Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shipped item - postage due on receiver's end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I sold and shipped a ~$20 card (with free shipping) using Paypal multi-order shipping tool. The package was less than 3oz (card, bubble envelope, tape, top loader soft sleave, additional bubble wrap on card) and cost $1.75 to ship USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation.

The buyer sent me an email stating that his P.O. is requesting $3.20 shipping on the item in order for him to receive it. The buyer has over 3000 positive Ebay FB with 99.5% pos so I don't have any reason not to believe him.

In order to resolve this, I've offered the buyer two courses of action:

1. Pay the $3.20, show me a receipt and I'll full reimburse it
2. Decline to accept it and have the card returned to me and then upon me receiving it, I will give a full refund

Has anyone else ever had this happened? I just can't figure out where this $3.20 figure comes from or why it is being charged.

Thanks

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Likely wasn't the 3/4 inch thick required for 1st class mail and therefore got charged as priority. Just give him the $ and move on. Not worth a negative and crap * ratings

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
If your package is not at least 3/4 of an inch think, the receiving end post has the right to request additional funds for the package moving up to Priority Mail with DC. For First Class, your package must be 3/4 of an inch think with DC, if not, you have the chance of running into this issue. Stuffing packing peanuts, or crumpled up paper in the mailer will make it thicker without raising the ounces too much.

My suggestion, give the buyer the $3.20 and call it a day, they are not trying to screw you in any way IMO.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Is your ebay rep and ability to sell there worth $3.20 to you? If yes, pay the man.
Apologize profusely too and hope he doesn't jam you with some undeserved DSR in the process either!

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I've been stuck with this postage due at least 6 or 7 times in the past three months. I paid and contacted the sellers at first. All were apologetic and gave a refund except for two. One basically called me a liar but refunded anyway. The other promised a refund but never did. They received a negative after ignoring several emails. The last one I received I refused the package and it was returned to sender. They sent it back packaged correctly. All you have to do is throw a couple of shipping peanuts into the bubble mailer to meet the thickness requirement.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the information guys!

As I put in the original post, I did offer to pay for the shipping and after he explained it was because the package was too thin, I immediately paid the $3.20 via Paypal Gift.

Lesson learned, I will put at least one packing peanut or crumbled paper in each package.

Thanks again everyone, it is appreciated.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I've received a few packages with packing peanuts smushed flat/crushed to pieces inside and the packages weren't 3/4 in thick, but there were no problems with the cards and my local PO has never tried to jack me with postage due.

Then again, if the contents are rigid, they should be following the rules and allowing it to be shipped as a FCM parcel without regard to thickness.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Problem is that the packaging peanuts can damage the card, especially game used ones. I received a card yesterday where the seller stuffed a folded up express mail envelope to make it thicker. If the post office is gonna be a bitch about this, I suppose I'll start taking a bunch of their envelopes the next time I'm there which would cost them more money. At least the envelopes can be folded up into the shape of a card so they won't cause damage.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
bear0555 said:
Problem is that the packaging peanuts can damage the card, especially game used ones. I received a card yesterday where the seller stuffed a folded up express mail envelope to make it thicker. If the post office is gonna be a bitch about this, I suppose I'll start taking a bunch of their envelopes the next time I'm there which would cost them more money. At least the envelopes can be folded up into the shape of a card so they won't cause damage.

OK this I need to see, because seriously, I :lol: so freaking hard at work, my coworker stood up to be sure I was OK.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
bear0555 said:

Although I wasn't aware of peanuts being able to damage the card (I was planning on taping one to each side of the card), I do like the idea of using USPS supplies to thicken the package.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
Just a FYI.....

If you do use Priority or Express envelopes to fatten up your package and they find out (package gets torn or whatever may happen) the WILL charge the person picking up the package for that class of mail.

A few months ago I was at the PO looking for smaller (8x8) Priority Mail boxes to send baseballs in. All they had available were flat rate. One postal guy tells me to take the flat rate, wrap them in paper and just send Priority anyway. Tells me to wait at counter while he grabs me a bunch.

A minute later another postal employee comes out and starts giving me crap saying that it's illegal for me to do that and the person receiving it would be charged the extra if they found out. He gave me crap about something that a FELLOW employee told me to do, in front of other customers!

Needless to say, I've NOT been back to that post office.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I guess the solution to this ongoing debacle is to use small rigid shipping boxes that are normally used to ship CD's in a jewel case.

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-CD-Self-Seal ... 71#vi-desc

They offer no padding, but you can tape the card (in a toploader + team bag) to the inside of the shipping box and it won't move, or even use a #000 mailer for the card and then place it in this box for added protection.

They're thick enough (even though thickness shouldn't be an issue since they are RIGID, but it solves the problem of the few idiot USPS employees hell bent on measuring everything to be at least 3/4" thick) and weigh 1 oz. Since the USPS charges a 3oz min rate for shipping labels, these boxes don't add postage compared to bubble mailers for single card sales (and even multiple card orders are negligible). The only drawback is that they cost about 30 cents each in bulk, while #000 mailers costs about 8 cents each. And since we can't pass the cost of shipping on to buyers without getting dinged on DSR's, well.... :?

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
cmnkb8 said:
I guess the solution to this ongoing debacle is to use small rigid shipping boxes that are normally used to ship CD's in a jewel case.

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-CD-Self-Seal ... 71#vi-desc

They offer no padding, but you can tape the card (in a toploader + team bag) to the inside of the shipping box and it won't move, or even use a #000 mailer for the card and then place it in this box for added protection.

They're thick enough (even though thickness shouldn't be an issue since they are RIGID, but it solves the problem of the few idiot USPS employees hell bent on measuring everything to be at least 3/4" thick) and weigh 1 oz. Since the USPS charges a 3oz min rate for shipping labels, these boxes don't add postage compared to bubble mailers for single card sales (and even multiple card orders are negligible). The only drawback is that they cost about 30 cents each in bulk, while #000 mailers costs about 8 cents each. And since we can't pass the cost of shipping on to buyers without getting dinged on DSR's, well.... :?

$.30 if you spend $1500

Members online

Latest posts