Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gypsy Queen Art GU 1/1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubsFan13

Jul 1, 2010
daveyou said:
the black and white's are redemptions while the color sketches are pack pulled

dave

Thanks for the info.

The Longoria looks so much nicer than the other two.

deadwaxsociety

Jun 1, 2011
CubsFan13 said:
The colored ones are done by Monty Sheldon, the black and white sketches are done by Dave Hobrecht. Contrary to what was said, I believe only some B&Ws are redemptions, none of the ones done by Sheldon are redemptions.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
I pulled the Ichiro - somebody on here made the comment that he looks more like Lance Berkman. I have a hard time arguing with that observation (hat tip to whoever said that).

IchiroGQ1of1.jpg

A_Pharis

I was about to say, Chas, that I've seen tons of famous artwork that featured very small - and very detailed - faces. Look at the upcoming release with the presidential art cards. Those faces aren't THAT much bigger and are done with a paintbrush.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I will attest to the fact that dime versus half-dollar sized faces are much more difficult to paint. Obviously this Monty fellow's main gig isn't to paint in miniature though; there are certainly artists who have mastered miniature, he isn't one of them. That said, I think the cards are beautiful, despite the face distortions.

A_Pharis

vwnut13 said:
A_Pharis said:
Those faces aren't THAT much bigger and are done with a paintbrush.

Monty's cards look to be painted and "those faces" are that much bigger.

Having seen the "in progress" shots, they look more like color sketch pencil to me.

Edit: And to add - you're never going to change my mind - no matter how many threads about it you follow me into. I don't think he is the artist for the job. Frankly - they suck. Do I think I could do better? Nope - but I'm also not the person commissioned to do them. I think there are more qualified and more talented artists out there.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
A_Pharis said:
Having seen the "in progress" shots, they look more like color sketch pencil to me.

www.montysheldon.com said:
The following images are from a recent Topps job I finished in which I was asked to paint on blank, 1/1 relic cards for their upcoming (April 27 release) Gypsy Queen product.

A_Pharis

vwnut13 said:
A_Pharis said:

[quote="www.montysheldon.com]The following images are from a recent Topps job I finished in which I was asked to paint on blank, 1/1 relic cards for their upcoming (April 27 release) Gypsy Queen product.
[/quote][/quote]

Meh. The shot sin progress looked sketched to me. P.S. Still sucks.

Members online

Latest posts