Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You just won the LOTTERY!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Here’s the scenario:
You just won $150 million dollars in a mega lottery (after all taxes and lottery hold-backs). You are set for life financially and get to do something you have always dreamed of – opening a card shop. The beauty of it all? You have the luxury of not caring less if you lose money on the venture. Basically you get to set it up however you feel, run it however you feel and enjoy it every second without the headache of “How am I gonna pay this months bills?!”

I’ll start.

#1 – My SPORTS CARD shop will only carry SPORTS CARDS. Big four + golf and possibly NASCAR. I think a lot of people get into the hobby shop business with the desire to carry sports products only, but to bring in revenue they have to resort to selling Pokemon, Magic, etc… I’m a millionaire so, I’M NOT DOING IT!!

#2 – For Sellers: I will never, ever low ball you. The offer you get from me will be fair and it will be my top dollar price. You can take cash or receive more value in store credit. Sellers must understand one thing though. I AM NOT THE END BUYER. The card I am buying from you does not go in my personal collection. I am a reseller. If your 1989 UD KGJ card is going for $30 raw on ebay I am not buying it for $30. I see this on Pawn Stars all the time and it’s annoying that people don’t get it.

#3 – For Buyers: All “primary market” products (those received from a distributor or manufacturer) will be sold at a retail mark-up that does not fluctuate. Secondary market items of course will change as the market does. This means – if my cost for a box of Topps Series I is $45, I’ll price it with a certain percentage mark-up. I will not change my price on that product if it becomes “hot”. Price would only change if my cost increases. I feel there should be a pricing divide between the two markets and I will not cross that line.

#4 – I will utilize all tools and sale mediums available to make my store profitable. Suffice it to say I will definitely need a JIT inventory platform.
• eBay
• Sportlots
• Consignment
• Pack Wars
• In-store auctions
• Grab bags
• Direct buy on store website
• Fee based “club” perks such as free packs, PSA submission discounts, etc…
• Want list fulfillment

#5 – Store set-up:
• Computers set-up for customers to browse store inventory, make ebay bids and purchases from the store (certain cards held back for sale on eBay only).
• Tables equipped with sorting trays for in-store box/pack breaking and pack wars.
• Lounge area with couches, chairs, and 50” flat screen always tuned to a sporting event.
• Opened boxes with packs for sale and unopened boxes behind cash wrap.
• Monster boxes of singles for sell set up in a designated area of store. Nickel, dime, quarter, and dollar price points.

Open Tuesday - Friday 9 a 7p Saturday & Sunday 9a – 9p (never understood why many shops close on Sunday – it is a day most people have off and they do want to go out and do stuff)

And finally, because I am a multi millionaire and will obviously vacation a lot :D I will hire a full time Store Manager to run the place when I am not there. This person will know their sh&t and at the same time be very social with our customer base. The beauty of this job is they can relax and focus on keeping the customer happy.
Feel free to add your own ideas for your store or criticize/applaud my ideas.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I would be 707 Sportscards.
Edit to explain:I would have an incredible inventory that I have always wanted for myself.I would give a damn if I sold because I would have cards i enjoy.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
I would open a huge shop with giant floorspace, stock every wax product that's still available for the major sports, and obscure ones, from 1989 on (and some older "junk wax" also). I would also have lots of singles of all value ranges to cater to different niches. Prices would be fair, competitive enough to stay in business, and never "overpriced". I wouldn't want to do the work of running the shop myself, so I'll hire some knowledgeable collector's to run it for me.

Or maybe I'll just take that money, buy a huge ass boat, find some hot chicks that Ovechkin would envy, and just sail around the world on a permanent vacation...

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Build my dream house here on the Gulf of Mexico, to include a big room that I would fill with '69 Mets memorabilia. :D Heck, I might even throw the wife a few bucks for her to play with. ;)

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
I'd hire failed Miss American pageant contestants to prance around my store wearing next to nothing and not give a dam about what was in my inventory or if I ever sold a card.

I would just look forward to coming into work every day. I would also buy some loose fitting pants, maybe track pants because I would want to be comfortable while pitching a tent all day.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
A different "Special Guest" working the cash register each day

Monday - The Mad Hungarian Al Hrabosky

Tuesdays - Hacman Jeffrey Leonard & Rickey 3rd person Henderson.

Wednesday - Steve Garvey-Davy Lopes-Bill Russell-Ron Cey (its busy that day)

Thursday - Dennis Rodman---he needs the work.

Friday - Brian Bosworth (All Bo Jackson stuff is half off)

Saturday - John McEnroe (dont haggle with him)

Sunday - Sundays with Strawberry.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
If I won the Lottery I definitely would not open a card shop.
I would buy some land in Barranquilla, build a bigass house, and build some fields and start a baseball academy.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
You'd start a card shop? Really? I'd give a crap ton of my cards away and travel the world with the wife. That's just me though. You enjoy throwing money away into a brick and mortar.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
IndyMann said:
You'd start a card shop? Really? I'd give a crap ton of my cards away and travel the world with the wife. That's just me though. You enjoy throwing money away into a brick and mortar.

Yes.

That's the beauty of having 150 mil. Worst case scenario is I take a loss of $25k a year - that's nothing!!!

And I would travel ALL the time, hence the hiring of the store maanger.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
mjbuchanan80 said:
IndyMann said:

Yes.

That's the beauty of having 150 mil. Worst case scenario is I take a loss of $25k a year - that's nothing!!!

So, if you're never there, what's the great euphoria about owning the shop?

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Jastermereel said:
mjbuchanan80 said:
IndyMann said:

Yes.

So, if you're never there, what's the great euphoria about owning the shop?

Ok...when I said "ALL" I guess I should have claified. I don't planing on being gone 24/7/365. I have 150 million and I have always wanted to own my own shop without regard for profitablity or sports card market conditions.

(Shhhhhh....I really don't have a 150 million...this is hypothetical...)

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'd probably enjoy the rest of life spontaniously, and definitely be giving a mass amount of that 150 million to charity. Set up trust funds for any children, grandchildren I had at the time, and relaxe. Probably keep working too.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Didn't mean for the thread to turn in to "what i would do with $150 million". Meant it more to be "You have $150 million, tell me about the card shop you would create". But oh well...

Reallistically I would buy a comfortable house here in KC, a winter home in South Beach, a new car for my wife and make life easy going for my parents, brothers, etc...

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I would build a nice ball park where local kids and adults could come play night and day, field of dreams style. My card shop would be located at the field & open 24hrs a day so you can get your wax fix 24hrs a day.

Members online