Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who's the worst offensive player in baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
There have been some spectacularly horrific offensive lines this year. Personally, I had no idea how bad Brignac has been. He hit his first HR last night so I checked out his line. Awful. Anyway, here are some notables:

Reid Brignac (TB) 184/215/216 (.431 OPS) in 132 PA. 4BB, 31K
Alcides Escobar (KC) 209/241/241 (.482 OPS) in 238(!) PA
Jeff Mathis (LAA) 204/233/274 (.508 OPS) in 123 PA

and my personal favourite:

Drew Butera (MIN) 153/188/234 (.422 OPS) in 118 PA.

I think Escobar must take the cake at this point because he's sucked in almost double the plate appearances as the rest of these guys.

Who am I missing?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I nominate Hanley and his .615OPS. Sure there are may be a few players with even lesser stats, but the Fish counted on at least mediocre production from the guy.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Wil Nieves is terrible. He's a back-up catcher, so there is other value, but I would take ANY of our starting pitchers over him at the plate.

And in defense of my boy Alcides, he's got his defense. At least he probably prevents as many runs as he costs at the plate.

DukeandKSUFanatic

Aug 8, 2008
hive17 said:
Wil Nieves is terrible. He's a back-up catcher, so there is other value, but I would take ANY of our starting pitchers over him at the plate.

And in defense of my boy Alcides, he's got his defense. At least he probably prevents as many runs as he costs at the plate.
This Alcides is one of the best if not the best defensive SS in the game. He makes the hard plays look routine. Great range and a cannon!

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Dioner Navarro

BA - 0.197
OBP - 0.246
SLG - 0.279
OPS - 0.525
RBI - 4

I cringe everytime he comes up to bat. Heaven forbid there are runners in scoring position, in which case the best you can hope for is for him not to hit into a double play.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
According to fangraphs batting WAR: Alcides Escobar closely followed by Chone Figgins. Figgins is the least valuable player by total WAR with Aubrey Huff and Miguel Tejada not far behind.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts