Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Northwoods League Opener thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I know this thread won't get as much play here as it would on Neshek's, but I figured I would start it up anyway.

Stingers start at 7 tonight against the Border Cats. We won't have half the team we did last year... it seems that one of our star players returned to play for the Canadian Collegiate team last year, and our BIG star is going to tear up in the Cape Cod league this year. We do have a good share of the returning squad, but a lot of DII guys as well.

I wish I could go to tonight's game, but I have homework to do. I will for sure go to many games this summer.

Other matchups (along with the listed probable pitchers):

Eau Claire Wisconsin
La Crosse Green Bay Tim Peterson Tim Giel
Alexandria Brainerd Charlie Henderson
ThunderBay Willmar Stefan Olson Thomas Taylor
St.Cloud Duluth Andy Urban Ben Hughes
Rochester Mankato Alex Alemann Blake Schwartz
Waterloo Battle Creek Jordan Goldschmidt
Madison Wis Rapids Rusty Shellhorn Brian Hill

Anyone got any USA alums on their team?

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
A couple guys I know are playing up there this year are Michael Lorenzen, OF, CS Fullerton and Sam Selman, LHP, Vanderbilt. Not sure who both are playing for, but definitely guys to keep an eye on.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
jlecates said:
A couple guys I know are playing up there this year are Michael Lorenzen, OF, CS Fullerton and Sam Selman, LHP, Vanderbilt. Not sure who both are playing for, but definitely guys to keep an eye on.

I have seen Lorenzen play, he is straight up beast. Not heard much about Selman.

Going to figure it out quick...

EDIT:

Lorenzen - St. Cloud River Bats ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Selman - Mankato

I should be able to see each of them play.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
i love Independent Baseball promotional schedule. They focus probably 75% of their operating budget on free useful items. Any idea on who the Twins player wlll be on Twins day ?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
19braves77 said:
i love Independent Baseball promotional schedule. They focus probably 75% of their operating budget on free useful items ? Any idea on who the Twins player wlll be on Twins day ?

Which team? Last year here, it was Oliva. They had Molitor on Opening Day (got him on an OLB ::facepalm:: ). They also had Sgt. Slaughter, a pro golfer and basketball player (Gophers night, it got rained out, but the golfer stayed around for the next day since he was from Willmar).

They don't release that stuff until the night before the game. Def. worth going too though. Lines are short, and free. You can get doubles too (I usually don't, but you technically can).

EDIT: Oh, many teams ALSO had Roscoe P. Coltrane for a little entertainment and autos. You had to pay for his, but it was worth it. Great guy!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Decided I am going to every St. Cloud game this year (5 or so, granted Michael will go to Team USA. I should see him play at least once), 1 Mankato game, and every night there is a special appearance, as well as some random games.

I will also be in Brainerd for a couple games too. IDK who will show up

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Here are the free DAV Baseball card set giveaway days in the league:

Battle Creek Bombers Saturday, July 16 Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
Waterloo Bucks Thursday, July 21 Madison Mallards
Mankato MoonDogs Sunday, July 24 Duluth Huskies
Rochester Honkers Wednesday, July 27 Mankato MoonDogs
Brainard Lunkers Monday, August 8 Rochester Honkers
Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Wednesday, August 10 Eau Claire Express
Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Saturday, August 13 Eau Claire Express

Grab a couple of these. They sell well on Ebay due to DAV collectors needing them to complete sets. Last years set were actually nice.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I missed out on Stingers last year (wasn't a DAV, but it was still nice... missed out on some good autos). If I had a way to get there, I would gladly do that.

I am looking for a Curtis Granderson Mankato card myself... They exist, but are VERY rare.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I need to go to more Mallards' games this year. Warner Park is just down the street from me, and The Duck Blind is always a good time.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Got my Eau Claire Express pocket Schedule right here. Lots of cool giveaways. The home opener is tomorow night and the giveaway is a magnet schedule. Wow. But it does get better. June 9 is a NWL Championship baseball, June 20 begins a week of poster nights. 20th--Nolan Fadness, (plus a special appearance by Chicago Blackhawk, Eau Claire native, Jake Dowell) 21st--Jordan Zimmerman (our most famous alumni), 22nd--Cole Calhoun, 23rd--David Cales, 24th--Mark Hallberg, 25th--Jacob Jefferies. There's a couple trading card nights, and July 25th is Twins night, with an appearance by Al Newman. I don't go to many games, but we have three--three teams in EC. The Express, the EC Cavaliers who have been around forever, and the Eau Claire Bears--a throwback name to when the EC Bears were a minor league affiliate of the Boston Braves. Later they became the Eau Claire Braves and an 18-year old shorstop from Alabama made his professional debut. He's got a statue at the park now--Henry Aaron.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I would go just to see the stadiums.

If one of you had the time to blog and video the players, you will get a lot of hits mainly from parents and scouts.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
19braves77 said:
I would go just to see the stadiums.

If one of you had the time to blog and video the players, you will get a lot of hits mainly from parents and scouts.

I worked on that last year for a game. I was filming our star player, but I never brought the camera again. If you check my youtube page, there are a lot of different videos of players hitting and pitching. I don't do it for a scouting aspect, just for fun.

Greg, I think i PMed you but Gaeitti is doing a free signing somewhere in the league. Probably a ways away from you, but I thought you might like to know about that.

Braves: The games themselves are addicting. I enjoy the stadiums, but the games are better IMO.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
La Crosse Loggers games are one of the things I miss most about that wonderful town. Nothing like getting black-out drunk on the beer porch, and then heading downtown afterwards. Fun times, fun stadium.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Slette said:
La Crosse Loggers games are one of the things I miss most about that wonderful town. Nothing like getting black-out drunk on the beer porch, and then heading downtown afterwards. Fun times, fun stadium.

They have a nice stadium.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
theplasticman said:
Should be making it to 12-15 Honkers games. Hope I get to see Lorenzen.

I am going next week to see him. I doubt he will pitch (nothing ever goes my way lol) but hopefully.

None of the live streams are working, well, at least Willmar's isn't. They started broadcasting on the radio but the feed isn't good enough.

That's too bad...

Going to plan my year out on Friday... Looks like every St. Cloud game until Lorenzen goes to USA (if he does), as well as 5-6 others.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Figured that I would send this one up for tonight. Let's keep some discussion going!

I think the Stingers lost to the Border Cats... of all teams... They are good during the beginning of the season, but then always fall a few weeks in... Canada law + college kids = uh oh...

Members online