Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What makes a collection "sick"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am just wondering.

Do you judge a collection by what's in it, the time to obtain it, or both?

To me, a sick collection has to be something that the collector is passionate and proud of, but took some time to gather up. That's the fun of collecting is knowing that you put time into it.

This whole deal was something that came to me because of a collection video I watched last night. If anyone would like to see it, I can post it and explain my thinking.

Buck15_24

Jun 11, 2011
I would have to say both. my opinion about my own collection is where I came up with my answer because I've been working on it since I was little, and still have a passion for it. But since I've been working on it for so long, I've got some sweet stuff too. So I think it could be for both reasons.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Buck15_24 said:
I would have to say both. my opinion about my own collection is where I came up with my answer because I've been working on it since I was little, and still have a passion for it. But since I've been working on it for so long, I've got some sweet stuff too. So I think it could be for both reasons.

Awesome!

I have been collecting for 10 years or so. I started in around 2000-2001 and it has taken me 10 years to get what I have. It's not a headturning collection, but I am proud of it.

I have a few nice things.

Buck15_24

Jun 11, 2011
TBTwinsFan said:
Buck15_24 said:

Awesome!

I have been collecting for 10 years or so. I started in around 2000-2001 and it has taken me 10 years to get what I have. It's not a headturning collection, but I am proud of it.

I have a few nice things.

That's the main thing. I think that in this hobby as long as you have a passion for it, and are proud of what you have, then it's hard to beat.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
There are a lot of different things in my book that would make it "sick". It could be a combination of the following, or even just one of them, and some things I didn't think to write.

- Monetary value : No explanation needed.

- Patches : I always love a collection with "sick" patches. If you've got logos, multi colors, letters, numbers, laundry tags, etc. in the collection, I love it.

- Scarcity : A collection filled with low print run cards or 1/1s, or a collection with vintage cards that are hard to come by.

- Vintage : I hesitate to call a vintage collection "sick" because it just seems wrong to apply a modern word to the cards of yesteryear, but the appreciation is in the same spirit as calling something "sick".

- Quantity : If you have a lot of different cards of a player/team, that can be a "sick" collection.

- Autographs : I'd call a collection "sick" if it had some nice autographs in it, whether Hall of Famers or superstars of today.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
NYCrulesU said:

That just made me spit out my morning coffee. :lol: Really wasn't expecting that.

Anyways...

A "Sick" collection is indeed a combination of many things: size, monetary value, time spent towards collection, eye appeal (patches), scarcity (1/1s) etc etc etc. When we have the "player collectors" showdown each year, we see the most incredible collections including cards but also memorabilia. Displaying collections also catches the eye. Having a mega collection in binders is nice but having a basement with everything exposed like a museum is more eye appealing.

Then there's the collector himself/herself. Someone who says "check this out... blah blah blah" is one thing. A collector who knows his/her player from beginning to end is something else. Giving details about certain games, stats etc shows that he/she is definately a follower and collector who knows his/her stuff.

I guess there are alot of things that make up a "Sick" collection. For some it's germs I guess. :lol:

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
chashawk said:
a collection can only be considered sick, if and only if, you always refer to it as; The Greatest "Player Name" Collection Ever, Hands Down!

LOL!!! You win for best response! :lol: :lol: :lol:

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Now what the collector thinks is sick is different from what everyone else things, I assume you mean what makes
a collection sick to everyone else. I think the collection has to have that...dang, that would of taken years to
put together feel. Anyone could go out on ebay with a huge chunk of money and buy a bunch of eye candy.....patches
today are just not special as they once were. If anything the card companies are making MORE of them. What
they aren't making anymore are on card autographs of legends. I would rather have a collection of all on card
autographs because once a player dies those will only dry up and become rare, there will always be patch
material and some of that dubious in nature! Even sticker autographs can come out after a guy dies.

That Griffey collection is a great example, not only are most of those cards super rare,but they rarely pop up on
ebay and when they do they go for sick amounts, and while the card companies could make them again, they have
proven too stupid to make money off stuff that is still popular today. That Ginter super collector comes to mind also.

Kevin

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I agree with this, people appreciate different things. The collection should definitely make sense in any case, I don't generally appreciate a mish-mosh of different types of cards thrown together. I definitely appreciate a collection with direction much more. I also don't think collections that focus on what everyone else has is very interesting either.

Personally, I don't think a collection that's made up of *mostly* autographs and/or patches/GU to be particularly interesting, I think the cardboard is most interesting with different photos and card designs. However if the collection's focus is, say, autographs then I'd appreciate all the autographs so much more within a collection...although I'd appreciate it more if all the autos weren't of the same player over and over again :)

Card Magnet said:
There are a lot of different things in my book that would make it "sick". It could be a combination of the following, or even just one of them, and some things I didn't think to write.

- Monetary value : No explanation needed.

- Patches : I always love a collection with "sick" patches. If you've got logos, multi colors, letters, numbers, laundry tags, etc. in the collection, I love it.

- Scarcity : A collection filled with low print run cards or 1/1s, or a collection with vintage cards that are hard to come by.

- Vintage : I hesitate to call a vintage collection "sick" because it just seems wrong to apply a modern word to the cards of yesteryear, but the appreciation is in the same spirit as calling something "sick".

- Quantity : If you have a lot of different cards of a player/team, that can be a "sick" collection.

- Autographs : I'd call a collection "sick" if it had some nice autographs in it, whether Hall of Famers or superstars of today.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
What makes a collection "sick"?

Internally all that matters is what said collector thinks. There are many cards that hold memories that take someone back to a moment or family member. Book value can never match the emotional connection.

When it comes to the external factor I am a fan of quality over quantity. Anyone can have a stack of cards. My favorite collections are those filled with scarce items.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
For a truly sick collection, one must have several Lou Gehrig cards.

Lou Gehrig had Lou Gehrig's Disease, which makes people really sick

Members online

Latest posts