessing screwup, or scam... but you never ever know, Ive seen very strange things on eBay.

$95 of what?? what's the value/his buy price?

One thing that crossed my mind is I remember a time where a guy rigged a sale on eBay of a very rare card (using stolen scans) just so he could show another dealer the finished auction price and the dealer would take his lowball offer on a very rare vintage card. didnt work, only because the cards are so unique wear wise it was traced.

Yes, his buy price.
Seller paid 295 four days ago
Opening bid on a 24 hour auction was 200
Seller ended early for some reason, so I did send the seller an email, we'll see what I get in return.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
You can tell if the auction was ended early without asking. Just click on the "Bid History" link at the top. That will bring you to the bid page. The first bid listed on bottom will show you the start price and time, and near the top of the page you will find the number of bidders, number of bids, the time it ended and duration of the auction. If you compare the time ended to the time started, you can tell if it was ended early.

And sellers do take big hits on items....not long ago I purchased an unopened pack on Ebay for $975, this same pack had sold at auction a few months before for over $2200. The buyer took a HUGE loss, but I didn't ask why. And I know it was the same pack because it was PSA graded.

I hope your seller comes through for you, let us know how it works out.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Tedw9 said:
You can tell if the auction was ended early without asking. Just click on the "Bid History" link at the top. That will bring you to the bid page. The first bid listed on bottom will show you the start price and time, and near the top of the page you will find the number of bidders, number of bids, the time it ended and duration of the auction. If you compare the time ended to the time started, you can tell if it was ended early.

And sellers do take big hits on items....not long ago I purchased an unopened pack on Ebay for $975, this same pack had sold at auction a few months before for over $2200. The buyer took a HUGE loss, but I didn't ask why. And I know it was the same pack because it was PSA graded.

I hope your seller comes through for you, let us know how it works out.

I know it was ended early, as I had already gone thru the steps you listed above and put 2 and 2 together.
And I agree, sellers will take hits, but 4 days after a purchase, thats just fishy to me.
I sent the seller an email, we'll see if they respond.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Here is message I got from seller:

these cards were put up for sale by a family member without my permission...ALL MONIES HAVE BEEN REFUNDED TO EVERYONE INCLUDING YOU

So I hadnt paid yet, so no biggie on the refunding part.

So it begs the question, do you neg a seller cause supposedly someone in his family ****** with him?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Tedw9 said:

Not to get too off topic but I actually just received an item(items actually) where the seller lost his rear on the deal IMO. It's not a ton of money involved but I actually feel a little bad.

I won a white jersey variant Jeff Bagwell McFarlane figurine about a month ago. I saw it for an opening bid of $0.99 and I was getting ancy because I've been waiting to snag one for a while but never wanted to pay the $15-$20 plus shipping they always seemed to go for. Well I end up winning it for the 99 cents and $8.50 to ship. I was happy. Well it took forever but I finally get the figure today. I was a little ticked because it took so long but my main priority was just getting it. I don't like to be too pushy as I figure doing so might jeopardize my chances of them sending. Especially on a deal where the dude basically made no money on the deal.

Today, I got a package with shipping to the tune of $14.95 on it. It was a bit heavier than I expected so I open it up and there is not only the white variant but the regular version too. He paid $6 more to ship the items than I even paid total. Not to mention at this point, the items were basically free. I sent him an email asking if he sent both figures by mistake as it never said anything about two figures in the auction. I doubt it was a mistake but I went from being upset at the delayed shipping to feeling downright bad for the dude. We will see what he says.

But yes...sellers do sometimes lose money on deals. And they always seem to ship in the most expensive manner when it's a bigger package necessary. I've had guys send me 1,000 ct. lots and they send it in one of those long boxes or some other weird amalgam of boxes put together and shipping is an outrageous amount. They could easily ship in one of those flat rate boxes and save a good $4 or $5. I had a guy send me an 800 ct. lot of Bagwells in a box as long as a damn baseball bat! In fact that is what i thought it was when I saw it propped up against my screen door. He paid more to ship than I paid for the lot total. Sometimes I wonder...

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Musial Collector said:
So it begs the question, do you neg a seller cause supposedly someone in his family fracked with him?

I'd just move on. You didn't really lose anything, he just screwed up by not cancelling bids before he ended auction.. however, if you see him relist the item in any way you could probably consider negging him.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
predatorkj said:
Tedw9 said:

Not to get too off topic but I actually just received an item(items actually) where the seller lost his rear on the deal IMO. It's not a ton of money involved but I actually feel a little bad.

I've got a similar story involving patience. Back in 2002 I used to get beat on every good CC auction. Man I hated that Indians collector that always beat me. Then CC got traded and the guy sold his CC collection on ebay. I won those same cards for like 1/10th of what he paid, just had to wait 6 years or so. He was really cool and sold me a bunch of stuff for super cheap, and threw in a bunch of stuff for free. It was glorious!! I searched for this one for years and years, and never saw one: 2000 Bowman Chrome Retro/Future Refractors 198. He gave it to me for $3. :eek:

Sorry to hear about it OP, but I kinda suspected that something like this was going to happen when I first read your OP.

Members online

Latest posts