Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

my single collecting goal for this summer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_crabby95

Jun 20, 2011
i want to own either a vintage card or jersey card of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig or a vintage Mickey Mantle. i think if i mow a lotta grass i can get a pretty nice vintage mantle. i like those best, jersey cards are fun, but theres just something about those old cards. i have some good stuff to trade too.

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Good luck Travis(?). It's nice to see some younger collectors in the hobby with some ambitions, no matter how grand they may be. I noticed you mentioned mowing some lawns and trading. What other plans do you have to accomplish a vintage Mantle? Do you have your eyes on any in particular?

t_crabby95

Jun 20, 2011
I found a mickey mantle I like. Its a 1960 Topps. I don't want a graded card, I think that that plastic case takes away from the "feel" of holding/owning a vintage card. I know that there are fake ones out there, what are thinge I should look for?

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Re: my single collecting coal for this summer.

JEBJJA said:
Nice story........

Great post, way to contribute to the thread.

To the OP, good luck on your goal. I don't know much about vintage cards, but I can't wait to see what you end up with by the end of summer.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
t_crabby95 said:
I found a mickey mantle I like. Its a 1960 Topps. I don't want a graded card, I think that that plastic case takes away from the "feel" of holding/owning a vintage card. I know that there are fake ones out there, what are thinge I should look for?

I think that for a really popular player like Mantle there would be a lot of fakes out there, and you probably wouldn't be able to tell a fake from the real thing just from a picture. I would recommend if you're going to buy it online, buy a graded one. Otherwise do a lot of research on how to spot fakes, and then buy in person from a card shop or dealer that you know and trust, or from an FCB'er. If you're going to work hard all summer for a sweet card, it'd suck to get ripped off.

BTW, your OP reminded me of when I was in high school I spent an entire day raking a neighbor's lawn so I could make the $10 a local shop was charging for a 1989 Donruss Griffey RC! Ah, the memories...

Good luck this summer!

- Rod

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
How much are you looking to spend my LCS bought a 57 Topps Mantle the other day its off center but has not been trimmed. I am not sure what he wants for it but could ask.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would recommend, if you're buying online, to purchase a graded copy and then just pop it out of the slab. At least that way, you don't have to worry about it being a fake/altered/etc. Well, at least it's not nearly as likely anyway.

Members online

Latest posts