Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ebay seller rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
why do sellers use the best offer option if you are going to counter my legitimate offer with your offer of pennies below the asking price....dont use the best offer option if you don't want to sell it for less than your asking price!

/rant

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
markakis8 said:
why do sellers use the best offer option if you are going to counter my legitimate offer with your offer of pennies below the asking price....dont use the best offer option if you don't want to sell it for less than your asking price!

/rant

Not me but I know some sellers do it to get a cheap ass buyer to make a higher offer (not happening in your case as you said it was legit)

or

some sellers do it to see what you will counter at.

The Best Offer has created more games on Ebay and probably driven away more buyers

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
I always counter a few cents below my asking price when stupid buyers submit offers.

Like I had a Koufax tribute auto listed for $239 which is below what they normally sell for. I had 3 guys offer under $10. I know I can make a minimum accepted offer for auto decline, but I just don't understand why you would waste time to offer stuff like that.

alabamalongsnake

Feb 12, 2011
Alabammer
it works both ways. usually i find the starting point ridiculous and double what the item would sell for at auction.

i like buying stuff at best price but never sell anything that way.

if you are selling something for $300 and won't come down but 10 bucks you are being ridiculous.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
rico08 said:
Good thing there's another thread about this.

PM gilmo or bouwob and apply to be a moderator then. Then you'll be able to do something about it. Until then, bugger off.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
It does seem silly a seller would use BO and then not budge more than a few pennies but I don't understand why people get worked up over this stuff. If the seller's price is not convenient then find another. If no other is available then seller is in the drivers seat. If seller is too greedy he will usually lose in the end.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I don't understand this, a seller had a David Krynzel card I wanted. He had it as $3.49 or best offer, so I offered $2.00 and he counter offered with his original price of $3.49. Why even have the best offer if you are just going to go back to your original price?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
jrinne said:
I don't understand this, a seller had a David Krynzel card I wanted. He had it as $3.49 or best offer, so I offered $2.00 and he counter offered with his original price of $3.49. Why even have the best offer if you are just going to go back to your original price?

What were his shipping costs.. If he was offereing free shipping, it's going to cost him $2 just to ship it, not including the EBAY fees..

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
jrinne said:

If you cant swing a buck fifty to get a card you wanted, makes me wonder if you should be buying cards. It would be different if it were a .25 card and someone was asking 7.00 for it. You compromise because you really want it and it might be hard to find, so you offer midway and do 3.50. Lets them overcharge and gives you a break on something you want.

Ebay shouldnt let people use BO for cards under 10.00

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
It's not "asking price" dependent but rather market price dependent.

I know plenty of sellers, myself included, who list BIN prices w/ BO pretty close to market value of previous auctions, or even less - just because we have the best offer feature active doesn't automatically mean 50% discount. Often my BIN is hit without someone even making an offer.

I don't jack up the price 2- or 3-fold like some sellers. While I see the merits of doing this (i.e. going fishing for a sucker newbie who makes an absurd offer or even hits the BIN), I find that it is more often a deterrent to people even making offers at all.

Granted, whatever listing you're referring to is probably one of the jacked up price ones and I'm assuming you made a realistic market price offer. Just wanted to point out the blanket thinking of getting a card for half of the BIN price just because a seller has best offer active doesn't always fly when the seller makes realistic market-based BIN prices.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Casey2884 said:
It's not "asking price" dependent but rather market price dependent.

I know plenty of sellers, myself included, who list BIN prices w/ BO pretty close to market value of previous auctions, or even less - just because we have the best offer feature active doesn't automatically mean 50% discount. Often my BIN is hit without someone even making an offer.

I don't jack up the price 2- or 3-fold like some sellers. While I see the merits of doing this (i.e. going fishing for a sucker newbie who makes an absurd offer or even hits the BIN), I find that it is more often a deterrent to people even making offers at all.

Granted, whatever listing you're referring to is probably one of the jacked up price ones and I'm assuming you made a realistic market price offer. Just wanted to point out the blanket thinking of getting a card for half of the BIN price just because a seller has best offer active doesn't always fly when the seller makes realistic market-based BIN prices.

Ok that's all great. My point is, when you put up the BO, you are opening the door for negotiations. And if you don't want to negotiate below 50 cents of your asking price (this is all sellers in general, not actually you), then don't use the BO option.

You just said people hit the BIN without making offers. So why even use it if you want what you are originally asking for?

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
GarkoCollector said:
jrinne said:

If you cant swing a buck fifty to get a card you wanted, makes me wonder if you should be buying cards. It would be different if it were a .25 card and someone was asking 7.00 for it. You compromise because you really want it and it might be hard to find, so you offer midway and do 3.50. Lets them overcharge and gives you a break on something you want.

Ebay shouldnt let people use BO for cards under 10.00

The $1.50 isn't the issue its that fact that he offers best offer on a card he wont accept a best offer on. The cards not rare by all means and I will find it for a lot less sooner or later.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Pinbreaker said:
jrinne said:

What were his shipping costs.. If he was offereing free shipping, it's going to cost him $2 just to ship it, not including the EBAY fees..

It was free shipping but by all means if someone offers free shipping on a card like that I would expect to receive it in a PWE and top loader.

Members online