Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Redemption Replacement Mailday....suckit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marterburn

This is not one of those high-end crappy replacement sagas. This is a story of three small cards, and 1 crappy replacement (of 3).

Last September, I hit a redemption for a Alexei Ramirez Rising Stars Emerald auto out of Triple Threads. Sweet, even thoutgh the player could have been better, those are really nice looking on-card autos, can't wait to get it! Then in December I accidentally won two mystery redemption from Bowman platinum. Of COURSE they both turned out to be Gorkys Hernandez, why would have luck hitting a good player. I'l just flip 'em when they come, I thought.

Well in February the redemption window for Alexei expired, and I got the "error" message from Topps that offered a replacement. I asked for it, and over the next 5 weeks I emailed and emailed Topps with no response (5 times I think). I finally called in mid-March, and the rep told me Alexei was signing the cards in Spring Training. So I decided to wait. Argh...

In late March the redemption window on the Hernandez's expired, and I shot a message off to Topps asking for the status and potential replacements on those, knowing it probably wouldn't get responded to. It didn't.

Fast forward to early-May, and I've still got 0 out of the three cards. I decided to send one more message to Topps asknig for replacements on all three. Miracle of miracles, they responded! Of course, their canned response said they were not offering replacements at this time for these cards.

I tried again 2 weeks ago, since there was no further anything from Topps. Then last week I got a response saying they would be sending replacements in the next 1-2 weeks. Finally, I thought, it would be over.

Today the mailday comes, and the big reveal:

Hernandez 1 = 2009 Bowman Sterling Ryan Perry...meh, about what I would expect from Topps.
Hernandez 2 = 2009 Bowman Sterling Antonio Bastardo...sweet, that'll sell for BETTER than Hernandez, but still at about the same level and a good replacement.
Ramirez = 2007 Topps Turkey Red Felix Pie Refractor auto...WTF? Not only is 2007 Turkey Red one of the worst sets made by Topps in the last 5 years, this card is NOT NUMBERED and NOT ON-CARD, and Pie has signed way way way more that Alexei has....this is not close, it's a lower-end card, but c'mon, this is not in the neighborhood....

Thoughts?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Re: Topps Redemption Replacement Mailday....arrrgh!

I thought you got some Pirates players for your redemptions with the "arrrgh!"

Shiver me timbers, might as well be pirates autos.............sorry dude, I don't mess with redemptions anymore.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
That is 110% unacceptable to replace any Triple Threads auto with a Turkey Red auto. I wish you luck in getting this fixed.

marterburn

Here's the points I will be bringing up when I all tomorrow, if I need to:

1. The value is not close to equal. Pie autos do not sell at all, or sell for $2-3 at most. The last Ramirez Triple Threads redemption (/50, mine's /75) went for over $20.
2. The Pie is not on-card like the Ramirez would have been.
3. The Pie is not from a high-end product. Triple Threads is the highest end product Topps does, and the replacement should at least come in the form of a scarce card, if not a Triple Threads or other high-end product.
4. 2007 Turkey Red is not collected. There's a reason Topps did not do it again after 2007. Adding refractor technology to a sticker autograph in a retro set is one of the worst concepts ever, and that's what this card is.
5. Pie has signed a TON of autographs for Topps. This would have been Ramirez's first autographed Topps card, and that just adds to the huge disparity in the collectability of the two cards.

Members online

Latest posts