Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Top 50 midseason Prospect List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Figure I make one that might sound more competent that the one that was listed recently... I am not adding people who have been drafted.

1) Mike Trout- Over Harper sure, has the look of a guy who can hit .300 hit 25 HR, steal 40 Bags, and can play good defense. Taking him over Harper due to performance at AA.

2) Bryce Harper- Monster power, a better bat than projected, he can possibly do it all, but could be held back by his attitude, and hasn't played against more difficult competition yet.

3) Shelby Miller- +Fastball, + Curveball, the makings of a + Change, and improved command due to great mechanics has the look of a rotation anchor.

4) Matt Moore- Lefty with great stuff, has the look of a TOR starter that may have more potential than David Price.

5) Manny Machado- Great start to his career with more pop than predicted and playing sound defense at SS. Maybe end up being more a sure thing than Harper due to polish.

6) Martin Perez- Another Lefty with nasty stuff, has a similar ceiling to Moore, but Moore has better command of his pitches currently.

7) Brett Lawrie- Big jump in power performance this year, sure he's playing in the PCL but could end up being the next Ryan Braun, if he doesn't become a headcase.

8) Jameson Taillon- Showing great command for a young pitcher considering he's been working off his fastball all year, next year watch for the K's to jump.

9) Dustin Ackley- Power and average have been up and if he can stick at 2nd could become a premier middle infielder.

10) Julio Teheran- Good stuff, but there is a question on how long is he going to hold up as a starter, could end up being an electric arm, but could end up being the 2nd Juan Cruz.

11) Jurickson Profar- So far he had exceeded anyone expectations with the bat and is a lock to stay in the middle infield. He may have a similar ceiling to Machado.

12) Wil Myers- While I thought he could be much higher than this, I have to leave him here for now due to missing time. I rate him over Montero due to being able to play in the field and could end up being a better offensive player.

13) Anthony Rizzo- He could end up being a lot like A-Gon but SD park may hold down his numbers.

14) Devin Mesoraco- Could end up being potentially the next Brian McCann at catcher, either way he's has AS upside, and I like him as well over Montero due to being able to stay at Catcher.

15) Jacob Turner- I like Turner, but he has shown this year that he may not have a #1 starter ceiling, but could be a good #2 starter. A much better prospect than Porcello was.

16) Jesus Montero- I rank Montero here as he's proven that he can't play defense and his bb/k has declined a lot this year. He's not Miguel Cabrera, but more closer to Billy Butler.

17) Tyler Skaggs- Surprised, you shouldn't be at all. He's been hitting low to mid 90's this year with good secondary pitches. Dominating the CAL league is big. Could be a richman's John Danks which is a #2 starter.

18) Mike Moustakis- Big power potential, we'll see if he can stay at 3rd. He has AS appearances if he can.

19) Lonnie Chisenhall- Don't worry about the numbers in AAA, he can be a potential AS 3rd baseman.

20) Matt Harvey- Dominating the FSL with his FB and CB combination, if he CU develops into an average or better pitch he can be a #2, very likely a good #3.

21) Jean Segura- If he can stick at SS, he can become a Jose Reyes type player, but I don't think he'll be the 2011 Reyes which is incredible. More likely to be a 2nd baseman with Howie Kendrick ability with more speed.

22) Drew Pomeranz- Could be a #2 starter if he can develop his changeup, if not he could become an electric closer and be a Johnny Venters type pitcher.

23) Wilin Rosario- Catchers who have strong arms and solid defense don't grow on trees.

24) Danny Duffy- Has already 30 IP but he can become a good #3 with a potential to be a #2.

25) Kyle Gibson- Like the K's but not an ace but a good #3 starter with an outside change to be a 2.

26) Manny Banuelos- Excellent changeup, good curve, but poor fastball command had him at 91-93 and touched 95. Overrated by the media and won't be a #1. He could be a #2 or #3 depending on his fastball command.

27) Arodys Vizcaino- If he can survive his elbow scare and add a changeup, he may have the highest ceiling in the Braves Organization. If he can't add the change, he might end up being the next Rafael Soriano.

28) Nick Castellanos- Call me crazy by ranking him this high but it might be smart. Throw out his april and you have a plus .300 hitter with solid power in the MWL.

29) Jake Marisnick- Which brings me to another MWL player whom may have a AS ceiling as well. Marisnick the longer he hits over .300 continues to take away the naysayers with his hitting. Could become a premier CF in the majors if he hits his potential.

30) Carlos Martinez- Big arm, also i've heard he might not have the mechanics to hold as a starter.

31) Travis D'Arnaud- Another catcher whom could have potential AS appearances in the future if his back holds up.

32) Zach Wheeler- Big arm, but also an above average injury risk. Could be good for a few years or poof in the minors.

