Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

went to my first card show in 20 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
today for my birthday decided to head out to a local 300 table show here in greensboro NC

don't have much money to spend right now, but decided to set a $20 (well $23 with the change in pocket) limit including cost of the show to get in ($6)

a bit of an over and underwhelming experience all the same...but for what I'm into ended up finding some stuff I really enjoyed... a few cards I actually wanted and got a steal of a price on (see below) and a few cards towards my maddux and venters PC.

picked up the following:
$1 - 2009 bowman chrome - Julio Teheran - refractor #/599
(yes! $1 freaking dollar! beautifully centered. spotless surface. edges and corners look flawless. has been added to my next stack of cards to send in for grading) normally sells raw for about $15-20PPD

$4 - 2005 Zenith Spellbound - Greg Maddux - Jersey #/150
---I have the regular G R E G from this set... wanted to get the jersey ones but don't wanna pay $10-15 for them...my last deal of the day before I went home...$4? I'll take it!

$2 - 2011 topps heritage - Rookie Parade SP w/ Jonny Venters
--- usually sells for about $3 online, but would have to pay to ship it, so for $2 more than happy with that one. knocked another venters off our master collection list.

$.25/ea - 38 various Greg Maddux Cards from 1992-1999
--- picked up some I thought were really cool looking, and a few I just knew I needed for the ever growing collection. most book between the $2-5 range but snagged around 8 of them that were around 10 bucks. for a quarter each? sure!

$.75 - 3 ken griffey Jr cards i thought looked cool and picked up to trade:
1996 Metal - Mother Lode
1996 Metal - Diamond Heroes
1998 Metal - Universal Language

all in all I spent $17 in the show and $6 to get in. had fun!

10zn695.jpg
2rf64n5.jpg
2wnnua0.jpg

if you made it this far, thanks for reading ;)

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
cmixer said:
um - wow on the JULIO.
the rest is gravy.

I was pretty surprised on that one...he had it marked $12 on the back but found it fishing through his $1 boxes... i doublechecked flashing it asking if it was a buck...talked to him a bit more and seemed like a pretty standup guy and was helpful showing me around stuff so pointed out making sure it was meant to be a buck... showed me the red line on the case under the price means yep it went to the dollar bin.

if it wasn't a card I wanted already and hadn't picked up I'd be tossing it on ebay to recoup what I spent. its pretty much like I bought it and got all the rest as a bonus.

definitely the highlight card of my afternoon. although the maddux jersey is something I've had on my wantlist for a while also

bballjunky24

Dec 8, 2008
300 TABLES!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

We are lucky to get 20 solid tables at the local show here in Phoneix...

EDIT: Oh yeah, sweet haul there my friend...;)

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
bballjunky24 said:
300 TABLES!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

We are lucky to get 20 solid tables at the local show here in Phoneix...

EDIT: Oh yeah, sweet haul there my friend...;)

it was slated for 300 tables, I'm not sure how many they ended up filling but the building was pretty well packed save for a small space on the end

good time!

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
300 tables :shock:

the last show i went to had 50 tables and I took 800 bucks. came back with 785 of it, cause it was the same crap they had the month before.

at a different show of about 20 tables I scored 280 different madduxs and nearly 500 different chipper jones out of the quarter boxes and since I bought so many he knocked it down to .15 each and he also threw in a 660 count box of braves that contained 44 Dale Murphys I needed. These cards all had a BV of 3-6 bucks with a few at 10.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
383astro said:

the last show i went to had 50 tables and I took 800 bucks. came back with 785 of it, cause it was the same crap they had the month before.

at a different show of about 20 tables I scored 280 different madduxs and nearly 500 different chipper jones out of the quarter boxes and since I bought so many he knocked it down to .15 each and he also threw in a 660 count box of braves that contained 44 Dale Murphys I needed. These cards all had a BV of 3-6 bucks with a few at 10.

that rules, I am just over around 370 unique maddux cards total since I got back into collecting a lil over a year ago, I wish I coulda found 280 I needed today ;) I cleaned out the 93-99 maddux cards in any quarter box I could find them in.

got a random card I like with a print flaw on it... worthless to anyone but me but thought it was cool its one of the 93 ultra performers cards #/10,000 have two sets of those from when i was a kid.... this one was missing all the foil print on the front and back so it wasn't numbered at all.

all in all for $23 total including admission, had a ball! will definitely try to make it to more shows in the region when money allows.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
riveraXVX said:
383astro said:

that rules, I am just over around 370 unique maddux cards total since I got back into collecting a lil over a year ago, I wish I coulda found 280 I needed today ;) I cleaned out the 93-99 maddux cards in any quarter box I could find them in.

got a random card I like with a print flaw on it... worthless to anyone but me but thought it was cool its one of the 93 ultra performers cards #/10,000 have two sets of those from when i was a kid.... this one was missing all the foil print on the front and back so it wasn't numbered at all.

all in all for $23 total including admission, had a ball! will definitely try to make it to more shows in the region when money allows.

Thats great, keep adding to that collection. I am at 1140 Maddux and 1506 Chipper unique. I recently sold my 950 card Andruw Jones collection and a few other things to a fellow Braves fan and plan on picking up something Huge like a Maddux red crusade.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
383astro said:
riveraXVX said:
383astro said:

Thats great, keep adding to that collection. I am at 1140 Maddux and 1506 Chipper unique. I recently sold my 950 card Andruw Jones collection and a few other things to a fellow Braves fan and plan on picking up something Huge like a Maddux red crusade.

good luck! there are 4 maddux cards I plan on owning sometime into the future, the crusades cards make up three of them, the other is the 93 finest refractor... the finest ref is first on my list really.... as I always wanted it growing up. couldn't even afford the packs myself but my dad would buy a couple each visit to the card shop weekly in hopes of hitting a nice ref. (we never did haha)

Super32

Aug 8, 2008
It was also a toy show. The 300 table number is misleading. I would say there were 35-40 card dealers there, most with more than 1 table. The toy side had about the same number or maybe a couple more.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Super32 said:
It was also a toy show. The 300 table number is misleading. I would say there were 35-40 card dealers there, most with more than 1 table. The toy side had about the same number or maybe a couple more.

That's what they are on average here, maybe a few less dealers, in the NW suburbs of Chicago and the couple I've been to in the city. Apparently there is one in Orland Park (far south suburb) that is pretty large.

It's usually the twice a year Sun-Times show or the National at the convention center where I get lost and wish I brought more money.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
Wow great pick-ups! The biggest show I've been to is Frank & Son over in L.A. I still have yet to hit the show in Phoenix...The word on here I see is the PHX show is pretty bad.

riveraXVX

May 6, 2011
Greensboro NC
about 5 hours from atlanta +/-

as for the 300 tables, not sure if I posted it here, but I did mention on other forums where about 1/3 the building was toys with 2/3 being taken up by cards... I didn't think to do an actual guesstimate for how many actual separate venders for cards there were but around 30-40 seems to be pretty close to on the mark

Members online