Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NHL Awards (and Stamkos coverboy NHL 12)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'm watching the CBC and Jeff Skinner is honestly amazing. It's crazy to see just how humble and nervous some of these kids are. Furthermore, even the grizzled veterans are insanely humble.

It's pretty awesome and I'm surprisingly entertained by Jay Moore.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Corey Perry with the Hart. I'm a little surprised. I was really pulling for St. Louis and thought he deserved it (obviously I'm biased), but I thought Sedin would have received it.

sabresfreak

Sep 5, 2008
Card Magnet said:
St. Louis wins the Lady Byng :) .

When they brought out the housewives you knew things were going to get ugly. As for the far east movement. ::facepalm:: I thought the Ryan vs. Ryan part 2 was good but not as funny as last year.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
sabresfreak said:
Card Magnet said:
St. Louis wins the Lady Byng :) .

When they brought out the housewives you knew things were going to get ugly. As for the far east movement. ::facepalm:: I thought the Ryan vs. Ryan part 2 was good but not as funny as last year.

I think you have to remember that 95% of the audience is Canada (i bet it's actually higher than that) and Canadians love shitting on Americans. It's definitely a napoleon complex kinda diddy. So the NHL loves playing to that.

Anyways, I definitely think there were better storylines.

Corey Perry was a beast at the end of the year.

What did you guys think of Moore? I liked his impressions quite a bit.

I think it would've been very funny to have a Ryan vs. Ryan but with the Sweds and Fins. I know it doesn't play as well, but picture:

Sedins and Ruutus bickering over the best brothers. In steps Niedermyers (or Staals, I guess). More funny bickering. Scene ends with all six Sutter brothers just beating the piss out of everyone and laughing.

Pan out and it's the second gen sutters (brandon and brett) watching hockeyfights.com or espn.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Wow Corey Perry with the Hart Trophy. That is huge!! Do you guys think this moves Perry into the very top echolon of players? Is he in the same class as Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos? Perry has a Cup Ring as well.

lumm0x

May 23, 2009
G $MONEY$ said:
Wow Corey Perry with the Hart Trophy. That is huge!! Do you guys think this moves Perry into the very top echolon of players? Is he in the same class as Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos? Perry has a Cup Ring as well.

Frankly no. First off I am stunned Stamkos is even getting in there given his Tampa Bay position. He's very talented but Tampa doesn't typically get a lot of hobby appreciate or general league recognition. It took a long time for people to appreciate St. Louis for what he is. Had he been in a hockey hotbed he'd have been constantly drooled over. Being in Anaheim and playing with Getzlaf and Ryan makes Perry easy to forget due to the location and many will attribute alot of his success to help from high end talent on his line. Put Crosby or Ovechkin with any two 4th line pluggers and they still excel individually. Put Perry with the same and I doubt he does the same. He's a great young player definitely finding his peak performance level, but he's not in that class, at least yet.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Yeah i pretty much agree with your response Lummox, thanks for the reply.

I just watched a taped version of the awards a few hours ago and one thing kind of bothered me. Those "Housewife" stars (whoever they are) handed out the Lady Byng trophy. Could the NHL not have told these women how to pronounce Martin St Louis name correctly? Obviously these women knew nothing about Hockey ::facepalm:: Calling him "St. Louis" just like the name of the city and not calling him "St. Louie" like how it is pronounced. I just shook my head and laughed when they called him by the name of the City. ::facepalm::

stu

Jan 24, 2010
I always weep a little inside when I pull a Martin St. Louis card. He's a great player but has absolutely no value. If he played in the Northeast or Canada, he's be viewed up there with players like Pavel Bure and Theo Fleury.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
:D :) :p :mrgreen: :D :) :p :mrgreen:

117115649_slide.jpg

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I do think Corey Perry deserved the Hart Trophy. I do not think it puts him in the upper echelon of players.

Shea Weber should have won the Norris. I agreed with all the other awards.

Jay Mohr was funny at times but him calling Steve Yzerman Steve Whyzerman was embarrassing for the NHL as was the old hags mispronouncing Marty St. Louis' last name.

Jon Hamm should host the NHL Awards next year instead of Mohr.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
G $MONEY$ said:
Yeah i pretty much agree with your response Lummox, thanks for the reply.

I just watched a taped version of the awards a few hours ago and one thing kind of bothered me. Those "Housewife" stars (whoever they are) handed out the Lady Byng trophy. Could the NHL not have told these women how to pronounce Martin St Louis name correctly? Obviously these women knew nothing about Hockey ::facepalm:: Calling him "St. Louis" just like the name of the city and not calling him "St. Louie" like how it is pronounced. I just shook my head and laughed when they called him by the name of the City. ::facepalm::
Wait...it's not pronounced the same as the city of St. Louis? You learn something new every day.

(joking)

I kind of wish Alexander Semin would have won an award. It would have been pretty funny to hear them call up Alexander "*****", because I have a pretty childish sense of humor.

Even if you're not a hockey fan, shouldn't common sense kick in that many players have French-influenced last names since they're from Canada? Or at least the common sense to do a name check with somebody in charge.

Latest posts