Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Edwin Rodriguez Resigns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
From mlbtraderumors.com

"Marlins skipper Edwin Rodriguez has resigned, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald (via Twitter). Bench coach Brandon Hyde will become the interim manager.

Rumors have swirled about Rodriguez's job status this season as the Fish have floundered. Florida has lost 18 of their last 21 games and earlier this month fired hitting coach John Mallee in an effort to shake things up.

Rodriguez was hired on a full-time basis in November. The 50-year-old finished 2010 as the club's interim manager after Fredi Gonzalez was fired."

He was going to get fired anyways with the team's horrible June.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I never understood the firing of managers because of the team losing games. They arent the ones failing to hit, they arent the ones no scoring runs. The manager isnt on the field to contribute. They cant help when the players dont play well. How about players start getting fired for not performing?

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
GarkoCollector said:
I never understood the firing of managers because of the team losing games. They arent the ones failing to hit, they arent the ones no scoring runs. The manager isnt on the field to contribute. They cant help when the players dont play well. How about players start getting fired for not performing?

A huge part of the manager's job is to extract the best performance possible out of his players. If a team is underperforming, that reflects directly on the manager. Baseball is littered with guys who know enough about the game to make the right game calls... what makes a guy good enough to manage on the Major League level is his ability to connect with the players. He doesn't have to be their best friend, but he does need their respect.

Incidentally, I'm sure Hanley Ramirez would be happy to get fired, even if it meant walking away from the last 3 years of his $70 million contract.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
maxpower said:
GarkoCollector said:

A huge part of the manager's job is to extract the best performance possible out of his players. If a team is underperforming, that reflects directly on the manager. Baseball is littered with guys who know enough about the game to make the right game calls... what makes a guy good enough to manage on the Major League level is his ability to connect with the players. He doesn't have to be their best friend, but he does need their respect.

Incidentally, I'm sure Hanley Ramirez would be happy to get fired, even if it meant walking away from the last 3 years of his $70 million contract.

If players arent performing, its their own fault. The manager isnt swinging their bat or fielding ground balls. Some of the coaches players have best connected with have been fired. Players dont have enough on the line and in turn, often dont seem to care when they arent performing.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
GarkoCollector said:
maxpower said:
GarkoCollector said:

If players arent performing, its their own fault. The manager isnt swinging their bat or fielding ground balls. Some of the coaches players have best connected with have been fired. Players dont have enough on the line and in turn, often dont seem to care when they arent performing.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to absolve the players of any responsibility. However, the VALUE that a manager brings is in player motivation. If he's not motivating the players, there simply isn't much reason for an owner to keep him around.

The Marlins situation is complicated, because Loria is a moron, but in general, I do understand firing managers. They're generally more fungible than players.

I also agree that it would be ideal if players had more on the line, but it's tough to do. Teams could make deals more incentive driven, but they'd have to pay a premium in order to have players take on the risk (i.e. $10 million base for Pujols, but $40 million if his OPS tops 1.100, etc.). Or we could limit contracts to one year and let players be free agents every year.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
fengzhang said:
You can't fire the players so you fire the manager.

You actually can fire players though, right? You just have to pay the buyout or eat the salary (just like with managers)...

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Its a sad situation, because i feel like he was a good guy, and he knew what he was doing.

The problem is, this is a playoff talent level team and they've lost 15 of 16 games.

Edwin knew that shouldnt happen, and at some point he figured out that he didn't know what to do to stop the tailspin.

So he took one for the team, fell on the sword, jumped on the grenade, etc.

It was a selfless move, and maybe it was the only thing he could do to save the season.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
maxpower said:
GarkoCollector said:
maxpower said:
GarkoCollector said:

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to absolve the players of any responsibility. However, the VALUE that a manager brings is in player motivation. If he's not motivating the players, there simply isn't much reason for an owner to keep him around.

The Marlins situation is complicated, because Loria is a moron, but in general, I do understand firing managers. They're generally more fungible than players.

I also agree that it would be ideal if players had more on the line, but it's tough to do. Teams could make deals more incentive driven, but they'd have to pay a premium in order to have players take on the risk (i.e. $10 million base for Pujols, but $40 million if his OPS tops 1.100, etc.). Or we could limit contracts to one year and let players be free agents every year.

I totally agree.

Here is a good example: my boss was fired earlier this year. As a team, we were performing good but it could have been better. I can tell you that he was the difference between 'good' and 'very good' or 'great', within a 2 years time frame, he lost respect of everyone by taking suspicious decisions and not being aware of other people's contribution and knowledge.

Am i saying we were all perfect employees? No. but as the guy who was supposed to get us all together, he failed. And was fired.

Members online

Latest posts