Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA San Francisco Giants Top 10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
mbumgarner09428309ds.jpg

1. Madison Bumgarner, lhp
2. Buster Posey, c
3. Angel Villalona, 1b
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
5. Nick Noonan, 2b
6. Ehire Adrianza, ss
7. Conor Gillaspie, 3b
8. Rafael Rodriguez, of
9. Scott Barnes, lhp
10. Sergio Romo, rhp

Here is the link to Baseball America. The chat is at 1:30 PT.

Yeah Noonan and Barnes. Adrianza is a shocker to me.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
Found this yesterday in the ESPN Jim Callis chat and since it's relevant.
J.P. (Springfield, IL): After Price, who is the top pitcher in the minors in your eyes - Hanson or Feliz?

SportsNation Jim Callis: Madison Bumgarner.
Link

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
I think knee injuries have brought down Sosa's status. His stuff is still nasty but lacking control.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I just read about Adrianza. They think that he will be the next great shortstop in the system if he can continue performing. He can supposedly field like Omar Vizquel. The question is - can he hit?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I kind of equate Sosa to a much smaller scale version of FDLS (Fautino De Los Santos); Sosa has great stuff, with nagging leg injuries whereas FDLS has AMAZING stuff (think Porcello) but has a major arm injury and is currently recovering form TJ surgery.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
darocker80 said:
Bumgarner has better control than Alderson according to BA.

The difference between Bumgarner and Alderson is that Alderson has better secondary pitches, while Bumgarner has a wicked fastball. That could translate in the future to Bumgarner becoming a reliever unless he can develop and use his secondary pitches effectively.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Lets make this clear lol. So you are saying that Bumgarner will become a reliever with a 90+ fast ball, and the length to go 6 every night. Not a chance. Bumganer's body is built for a starter and that is what he will stay. He clearly has one of if not the best pick off moves in the minors and he HAS SECONDARY STUFF. People say that he doesn't and many scouts will tell you that towards the end of the season he picked up his secondary stuff tremendously.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
jbone17 said:
Lets make this clear lol. So you are saying that Bumgarner will become a reliever with a 90+ fast ball, and the length to go 6 every night. Not a chance. Bumganer's body is built for a starter and that is what he will stay. He clearly has one of if not the best pick off moves in the minors and he HAS SECONDARY STUFF. People say that he doesn't and many scouts will tell you that towards the end of the season he picked up his secondary stuff tremendously.

If every player who had the body built to be a starter, then why aren't they all dominating or starting. I think that this year will be the true test for Bumgarner, since he spent last year in Low A in Augusta, while Alderson spent last year in High A in San Jose. They will both be in AA this year. We'll see who stands out this year.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
JacobAlastra said:
Wow, who are they going to boot? Zito back to the pen? Trade Sanchez? Why the hell did they get Randy then lol

ru4scuba said:
JacobAlastra said:
why arnt Roger Kieschnick and Kevin Pucetas on there?

I just read the Giants are giving Puck a legitimate shot at the 5th starter spot!! :eek:

I heard that too. I wonder if Sanchez or Zito will be gone this season.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
We won't need to see that because they will both be very effective. I will agree with Alderson having the better secondary, but Bumgarner is not that far behind. He had to face some tough talent in the SAL this year and he did very good. Bumgarner will most likely be in AA, but don't rule out the San Jose possibility yet. Skipping a level is usually never good, but he should do fine regardless of where he goes.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
jbone17 said:
We won't need to see that because they will both be very effective. I will agree with Alderson having the better secondary, but Bumgarner is not that far behind. He had to face some tough talent in the SAL this year and he did very good. Bumgarner will most likely be in AA, but don't rule out the San Jose possibility yet. Skipping a level is usually never good, but he should do fine regardless of where he goes.

Believe me, I think they will both be good. I just don't want to be overly optimistic. :)

qualitycards94

Dec 1, 2008
lisu said:
jbone17 said:

If every player who had the body built to be a starter, then why aren't they all dominating or starting. I think that this year will be the true test for Bumgarner, since he spent last year in Low A in Augusta, while Alderson spent last year in High A in San Jose. They will both be in AA this year. We'll see who stands out this year.

Very good point. AA is a good test for ALL pitchers. It tends to weed out a lot of guys. Bumgarner did improve his secondary stuff, but not to a professional pitchers point-not yet at least.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Q: Meta from Atlanta asks:
I am surprised not to see Henry Sosa in the top 10. How far did he fall?

A: Moderator: Sosa fell to No.13 on the list. He had a rough season following what was supposed to be relatively minor knee surgery in October, 2008. He came back at the end of May, wasn't getting the same velocity and struggled all year to repeat his mechanics. Sosa really burst on the scene the previous season, so it's a little easier to believe '08 might have been the exception rather than the rule. He's still got plenty of upside and would be a top-10 talent in a lot of systems. It speaks to the Giants' rapid influx of talent as much as Sosa's disappointing year that he fell as far as he did.

Members online