Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My annual All-Star roster predictions - both NL and AL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I enjoy doing this every year, even though hardly anyone cares. I like to see how close I can get to the exact original rosters (so not counting replacements). Last year I was barely over 60% right; and like last year I'm going to have a really tough time b/c it is another "year of the pitcher" where it seems that 50 pitchers deserve to make the All-Star team. My best was just under 80% right in 2007. Each team will have 34 players and it is harder than it sounds b/c:

-I try to predict who the fans will vote in. If I'm wrong in any of those selections and the player doesn't deserve to make the team (i.e. Derek Jeter) I automatically will not get 100% b/c I left someone off the roster that did make it.
-Also you have to be conscious about every team needing a representative so players who look like they should be on the team, I may not pick b/c the Orioles need to have Ty Wigginton on the team ::facepalm::
-I have no clue who the final vote will be and the probability that I get them right is slim to none.

So before you start the bashing, take the three above points into consideration.

Without further ado - here are my predictions for the 34 players that will make the NL and AL All-Star team!

American League:

STARTERS:

C - Russ Martin - Yankees
1B - Adrian Gonzalez - Red Sox
2B - Robinson Cano - Yankees
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera - Indians
3B - Alex Rodriguez - Yankees
OF - Jose Bautista - Blue Jays
OF - Ichiro Suzuki - Mariners
OF - Josh Hamilton - Rangers
DH - David Ortiz - Red Sox
P - James Shields - Rays

Explanation: I'm really taking a chance here saying Asdrubal will catch up with Jeter in votes. But mainly I didnt want to put Martin, Jeter, Cano, and ARod in the starting lineup. And I think with his performance he has a better shot at catcing Jeter than Beltre does catching ARod. Also I think Hamilton and Ichiro and Big Papi are all popular enough to catch the ones they are behind in voting. As far as the starting pitcher it really is a shot in the dark. There are like a dozen pitchers it could be.

RESERVES

C - Matt Wieters - Orioles
1B - Paul Konerko - White Sox
1B - Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
2B - Howie Kendrick - Angels
SS - Jhonny Peralta - Tigers
3B - Adrian Beltre - Rangers
OF - Matt Joyce - Rays
OF - Curtis Granderson - Yankees
OF - Alex Gordon - Royals
OF - Jason Kubel - Twins
UTIL - Michael Young - Rangers

SP - Jon Lester - Red Sox
SP - Josh Tomlin - Indians
SP - Josh Beckett - Red Sox
SP - Alexi Ogando - Rangers
SP - Trevor Cahill - Athletics
SP - Jered Weaver - Angels
SP - Dan Haren - Angels
SP - C.J. Wilson - Rangers
RP - Mariano Rivera - Yankees
RP - Chris Perez - Indians
RP - Neftali Feliz - Rangers
RP - Kyle Farnsworth - Rays
RP - Jose Valverde - Tigers

Explanation: I think Ichiro, Bautista, Wieters, Kubel, Cahill, Konerko, and Gordon will be the reps for their respective teams. The starting pitchers were the hardest to select b/c there are so many deserving pitchers (I considered Pineda but I think either A). his #'s wont be as good by the AS break or B). too many other veterans will be just as deserving). Besides I see Ogando and Wilson (and possibly even Colby Lewis) making the team b/c of Ron Washington being the manager.

National League:

STARTERS:

C - Brian McCann - Braves
1B - Albert Pujols - Cardinals
2B - Brandon Phillips - Reds
SS - Troy Tulowitzki - Rockies
3B - Chipper Jones - Braves
OF - Ryan Braun - Brewers
OF - Lance Berkman - Cardinals
OF - Matt Kemp - Dodgers
DH - Jay Bruce - Reds
P - Jair Jurrjens - Braves

Explanation: I think Holliday going on the DL will take votes away and Kemp will take his spot. I think Chipper gets the sympathy votes for being at the end of an illustrious career and overtakes Polanco. I think Pujols just outedges Votto for 1B. I think Bochy will choose Bruce to DH for the NL squad and Jurrjens to pitch.

RESERVES:

C - Yadier Molina - Cardinals
1B - Joey Votto - Reds
1B - Prince Fielder - Brewers
2B - Rickie Weeks - Brewers
SS - Jose Reyes - Mets
SS - Starlin Castro - Cubs
3B - Placido Polanco - Phillies
OF - Matt Holliday - Cardinals
OF - Mike Stanton - Marlins
OF - Hunter Pence - Astros
OF - Justin Upton - Diamondbacks

SP - Roy Halladay - Phillies
SP - Tim Lincecum - Giants
SP - Kyle Loshe - Cardinals
SP - Kevin Correia - Pirates
SP - Anibal Sanchez - Marlins
SP - Cole Hamels - Phillies
SP - Clayton Kershaw - Dodgers
SP - Shaun Marcum - Brewers
RP - Brian Wilson - Giants
RP - Leo Nunez - Marlins
RP - JJ Putz - Diamondbacks
RP - Heath Bell - Padres
RP - Drew Storen - Nationals

Explanation: Apologies to Josh Johnson (i don't think he'll pitch enough if he comes back from injury), Charlie Morton, Bud Norris, Tommy Hanson, Ian Kennedy, Jamie Garcia and all the other relief pitchers that have a low ERA and WHIP and high save total.

Storen, Bell, Reyes, Castro, Correia, Pence and Tulo are the reps for their teams. I chose Upton over Ethier b/c Upton is on fire and is hitting the bombs and stealing the bases. The backup 2B could be Weeks, could be Kelly Johnson, heck it could be Danny Espinosa as the Nats rep if Storen isn't picked.

