Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to authenticate a game used item?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows how you would authenticate a game used ball? The MLB Authentication program only auth's live items they witness. I have a foul ball from a Bryce Harper at bat in an arizona fall league game I thought I may want to move but I would want to have it auth'd first. Anyone know any other way to have this done or am i out of luck with the authentication program? Thanks guys any comments are welcomed!

Mark

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
Absolutely zero way to authenticate a foul ball. Only thing you could try is to include your ticket stub to the game, but that still won't increase it's value too much.

Best case scenario, you're able to swing $25 delivered out of it. Most likely though, it'll only sell for $5-10.

bighurtcollector

Jan 1, 2009
thats what i was afraid of. I'll probably just hold out and get it signed this year by him in the fall league. Ok cool thx

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
bighurtcollector said:
thats what i was afraid of. I'll probably just hold out and get it signed this year by him in the fall league. Ok cool thx

That's probably the best way to go about it. Make sure to try and get a pic of him signing it and include your ticket stub, that should help maximize your return when selling it.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
If you have photographic proof of an item (a bat) being used in a game, could you get the it authenticated?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
vwnut13 said:
If you have photographic proof of an item (a bat) being used in a game, could you get the it authenticated?

If you have a rock solid photo match. That trumps any coa. But it has to be an exact photo match with unique stuff to it like ball marks that match up. Not a stupid style match that people think is a photo match.

And on foul ball, no way to authenticate it. Reason why people pay extra for mlb authenticated balls. Just regular balls you get in person are worthless to anyone else, but mean the world to person that got it and knows it's history. Keep it and enjoy it.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
vwnut13 said:

Definitely. Mears is legit, but so is PSA/DNA. Mears would probably be the best shot though w/ a photomatch. Here is a link showing how they grade.

http://www.mearsonline.com/services/bat.asp

It's pricey to authenticate a bat though, so keep that in mind if planning to resell. The photomatch may actually be good enough for some buyers.

Members online

Latest posts