Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First five pitches from Jon Lester tonight....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I watch archived games from time-to-time to watch certain matchups.

First five pitches today from Lester vs. the Brewers:

Pitch 1: Can't remember ball or strike.
Pitch 2: Dropped foul ball by Adrian Gonzalez
Pitch 3: HR by Rickie Weeks.
Pitch 4: HR by Corey Hart.
Pitch 5: Piss rod double by Ryan Braun.

Oops.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
According to BBTN, a game hasn't been started with a lead-off UNearned run since the 70's. I really don't understand the scoring; I never knew a fielder could be charged an error if no one got on base. You learn something new every day.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
hive17 said:
According to BBTN, a game hasn't been started with a lead-off UNearned run since the 70's. I really don't understand the scoring; I never knew a fielder could be charged an error if no one got on base. You learn something new every day.

It's an error because the misplay by the fielder is to the other team's advantage. From MLB's rules:

10.12 Errors

An error is a statistic charged against a fielder whose action has assisted the team on offense, as set forth in this Rule 10.12.

(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:

(1) whose misplay (fumble, **** or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;

(2) when such fielder muffs a foul fly to prolong the time at bat of a batter, whether the batter subsequently reaches first base or is put out;

Full rules can be found here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/of ... rer_10.jsp

Members online