I really thought this through so if you are looking for an explanation, flame away.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I'd add Pineda and Pauley for the M's

David Pauley is overlooked in the AL right now but hes probably been the best reliever in the AL this season.

33.1 IP, 0.81 ERA, 0.69 WHIP

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
I'm a Braves fan - but I think it would be a travesty if Chipper gets the nod at 3B over Polanco.

My buddy thought that Jurrjens gets the start at P - As of right now he would be correct although can't count Halladay out

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
asw37 said:
andrew mccutchen?

I'm pretty confident the Pirates will have one rep and considering they have the only pitcher with 8 wins in the MLB, it is a safe bet it will be Correia.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
hagausaf said:
Johnny Venters is the best RP in the NL and hell all of baseball. 0.52 ERA in 34.2 IP. He's gotta be added somehow.

Probably is the best reliever is baseball right now. But middle relievers HARDLY ever get chosen. Maybe like 1-2 per decade?

Plus it will only take a couple innings of giving up a run or 2 and his ERA won't be as standout-ish anymore.

On the other hand, he could continue to dominate and take a closer's spot! I am predicting he won't make it.

Same with David Pauley.

Jason Berken has similar #'s at this point last year. Yes, Jason Berken.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
mannyramirezcollec said:
I dont see anyone starting over Reyes at short

Considering Tulo's vote total is over 900k and the next SS, which isn't Jose Reyes, only has 450k votes, I would say it is safe to assume Jose Reyes isn't starting the All-Star game.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
markakis8 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
Lance Berkman as a starter? :lol:

I don't get it, what's so funny about that?

I don't see him as a starter and that is why I find it funny.

Will he be an All-Star? Probably but I don't think he'll start. Yes, I know he is 3rd in the voting right now but it's still early. Just my opinion, you don't have to get it or like it.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
markakis8 said:
[quote="Reds in 2009":uh3za3hw]Lance Berkman as a starter? :lol:

Will he be an All-Star? Probably but I don't think he'll start. Yes, I know he is 3rd in the voting right now but it's still early. Just my opinion, you don't have to get it or like it.[/quote:uh3za3hw]

I'm not offended. I just took the laughing emoticon as "what an outrageous prediction" when it isn't far-fetched at all.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
markakis8 said:
Reds in 2009 said:
markakis8 said:
[quote="Reds in 2009":2y1h5i6m]Lance Berkman as a starter? :lol:

Will he be an All-Star? Probably but I don't think he'll start. Yes, I know he is 3rd in the voting right now but it's still early. Just my opinion, you don't have to get it or like it.

I'm not offended. I just took the laughing emoticon as "what an outrageous prediction" when it isn't far-fetched at all.[/quote:2y1h5i6m]

No worries...I just laughed when I thought of Lance Berkman being a starter. It could very well happen but I just don't think it will.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
markakis8 said:
American League:

STARTERS:

SS - Asdrubal Cabrera - Indians
OF - Josh Hamilton - Rangers
P - James Shields - Rays

RESERVES

C - Matt Wieters - Orioles
1B - Paul Konerko - White Sox
1B - Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
2B - Howie Kendrick - Angels
SS - Jhonny Peralta - Tigers
3B - Adrian Beltre - Rangers
OF - Matt Joyce - Rays
OF - Alex Gordon - Royals
OF - Jason Kubel - Twins
UTIL - Michael Young - Rangers

SP - Jon Lester - Red Sox
SP - Josh Tomlin - Indians
SP - Josh Beckett - Red Sox
SP - Alexi Ogando - Rangers
SP - Trevor Cahill - Athletics
SP - Jered Weaver - Angels
SP - Dan Haren - Angels
SP - C.J. Wilson - Rangers
RP - Mariano Rivera - Yankees
RP - Chris Perez - Indians
RP - Neftali Feliz - Rangers
RP - Kyle Farnsworth - Rays
RP - Jose Valverde - Tigers

Just for fun I'll throw in an AL prediction too. My picks aren't who I think should go, but who's most likely to end up starting. Plus weird situations because each team has to have one guy.

STARTERS:

SS - Derek Jeter - Yankees
P - Jered Weaver - Angels

RESERVES:

C: Alex Avila - Tigers
1B: Paul Konerko - White Sox
1B: Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
2B: Asdrubal Cabrera - Indians (I think they take him and use him here)
SS: Jhonny Peralta - Tigers
3B: Adrián Béltre - Rangers
OF: Matt Joyce - Rays
OF: Adam Jones - Orioles
OF: Alex Gordon - Royals
OF: Jacoby Ellsbury - Red Sox (I was going Kubel but he's hurt now)
DH: Micheal Young - Rangers

P: Josh Beckett - Red Sox
P: James Shields - Rays
P: Dan Haren - Angels
P: Trevor Cahill - A's
P: Alexi Ogando - Rangers
P: CC Sabathia - Yankees
P: Justin Verlander - Tigers
P: Mariano Rivera - Yankees
P: Chris Pérez - Indians
P: José Valverde - Tigers
P: Matt Capps - Twins (they have to have someone who's actually healthy)
P: Kyle Farnsworth - Rays

This is harder this year than normal. The Twins situation with almost no one left healthy really messes stuff up. Kubel was probably the best shot, but now I think they go Capps. If not Capps the only other choice is Span. Which might knock Adam Jones out, which will probably knock out Avila so the Orioles get their rep in Weiters.