Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Passan's excellent feature on Jose Bautista

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Read it. The whole thing. It's fantastic.

http://www.sportsfanlive.com/web/ar...552899&team=mlb-toronto_blue_jays&tid=twitter

A couple of excerpts:

"Baseball is one of the sports where it's hardest to make adjustments and trust in changes," Bautista says. "Your results immediately are affected by making a change, and at least at the beginning, in the short term, it affects them negatively. Your production goes down when you make a change. It might help you in the long run, but it's really tough to trust in yourself. You feel like your role gets affected, and maybe negatively. I knew I needed to make changes to become successful in the future. But if I did them and didn't pick it up in one or two months, I might've been out of a job anyway. It's hard for guys to do that, and I know because I went through it."

"Both of those apply to me," Bautista says. "That's the thing about this. Everybody wants a quick answer. They want to say I'm doing this for one reason. But I lost two years to my injury in 2003 and the Rule 5 thing in 2004. And then I bounced back and forth, and my at-bats in the majors were still developmental for me. And the swing is totally different. These are all things that should be looked at. A lot of things can add up to someone being a late bloomer.

"It's not always luck."

Members online