Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Masterpiece...The Rivalry Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I guess the time has come to let the cat out of the bag on a project that I have been working on since April. The purpose of the project is to create a 5 piece "Rivalry" themed custom booklet with cut signatures from the best 4 Yankees (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio) and best 4 Red Sox (Williams, Cy Young, Speaker, Foxx) players in history appearing two per piece (Williams and Foxx, Young and Speaker, Ruth and Gehrig, and Mantle and JoeD). So far, I have gotten my hands on all of the autos except for the Gehrig. Finding a visually appealing Gehrig cut has been MUCH more difficult than I anticipated. The design of the booklet is on track to be finished mid-week next week. At that point, I will post the final mockup. Here are the autos for those that may be interested...

IMAG0018.jpg

And here are closeups of the autos individually:

BabeRuthAutoc.jpg

CyYoungAutoc.jpg

JimmieFoxxAutoc.jpg

JoeDimaggioAutoc.jpg

MickeyMantleAutoc.jpg

TedWilliamsAutoc.jpg

TrisSpeakerAutoc.jpg

And finally the slabs/LOAs:

BabeRuthAuto.jpg

CyYoungAuto.jpg

JimmieFoxxAuto.jpg

JoeDimaggioAuto.jpg

JoeDimaggioAutoLOA.jpg

MickeyMantleAuto.jpg

TedWilliamsAuto.jpg

TrisSpeakerAuto.jpg

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
A_Pharis said:
Nice, sir. very nice.

Thank you.

js0000001 said:
My favorite of the bunch is the Cy Young.

The Cy is my favorite as well.

69MetsFan said:
That is going to be an incredible item! Can't wait to see it completed.

I hope so! I can't wait until it's finished either. I am hoping it will be 100% done within 3 weeks.

blitzerlover said:
Amazing stuff. Absolutely amazing.

Thank you.

caseya10781

Aug 7, 2008
Tennessee
Very excited to see the results of this project. Great autos for the quest as well, all the sigs look really nice.

Just remember...... steady hand while cutting! lol

Keep us posted.
Casey

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
It's not hard to make a dual cut, Upper Deck just makes it look hard(see below)...I'm kidding, wow are those incredible! I hope the UD guy lurking around here sees what your doing good luck!
KGrHqIOKjwE3QmcNN5QBN7c6-0Ziw0_1.jpg

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
caseya10781 said:
Very excited to see the results of this project. Great autos for the quest as well, all the sigs look really nice.

Just remember...... steady hand while cutting! lol

Keep us posted.
Casey

I won't be doing the cutting. I cut worse than a kindergartener.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Got your pm earlier, Jordan. Those look amazing together, I still can't believe you obtained all but one of the cuts in under two months :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product. :D

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
I guess the time has come to let the cat out of the bag on a project that I have been working on since April. The purpose of the project is to create a 5 piece "Rivalry" themed custom booklet with cut signatures from the best 4 Yankees (Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio) and best 4 Red Sox (Williams, Cy Young, Speaker, Foxx) players in history appearing two per piece (Williams and Foxx, Young and Speaker, Ruth and Gehrig, and Mantle and JoeD). So far, I have gotten my hands on all of the autos except for the Gehrig. Finding a visually appealing Gehrig cut has been MUCH more difficult than I anticipated. The design of the booklet is on track to be finished mid-week next week. At that point, I will post the final mockup. Here are the autos for those that may be interested...
Interesting decision on the grouping.

Initially (after reading the first few lines and seeing "rivalries" ) I assumed you'd have something like:

Young vs Ruth
Foxx vs Gehrig
Williams vs. Mantle
Speaker vs. Dimaggio

or some variation of. Any reason you chose not to pin them against each other and instead group by team?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Topnotchsy said:

Initially (after reading the first few lines and seeing "rivalries" ) I assumed you'd have something like:

Young vs Ruth
Foxx vs Gehrig
Williams vs. Mantle
Speaker vs. Dimaggio

or some variation of. Any reason you chose not to pin them against each other and instead group by team?
It never occurred to me to focus on the rivalry between the players, but more so on the rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees organizations. The middle booklet will not have any cuts and will serve as a divider between the teams. It will include iconic Yankee and Red Sox imagery. This whole project was conceived after arguing with a Yankee fan at work about the rivalry and I envisioned the booklet to focus on the history between the teams rather than the players who will have cuts. The selection of the players was based on who I felt were the best four from each team.

stu said:
Amazing stuff.
Thank you.

nevermore said:
That's incredible! Can't wait to see the final product.
I can't wait for it to be finished either!

scotty21690 said:
Got your pm earlier, Jordan. Those look amazing together, I still can't believe you obtained all but one of the cuts in under two months :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product. :D
Thanks Scotty. I definitely saved the toughest one for last. Hopefully, I will find a Gehrig sooner rather than later.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
Topnotchsy said:

Young vs Ruth
Foxx vs Gehrig
Williams vs. Mantle
Speaker vs. Dimaggio

It never occurred to me to focus on the rivalry between the players, but more so on the rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees organizations. The middle booklet will not have any cuts and will serve as a divider between the teams. It will include iconic Yankee and Red Sox imagery. This whole project was conceived after arguing with a Yankee fan at work about the rivalry and I envisioned the booklet to focus on the history between the teams rather than the players who will have cuts. The selection of the players was based on who I felt were the best four from each team.

Sounds totally awesome, I was just mentioning it because that was my first vision. Did you post a template for the final card? I did not notice one (though there was something with an image in an earlier post that was not coming up for me so maybe that was it.)

I just wish the companies had half the passion as this when making their product (forgetting about the fact that the player quality is so high, I am just talking about cut quality and the like.)

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
Jays_Cards said:
Topnotchsy said:

Young vs Ruth
Foxx vs Gehrig
Williams vs. Mantle
Speaker vs. Dimaggio

Sounds totally awesome, I was just mentioning it because that was my first vision. Did you post a template for the final card? I did not notice one (though there was something with an image in an earlier post that was not coming up for me so maybe that was it.)

I just wish the companies had half the passion as this when making their product (forgetting about the fact that the player quality is so high, I am just talking about cut quality and the like.)

As far as the template goes, I have not yet seen one. I am having the booklet created by a graphic design professional. I should hopefully have 3 templates to choose from at some point next week, and I will post them here as soon as I see them. Finding high quality cuts was an absolute must for this project. I could have slapped something together the first week after I started, but I really wanted to create a visually appealing piece. Hopefully, it turns out true to my initial vision.

Members online

Latest posts