33) Miguel Sano- Big power, also needs to find a position to play, could be in the top 10 next year.

34) Jarrod Parker- Recovery from TJ has been slow, needs to find his command.

35) Hak Ju Lee- Could be a top 15 guy this year from now, he could become the electric leadoff hitter they have been looking for years.

36) Taijuan Walker- Potential elite talent needs to harness his changeup to move up the list. Simply too overpowering for the MWL right now.

37) Desmond Jennings- A big drop for me, can he show that he can be an everyday player. May not live up to the rays expectations also will be 25 in october.

38) Gary Sanchez- Can he overcome his attitude troubles and become an offensive monster or does he get dealt like Jose Tabata did.

39) Paul Goldschmidt- Monster power season currently, can he keep it up in the majors or will he become another Dallas McPherson type who feasted in the minors and couldn't hit in the majors.

40) Jason Kipnis- Currently on a tear in AAA and I feel the indians need him ASAP. Could have a nice long career as a regular with maybe an AS season or two sprinkled in.

41) Casey Kelly

42) Brett Jackson

43) Mike Montgomery

44) Jedd Gyoko

45) Zach Lee

46) Dellin Betances

47) Josh Sale

48) Gary Brown

49) Derek Norris

50) Robert Erlin

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
JoshHamilton said:
Paul Goldschmidt at 39?

Seriously?

Yeah, given his power I thought that rating was a bit low.

Mike Stanton was a mainstay in top 10, and goldschmidt has similar power.

Goldschmidt is on pace to hit 42 home runs in the southern league.

Think about that for a second.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
JoshHamilton said:
Paul Goldschmidt at 39?

Seriously?

I did, i've heard Jack Cust and Ryan Shealy comps. There is an outside chance he can be another Howard.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
mwashuc06 said:
cgilmo said:
JoshHamilton said:
Paul Goldschmidt at 39?

Seriously?

I did, i've heard Jack Cust and Ryan Shealy comps. There is an outside chance he can be another Howard.

You focus too much on comparisons.

Cust and Shealy didn't put up numbers this gaudy outside of the cal league.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Great list! I really like Profar and agree he could be right there with Machado. They've both slowed down a bit, and so has Harper. I was wondering about Jonathan Schoop. Has shown great skill set so far, I put him in the top 40. I'm also much lower on Ackley and Lawrie, but otherwise no complaints.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
cgilmo said:
mwashuc06 said:
cgilmo said:
JoshHamilton said:
Paul Goldschmidt at 39?

Seriously?

You focus too much on comparisons.

I disagree, Goldschmidt is a year behind what Chris Davis did in the minors, and we all know how that worked out. Won't be sold on him until he does it at the major league level.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
hoopster3977 said:
Pomeranz a closer? ::facepalm::

You lost me right there, and your list is not legit.

I've read that some scouts have him as a two pitch reliever...

That's Crucial

May 11, 2011
hoopster3977 said:
mwashuc06 said:
hoopster3977 said:

Do you believe everything you read, and take scout's opinions as facts?

Get all bent out of shape about someone you dont have a BGS 10 of in your sig?

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
One more thought, I would have Jordan Lyles in the top 25. He isn't dominant, but he is a 20 year old performing adequately in the majors, and that is much better to me than a guy putting up average numbers at A ball

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
Goldschmidt ranking is a joke.

Pomeranz throws 92, he won't be a closer.

Not sure how Erlin is 50. Has anyone seen his K/BB
Ratio

Machado at 5 is too high IMO

I like the Trout over Harper ranking

Teheran should be top 5

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
That's Crucial said:
hoopster3977 said:
mwashuc06 said:
hoopster3977 said:

Do you believe everything you read, and take scout's opinions as facts?

Get all bent out of shape about someone you dont have a BGS 10 of in your sig?

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG
KIN CAR 2 2 1.93 12 12 0 0 0 60.2 44 18 13 1 23 77 0.87 .201

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
From a Rangers perspective...
Little high on Perez and Profar, bout right for Erlin and Leonys Martin needs to be in there somewhere. IMO of course.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Could someone please explain how people are ripping a list that is all about projection before we see how the players pan out? Come back in a few years from now if you want to see if the list is legit.

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
Could someone please explain how people are ripping a list that is all about projection before we see how the players pan out? Come back in a few years from now if you want to see if the list is legit.
There would be no market for prospects if everyone did that.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
tikitomoka said:
Topnotchsy said:
There would be no market for prospects if everyone did that.
Sure there is. You buy who you think is good, and if/when prices go up you sell them. I am not saying not to have opinions, all I am saying is that to rip someone else simply because his ideas are not in line with the scouting reports you have read (or from what you have seen) is ridiculous considering we know how unexact a science it all is. IMO there's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but dismissing someone as ridiculous or the like makes no sense to me. JMO of course.