Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why is it that i feel i MUST collect SOMETHING?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
is it some kind of genetic flaw ('cause god knows ive got enough of those to begin with) that i feel i MUST COLLECT some sort of cards?

wtf i ask myself sometimes.

i love baseball cards, and sports cards in general. no doubt about that. in fact, they are the glue that keeps me from falling to pieces in this thing we call life.

i bounce back and forth like a freakin' pinball when it comes to my "focus" i get what is like some collecting bug, and have to collect that (whatever that may be) until i get sick of it.

Take Topps Heritage, i am almost done with the set run, while i love them, now that it is nearing completion, whats next? i have no interest in game used cards, or chrome cards. What i do like about Topps Heritage is that i know there will be another one to put together next year, if im around for it.

for a while there, i was collecting PSA 9 base 80's cards of the HOFers that i grew up watching. That was/is fun, but it really isnt worth the money, and i realize that, and im the first to say that it isnt about the money ('casue it isnt) but why am i paying $7 a piece for one slab when i can pick up the whole set for $40? doesnt make sense.

what i do still love slabs for is for rookie cards. seems thats where i am turning back to again. i love graded rookie cards, the older the card, the less concerned i am about the "numeric grade". with the vintage rookies, i want eye appeal with an eye on the wallet. For modern (post 1979) baseball rookie cards, i prefer to have a grade of 9. There are very few modern rookies cards that i have yet to obtain. For baseball its pretty much just a Puckett CENTERED Fleer Update. Other modern "Money" Rookie Cards that i would like to own that come to mind are: Jordan, Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Emmitt Smith Centered Score.

Here is my list of Baseball HOFers that i would like to own (eye appeal meaning more to me then numberic grade):

Aaron
Kaline
Banks
Clemente
Koufax
Drysdale
B Robinson
Gibson
Rose*
Neikro
Hunter
Jenkins
Palmer
Sutton
Carew
Seaver
Reggie Jackson
Jim Rice

as far as the non-rc's im still going back and forth about what to do. some of the time i just say F it, get those slabs! other times i think they'll look just fine in sheets/albums. if going the sheets/albums route, how would i go about sheeting them up? break it down by player? by year? brand? i dont have interest in sheeting whole sets (nor do i have the space for them). Do i pick up factory sets and crack them? do u rip wax to pull them myself? all these questions i find myself answering differently from one day to the next.

Well, there you have it. just felt the need to type it and put it out there.

Thanks for the read,
Eric

G

If you aren't collecting and buying something, you're missing out on buying 1/1s that pop up of what you were or will be collecting

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Hey (formerly) big E.

I know what you mean about focus. I have had a strict focus for some time. Only mac GU, HOF GU, and Club 3000 cards I need. That recently went out the window when I jumped head first into a spendy side project. I saw that there we're lettermen cards for three prominent univ of nevada alumni. Since I am an alum I had to get them. Fast forward a month and a half and im $50
0 poorer. It a sickness.......an addiction. Glad to see im not alone and glad to hear from you brother.....

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
you are not alone. i think it comes from our past when we were hunter gatherer's. i am always on the hunt for Juan cards and gather all i can get. it's probably a disease!

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I am always changing what I collect, I want to collect signed baseballs week later I want to do cards. I like changing it up, at one point I was collecting pennies from 1963 why I don't know I think it has something to do with my reports about JFK. Then I collected presidential stuff mostly Lincoln and Kennedy. Then I started to get real heavy into buying and fixing junk guitars most of those failed and were burned to death. I am always collecting something; It is a sick obsession that gets very expensive. I am currently collecting Daniel Descalso and I am probably sticking with this for a minute as I have already spent over $100 on cards and autographs of him.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
csmtampa said:
You need a woman in your life

:D
icon_lol.gif
have had the same one for the last 27 years, don't need another.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
ThoseBackPages said:
is it some kind of genetic flaw ('cause god knows ive got enough of those to begin with) that i feel i MUST COLLECT some sort of cards?

wtf i ask myself sometimes.

i love baseball cards, and sports cards in general. no doubt about that. in fact, they are the glue that keeps me from falling to pieces in this thing we call life.

i bounce back and forth like a freakin' pinball when it comes to my "focus" i get what is like some collecting bug, and have to collect that (whatever that may be) until i get sick of it.

