Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLb discussing league realignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Rumored team to be going to the Al is Houston however I would take it a step further:

Washington & Tampa swap

Creates Orioles vs Nats rivarly
Moves small market Tampa out of AL east
Tampa comes into Atlanta more for my own wants

Swap Kansas City & Houston

Royals vs Cardinals
Astros vs Rangers

then decide what NL league team needs to go into new 15 team league.

Brewers makes more sense to me.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Move the Orioles to the NL East and trade with the Phillies.

AL EAST

Blue Jays
Phillies
Rays
Red Sox
Yankees

NL EAST

Braves
Mets
Marlins
Nationals
Orioles

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
No thanks, I like the NL WAAAAYYYY more. Houston does seem like it would be better in the AL. I don't know why, just "seems" that way.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If this move is to create a rivalry between Texas and Houston, can we at least do away with Interleague Play?

It seems kind of silly use the movement of Houston as a creation of a rivalry when Chicago, New York, Bay Area and even LA/OC have teams much closer geographically.

I do like getting rid of the divisions, because it seems silly when a team with 20 more wins is sitting out of the post season when some garbage .500 team in a division full of sub .500 teams gets in.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
If this move is to create a rivalry between Texas and Houston, can we at least do away with Interleague Play?

It seems kind of silly use the movement of Houston as a creation of a rivalry when Chicago, New York, Bay Area and even LA/OC have teams much closer geographically.

I do like getting rid of the divisions, because it seems silly when a team with 20 more wins is sitting out of the post season when some garbage .500 team in a division full of sub .500 teams gets in.

They said 15 team leagues with 5 playoff spots each.

Does the top team get a bye like in football or something?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
markakis8 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

They said 15 team leagues with 5 playoff spots each.

Does the top team get a bye like in football or something?
I think the bottom two teams should have a short playoff, allowing the three top-ranked teams to be able to adjust their rotations. In a 162 game season, award the top three teams, not just the top team.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
200lbhockeyplayer said:

If there are odd numbers of teams in each league, wouldn't there have to be perpetual Interleague Play? Or can they stagger the schedule so one team can always have a day off?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
bungle77 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

If there are odd numbers of teams in each league, wouldn't there have to be perpetual Interleague Play? Or can they stagger the schedule so one team can always have a day off?
Yes, there has to be interleague if there odd teams in a league.

5 team playoff has the two wild cards play a short series, which awards division winners with rest to set their rotation.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I would be interested to hear what the owners feel about interleague play. Attendance always seems to be boosted when interleague play happens in May and June. And, as a fan, I love being able to see teams from the other league.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
bungle77 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

5 team playoff has the two wild cards play a short series, which awards division winners with rest to set their rotation.

There is talk with doing away with the divisions. Well, there would be two 15-team divisions if you want to think of it that way ;)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
fkw said:
Brewers makes more sense, they already were in the AL and never should have been moved...

Agreed, sort of, about them maybe not moving, but the Brewers are a better NL team now, and Milwaukee was a classic NL town.

Also, i don't know if Twins/Brewers would be as good as Cubs/Brewers has been, team winning-%'s regardless.

And mind you, this is all fan-boy talk. I am only talking about what would like to see for my team, not the rest of baseball.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
bungle77 said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

There is talk with doing away with the divisions. Well, there would be two 15-team divisions if you want to think of it that way ;)

I have also heard talk of having 6 divisions with differing compositions each year.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
I have also heard talk of having 6 divisions with differing compositions each year.

Is this sarcasm?

How the hell would that work?

No, not sarcasm. Is it that hard to imagine? Selig has had people around him floating tons of ideas. One of those ideas was to change the divisions every year, ostensibly to keep a team like the Orioles from constantly having to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. It won't happen, but it has been on the table.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Mighty Bombjack said:
markakis8 said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":11gseo3e]

Is this sarcasm?

How the hell would that work?

No, not sarcasm. Is it that hard to imagine? Selig has had people around him floating tons of ideas. One of those ideas was to change the divisions every year, ostensibly to keep a team like the Orioles from constantly having to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees. It won't happen, but it has been on the table.[/quote:11gseo3e]

That's a really dumb idea. If anything it would kill baseball. The casual fan would be totally confused, and out of the loop. It would look like this, "Let me look up where Detroit is in the standings. Oh, wait. It's 2012, they're now in the NL West. No wonder I couldn't find them. Silly me I looked in the AL Central."

It's the Orioles now, but a few seasons ago the Rays were the team always on the bottom. There's no guarantee that the Yankees are going to be on top forever. They were sucky in the 80s. I don't like the rotating idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts