Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cliff Lee's back to back shutouts...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Cliff Lee has now tossed consecutive shutouts (June 16 & 22). According to baseball-reference.com, the last major league pitcher to do that was ... Roy Halladay (Sept. 25 & 30, 2009) in his last two starts for the Blue Jays. Before Halladay, the last pitcher to toss two donuts in a row was ... wait for it ... Roy Oswalt (Sept. 6 & 11, 2008), as an Astro.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
And the last pitcher to do that before Oswalt was Jamie Moyer, during his rookie season in 1901

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
JoshHamilton said:
And the last pitcher to do that before Oswalt was Jamie Moyer, during his rookie season in 1901
I had to laugh out loud at that one. Lets hope Oswalt can get back into shape tonight! He is arguably the best second half pitcher in baseball for the last decade or so. I think Oswalt set the Astros franchise record for consecutive scoreless innings during those starts.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
bradical said:
Best pitching staff in baseball can't even take a series from the M's.

:mrgreen:

why would that matter come September? Phils will be in the playoff and Seattle will be watching from the couch.

Kevin

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
bradical said:

why would that matter come September? Phils will be in the playoff and Seattle will be watching from the couch.

Kevin

The playoffs start in October, nitwit

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
You can make a strong argument that Halladay, Hamels, and Lee have been the three most valuable pitchers in the N.L. so far.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
tpeichel said:
You can make a strong argument that Halladay, Hamels, and Lee have been the three most valuable pitchers in the N.L. so far.
I think they are living up to the hype. Now throw in Oswalt when he gets back on track after the AS Game.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
bradical said:

Kevin

Because if the Phils can't even beat a second-tier team in the AL, how do they expect to beat the AL champions?

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
bradical said:
schmidtfan20 said:
bradical said:

Kevin

Because if the Phils can't even beat a second-tier team in the AL, how do they expect to beat the AL champions?

You're stooping to the level of the guy you're debating and i'm just pointing out you're being his equal...

:lol:

Looking at a season on a series by series standpoint is not so good...

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
phillyfan0417 said:
You're stooping to the level of the guy you're debating and i'm just pointing out you're being his equal...

Not at all.

I love getting him (or any other Phillies fans) riled up with blasphemous talk of their season. If a person can't take a jab here and there on behalf of the team they root for, then there are far more deep rooted issues than just their devotion to a sports team.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
bradical said:
phillyfan0417 said:

Not at all.

I love getting him (or any other Phillies fans) riled up with blasphemous talk of their season. If a person can't take a jab here and there on behalf of the team they root for, then there are far more deep rooted issues than just their devotion to a sports team.

your flaw is probably they are a certain type of phillies fans. most of us stay quiet and chuckle to ourselves that just a few years ago we were the ones nipping at the ankles of the good teams. We're sitting back enjoying the best time to be a phillies fan in our lifetimes. I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

ktothep

Aug 7, 2008
phillyfan0417 said:
your flaw is probably they are a certain type of phillies fans. most of us stay quiet and chuckle to ourselves that just a few years ago we were the ones nipping at the ankles of the good teams. We're sitting back enjoying the best time to be a phillies fan in our lifetimes. I'll enjoy it while it lasts...

I'll raise a glass to that Phillyfan!!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bradical said:
schmidtfan20 said:
bradical said:

Kevin

And the Red Sox can't even beat the second-worst team in baseball.

brumbach

ktothep said:
phillyfan0417 said:

I'll raise a glass to that Phillyfan!!

I agree!

Signed,
Robert Person

Latest posts