Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Going to start selling on eBay... any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I know that eBay sucks, but I need to move cards, and I think I am going to start selling. I have been buying since mid-November. About 50-60 items in all, so I plan to sell some junk and impulse buys.

There probably isn't one way to do it, but are there any tips for a beginner? (100% positive if it matters at all)

I also want to say that I am not using this thread to direct traffic to my future auctions/BINs. I truly am looking for advice.

autocut

It all depends on what you are selling. Stuff you just want to get rid of, I start at 99 cents and let it ride. good stuff, BIN or best offer. Make sure you put full name of athlete and spell name correctly (even if it has multiple players).

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
uniquebaseballcards said:
You may also want to think about consigning your items.

Just curious, but why would I want to do that?

Are you asking what the advantages of someone else selling your items for you are?

I'd think that would be pretty obvious!

Hoominaga

Sep 5, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
You may also want to think about consigning your items.

Just curious, but why would I want to do that?

Are you asking what the advantages of someone else selling your items for you are?

I'd think that would be pretty obvious!

Is this post even serious? Please elaborate, why should I pay you to sell my items?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
1 - Only have what you are selling in your auction picture. People that scan multiple cards and dont crop that **** are ******* lazy. Dont be that guy!!
2 - Clear title, use all 60 characters you are given if possible
3 - Do free shipping!!! I dont care what anyone else says, do free shipping. If you are so concerned about the $1.75+ that it will cost you (single card price using paypal), add it to your starting price.
4 - Ship with paypal!!! Your DC number is automatically uploaded to eBay, and no dicking around standing in PO lines.
5 - Ship timely, dont wait days and days to ship, you will be booted before you know it if you do.
6 - Make all of your bubble mailers 3/4 of an inch thick. If on the receiving end the delivery person wants to, they can charge you the priority rate if the package is not thick enough.
7 - Use turbolister (its free from eBay) if you dont want to waste hours upon hours doing single items thru eBay.
8 - Good luck!!!

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Sell small items to start. build your feedback. Try to keep shipping costs low, so buy bubble mailers in bulk. Ship fast after payment and usa Paypal shipping for tracking.

End most items via Auction on Sunday night.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
reasons to let someone else sell them for you

1. going to take a while to get feedback ratings

2. low feedback means some folks will be skeptical in dealing with you at first.

3. takes a while to get a system going

4. don't have to deal with shipping.

5. listing items correctly is an art - timing, etc

If you don't plan on doing Ebay longterm I would list as a lot on here in the transactions forums.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Thank you for all the help guys!

I will be sure to use it when listing. I plan to start tomorrow or Monday and just list some small stuff for cheap, with free shipping.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
i can never seem to get away from crazy buyers complaining about the dumbest things. Never list the condition of a card as mint or near mint all it will cause is headache, I had to learn the hard way. I dont even list condition anymore and i still get crazy people saying the card isnt as good as they hoped and they want a partial refund. buyers will take advantage of the good sellers with 100% feedback just cause they know they can screw us over to keep our 100% feedback

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If you are selling a random non-auto'd card, make sure you put "No Auto" in the title so it gums up the search when people are searching for auto'd cards!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I won't post a link, but I just listed my first card.

I put it on a .99 7-Day auction.

I was careful, and it didn't cost anything to list this (probably because it was my first listing).

EDIT:

It would not let me list it for some reason. I will check this out in the morning.

Oh well.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
do others right but look out for scammers. never ship without Delivery Confirmation. it's the easiest way to be taken. i learned the hard way.

be firm and don't roll over though always apologize first if there is some problem in terms of shipping or something else wrong that is even partially your fault. buyers are forgiving for the most part. just be careful.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Musial Collector said:
1 - Only have what you are selling in your auction picture. People that scan multiple cards and dont crop that shat are fracking lazy. Dont be that guy!!
2 - Clear title, use all 60 characters you are given if possible
3 - Do free shipping!!! I dont care what anyone else says, do free shipping. If you are so concerned about the $1.75+ that it will cost you (single card price using paypal), add it to your starting price.
4 - Ship with paypal!!! Your DC number is automatically uploaded to eBay, and no dicking around standing in PO lines.
5 - Ship timely, dont wait days and days to ship, you will be booted before you know it if you do.
6 - Make all of your bubble mailers 3/4 of an inch thick. If on the receiving end the delivery person wants to, they can charge you the priority rate if the package is not thick enough.
7 - Use turbolister (its free from eBay) if you dont want to waste hours upon hours doing single items thru eBay.
8 - Good luck!!!

That is a great list of advice. One thing I would add is that, as a new seller, you should restrict bidders strictly to the US. You don't want have to find out the hard way about shipping out of the country, and how vulnerable you are to being ripped off internationally. Secondly, be sure to remember that anything sold over $250 requires a buyer's SIGNATURE to protect you. Delivery Confirmation simply isn't enough when it is over $250: you must purchase SIGNATURE Confimation.

Also, buy some #000 bubble mailers in bulk if you think this is something you are going to be doing for a while. They typically cost around 11 cents each for boxes of 500.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Number one tip for success:

Ship securely and PROMPTLY!

Do everything in your power to ship items out within 48 hours of payment.

If you are only able to ship on certain days of the week, make that super clear in your listings.

Members online

Latest posts