Take Topps Heritage, i am almost done with the set run, while i love them, now that it is nearing completion, whats next? i have no interest in game used cards, or chrome cards. What i do like about Topps Heritage is that i know there will be another one to put together next year, if im around for it.

for a while there, i was collecting PSA 9 base 80's cards of the HOFers that i grew up watching. That was/is fun, but it really isnt worth the money, and i realize that, and im the first to say that it isnt about the money ('casue it isnt) but why am i paying $7 a piece for one slab when i can pick up the whole set for $40? doesnt make sense.

what i do still love slabs for is for rookie cards. seems thats where i am turning back to again. i love graded rookie cards, the older the card, the less concerned i am about the "numeric grade". with the vintage rookies, i want eye appeal with an eye on the wallet. For modern (post 1979) baseball rookie cards, i prefer to have a grade of 9. There are very few modern rookies cards that i have yet to obtain. For baseball its pretty much just a Puckett CENTERED Fleer Update. Other modern "Money" Rookie Cards that i would like to own that come to mind are: Jordan, Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Emmitt Smith Centered Score.

Here is my list of Baseball HOFers that i would like to own (eye appeal meaning more to me then numberic grade):

Aaron
Kaline
Banks
Clemente
Koufax
Drysdale
B Robinson
Gibson
Rose*
Neikro
Hunter
Jenkins
Palmer
Sutton
Carew
Seaver
Reggie Jackson
Jim Rice

as far as the non-rc's im still going back and forth about what to do. some of the time i just say F it, get those slabs! other times i think they'll look just fine in sheets/albums. if going the sheets/albums route, how would i go about sheeting them up? break it down by player? by year? brand? i dont have interest in sheeting whole sets (nor do i have the space for them). Do i pick up factory sets and crack them? do u rip wax to pull them myself? all these questions i find myself answering differently from one day to the next.

Well, there you have it. just felt the need to type it and put it out there.

Thanks for the read,
Eric
E you have the most unfocused OCD I have ever saw my friend.As for your raw stars,shoot me a list.I recently cracked a ton of vending and should be able to hook you up pretty well on the cheap.And csmtampa is completely wrong.A woman only puts a strain on the cardboard budget. :D

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I'm in some what of a valley with my collecting right now. My focus is, and has always been, 1969 Mets cards and memorabilia. I've looked at eBay at least 10 times today hoping that something catches my eye but nothing showed up. It's like this every time I have paypal to use, nothing catches my eye. I was contemplating buying either a jumbo or two hobby boxes of 2011 Bowman just to bust something. I only bust packs in the hopes of pulling something to fund a '69 Mets purchase so I'd be right back to were I am now. IF I pulled anything of value. ;)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hofmichael said:
E you have the most unfocused OCD I have ever saw my friend.As for your raw stars,shoot me a list.I recently cracked a ton of vending and should be able to hook you up pretty well on the cheap.And csmtampa is completely wrong.A woman only puts a strain on the cardboard budget. :D

Aint that the truth! :lol:

as for the raw stars, thats something that i would have to pull myself, either from wax/vending/factory sets

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
ThoseBackPages said:
hofmichael said:

Aint that the truth! :lol:

as for the raw stars, thats something that i would have to pull myself, either from wax/vending/factory sets
Ph yeah on a side note.Whenever I get bored with collecting I grab a roll of quarters and go out and face punch prostitutes with it.Try it sometime it is very theraputic. :D

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've got several friends who have unfocused OCD. They'll get into something really hardcore and then the next minute it's dead to them and they have to move on. A friend of mine knew I collected cards and went with me a few years ago and spent maybe $200 at walmart on just different sports cards. Needless to say, a week later he decided it wasn't for him and just gave me all the cards. It was really weird.

Seen it a bunch. But it is curable IMO. You just have to find something you are passionate about. Anyone can get the itch to have any particular hobby. If you are OCD, it can get way out of control before you realize it isn't for you or the direction you are taking doesn't fit what you want. If you stop and think about a facet you are really passionate about, it will help you, even through the doldrums. Without that...it's over.

Members online

Latest posts