Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strange selling technique

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Lol.

I bid on something with a reserve. He sent me this message:

" hello I see that you bid on my card. What's the highest you are goin to bid? Id like to know if my reserve is ok"

Ok buddy.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
Hey, he's perfected shill bidding. Have the bidders tell you what they bid and then have a friend just bid one time to get them to their max!! He's got it going on.

David

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
How would this be a ploy for him to shill the item? If your max bid did not meet the reserve, it doesnt matter if he tries to shill it because your bid still wont meet the reserve and his would be higher. And if he tries to lower the reserve, i believe you get an email from ebay asking if you still want to keep your bid...at least it used to be that way...

Went to look on ebay and found this....
Lowering your reserve price

If you lower the reserve price below the high bidder's maximum bid, the high bidder's maximum bid is lowered to $1.00 below the new reserve price. Bidders are notified of the new reserve price by email and must bid again to confirm interest in the item. The high bidder must bid again at or above the new reserve price.

looks like the seller may genuinely be interested for reasons other than shilling...unless he knows nothing of how it works.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
I will be the first to admit that I have never sold anything on eBay and know nothing about it.

So, the first thing that popped into my mind was shilling.

David

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
There is a fair likelihood that the seller is curious for a non-dubious reason; just let him know that you don't feel comfortable discussing bids, but that, as a seller, he can provide a second chance offer to the high bidder should the high bid be reasonable to him and his reserve not be met.

Members online