Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vote/Opinons on your favorite 1980s Fleer Baseball Base Set

Vote on your favorite 1980s Fleer Baseball Base Set

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
ok fellas, chip in with your thoughts......

i am looking to see which 1980s Fleer Base Set you like best, and WHY that is.

i am an idiot by nature and must collect, pretty much slabs. that being said,
ive got my rookie card slabs going strong, and my love of the 1980s lead me
to this poll.

for Topps, i will eventually get the HOFers/Players i like in PSA 9s for all 1980s Releases,
but really working on '81 right now.

for Donruss, i am working on the 1984 HOFers/Players i like in PSA 9s and have it down
to Carter, Gossage, Sutter

for Fleer, i am having trouble pinning it down to one release, so i am picking the brains of
others.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I started collecting during 87 with Topps. My little town grocery store didn't have Fleer or Donruss because they were too expensive then. Next year an actual card store opened, and they had 88 Fleer and Donruss. I loved chasing Mark Grace and Gregg Jeffries rookies!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I didn't realize until just now how ugly and unappealing all the 80's Fleer sets were! I went with the 1984, I think it's the best looking and (I believe) the scarcest of their 80's releases. A few years ago I bought a box of 1988 for $5, opened it up, and haven't touched it since. Guess I'm more of a Donruss guy when it comes to the 80's stuff.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
DeliciousBacon said:
I didn't realize until just now how ugly and unappealing all the 80's Fleer sets were! I went with the 1984, I think it's the best looking and (I believe) the scarcest of their 80's releases. A few years ago I bought a box of 1988 for $5, opened it up, and haven't touched it since. Guess I'm more of a Donruss guy when it comes to the 80's stuff.

See, Donruss is EASY! lol

1984 Donruss is the best looking 1980s base set overall, imo

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
1989, although it's close for several years.

I just picked it because I still hold chasing Griffey rookies near and dear.. not mention Bill Ripken **** face cards.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Well, Gwynn is in the 83 set, but that's not the only reason I would pick it #1. I also like the subset, the ones where one player was on one card and another player was on the other, and you put them together...
Rickey and Reggie, Speed and Power...Loved it!

1985 was great for me, because I remember using a double to cut out the Logo on the front left, and tape it to the top right to make team dividers! I will never forget finding them 15 years later and noticing that out of all of the Twins doubles I probably could have used, I used Puckett! :oops:

1987 was the ultimate set, for years after into the 90's, because of the great rookies.
Clark, Bonds, Mitchell, Bo, Bonilla, and Larkin... You always had a good chance of pulling someone good out of a handful of packs!

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
i went with '87 because when we had our card shop back in the late 80's the RC's from that were so much nicer than the topps & donruss ones and seemed more untouchable at the time. I remember the Bo, Clark & kevin mitchel RC's were like $20-$40 each which was unheard of. I loved the blue design which is also why today i'm working on that set signed. I love it!!!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
1987 -as someone mentioned, around here you could only get Fleer/Donruss cards in 1987 by driving an hour or more to an actual card store. The next year Fleer and Donruss were in every store but being able to get '87s meant a special day at the far away shop or occasional card show. Not to mention the greatest shade of blue ever printed on card board

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I'll chime in with 1989 - aside from hunting Griffey, Sheffield and Randy Johnson rookies, I'll never forget being 10 years old, and hunting, with my parents, for packs of 89 Fleer to find the Billy Ripken "error." I like the looks of 87 and 84 better, but 89 will always have those childhood memories to go with it for me.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Picked 1982 just barely over 87, probably since I started collecting in 82. Loved the design for some reason too and having a Reggie in Yankee pinstripes made me :D

Members online

Latest posts