Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Attn: "Super" collectors, Beckett wants YOU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My advice: don't do it!

I used to buy these Sabathia DK 1/1's, I have a bunch. I asked a simple question on their MB one day because I was a little confused when the blacks turned out to be 1/1's as well. They published my question in their magazine without even asking me, which I didn't mind at first... then people started putting cards I needed on ebay, which was helpful, but... I was winning them for $10 for non autos, and ~$30 for autos. These people were listing them for $200!

So if you collect a player, and enjoy sellers acting like they are selling to regular people instead of holding hostages, keep your stuff out of this magazine.

My $.02

RyanLarticle.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Card Magnet said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3l8e80ra]They're still in business?
A shepherd will always make a living so long as his sheep aren't poached.[/quote:3l8e80ra]

Are you calling gilmo a poacher? Thems fightin words!

I understand some collectors are leary of notority. But it's been my experience that it's about a 3 to 1 good experience to bad experience being known as a "super collector" of a guy. What I mean is that I've had many more people try to help me in my collecting than have tried to take advantage of me.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
At this point I'd LOVE for someone to offer me a card I'm hunting at a high premium. I have cards on my want list that "book" for less than $10 that I'd happily pay $40 or $50 for!

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
VizquelCollector said:
At this point I'd LOVE for someone to offer me a card I'm hunting at a high premium. I have cards on my want list that "book" for less than $10 that I'd happily pay $40 or $50 for!

Yah, but do you want those cards to be held at ransom for $200?

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've been working on a couple of basketball sets for almost 10 years now and am down to less than 10 on each. I thought about writing in to try to get some out in the market, but I've always been afraid they'll be at some ridiculous price. And that's why I haven't done it yet.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
brouthercard said:
VizquelCollector said:

Nope, obviously not. But I've never encountered another Vizquel collector that will seriously overpay. If someone wants to hold onto it, they'd be welcome to do so and I'd be happy enough using the $ elsewhere.

On the other hand, if I had 20 guys hold cards for "ransom" but it led to 5 guys that I could deal with on other cards, I think that'd be a win.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
brouthercard said:
VizquelCollector said:

Exactly. I suppose there are two possible remedies to this though: 1) print in the article that the collector isn't going to pay absurd prices as a result of being in their article; and 2) have Beckett publish a follow-up on any vultures that may have surfaced as a result of the article. If Beckett were into 'journalistic excellence' it would do well to publish negative aspects of the hobby where appropriate, actually the follow-up story may be as interesting or more interesting than the initial article.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
VizquelCollector said:
brouthercard said:
VizquelCollector said:

Nope, obviously not. But I've never encountered another Vizquel collector that will seriously overpay. If someone wants to hold onto it, they'd be welcome to do so and I'd be happy enough using the $ elsewhere.

On the other hand, if I had 20 guys hold cards for "ransom" but it led to 5 guys that I could deal with on other cards, I think that'd be a win.
I'm in complete agreement. I'm actively looking for 23 cards - some have been on my wantlist for well over 15 years. They shouldn't be that rare, but apparently they are. If my collection happens to get chosen and catches someone's eye out there, then I'd happily pay a premium to obtain that elusive card. Obviously I'd hate to get held hostage, but I'm thinking (hoping?) that most collectors out there really do like to help each other out.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:

I used to buy these Sabathia DK 1/1's, I have a bunch. I asked a simple question on their MB one day because I was a little confused when the blacks turned out to be 1/1's as well. They published my question in their magazine without even asking me, which I didn't mind at first... then people started putting cards I needed on ebay, which was helpful, but... I was winning them for $10 for non autos, and ~$30 for autos. These people were listing them for $200!

So if you collect a player, and enjoy sellers acting like they are selling to regular people instead of holding hostages, keep your stuff out of this magazine.

My $.02

RyanLarticle.jpg

I had this same problem with a couple sellers because of my website. Some sellers that knew about my list would list every card they had of McGwire at 30% of Beckett value, then for all the ones I needed, they listed them at 200% then had the nerve to ask me why I wouldn't buy from them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've gotten a little smarter about it. I think for the most part, people here know I won't overpay if I don't want to. I do think you can overpay on something, even if you need it. But then again, sometimes I just get it anyways. But at shows now, if I see a Bagwell I want, I'll only tell a handful of dealers I know personally that I need it for my collection. Most of them, I just tell them I have a friend who is interested in Bagwell. It's harder to screw a "friend" buying something for his "buddy" because if they get too steep, they know I'll walk. Throw a few lines in that lets them know you aren't a casual collector yourself, and they figure they don't have much of a chance. Let them know you colelct said player at your own peril.

Actually had a guy get in my face at one of these little piss ant shows because he was hawking one of those Treat Bagwell autos for $60. I told him no thanks and walked away and he came up bellowing about how I'd never find it cheaper. I then informed him I had just purchased one on ebay a few weeks prior for $10 delivered. He shut up. I moved on. Player collecting sucks sometimes.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
onionring9 said:
RL24 said:

My $.02

RyanLarticle.jpg

I had this same problem with a couple sellers because of my website. Some sellers that knew about my list would list every card they had of McGwire at 30% of Beckett value, then for all the ones I needed, they listed them at 200% then had the nerve to ask me why I wouldn't buy from them.

That's pretty lame....

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I've submitted half a dozen times... photos, stats, great detailed info... nada. No reply "thanks for submitting" or anything. Kinda gave up.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
gracecollector said:
theplasticman said:
I've submitted half a dozen times... photos, stats, great detailed info... nada. No reply "thanks for submitting" or anything. Kinda gave up.

Probably because your collection is so lame. Put a little effort into it ;)

Don't feel bad, I've been ignored too. Chris Olds dropped me a line about this article. It's nice being able to ignore him this time.

Members online

Latest posts