Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nolan Ryan pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Picked up this beauty for $21 delivered. The back of the card mentions that Ryan's 329 strikeouts in 1972 were the 4th best in MLB history (Ryan's previous season high was 137 in 1971). Ryan would set the new MLB standard of 383 Ks in 1973, but only Randy Johnson has totaled more in a season since Ryan's 329 in 1972.

The card itself is in EX to EX-MT condition, with the corners keeping it from any chance at a NM grade. Although the centering isn't perfect, there is no tilt and the card has good color.

scan0007.jpg

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Beauty!

My earliest Ryan is a 71, and I've yet to obtain a 73. Card is a little fuzzy on the left edge, and a couple print spots, but overall a beauty. For your PC? A decent price too. Congrats

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
wolfmanalfredo said:
Beauty!

My earliest Ryan is a 71, and I've yet to obtain a 73. Card is a little fuzzy on the left edge, and a couple print spots, but overall a beauty. For your PC? A decent price too. Congrats

can never have too many Ryans ;)

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Very nice! I once had my own 73 Topps Ryan, except mine was miscut so terribly that you could see the top half-inch of the card below it on the sheet! Had a 71 as well, that was pretty beat up as well. I got them both when I was around 12, so at that age I would have taken ripped up copies and been happy!

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
wolfmanalfredo said:
Beauty!

The left edge is fuzzy like an O-Pee-Chee, but just lightly. I pulled a 77 Murphy RC from a pack that was much worse than this. I can tolerate the yellow print spot in the red circle (it kind of looks like it's the ball!), but that red line cutting through the T and C in PITCHER will probably keep this from being a PC card. I had intended to add this to the PC, but I think I will end up slabbing and selling down the road. I would love to get a 6.5 on this, but I'm thinking more like 5.5.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading about the 272 Ks and 127 BBs that he had in Greenville in 1966 (in 183 IP).

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
ThoseBackPages said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
Beauty!

can never have too many Ryans ;)

Thats true. I envy your once a week or more sig of that EX Ryan RC. I'm missing 68-70,73,75 and mini,76, and 79. Otherwise I have them all on lockdown(Topps that is)

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
leatherman said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
Beauty!

The left edge is fuzzy like an O-Pee-Chee, but just lightly. I pulled a 77 Murphy RC from a pack that was much worse than this. I can tolerate the yellow print spot in the red circle (it kind of looks like it's the ball!), but that red line cutting through the T and C in PITCHER will probably keep this from being a PC card. I had intended to add this to the PC, but I think I will end up slabbing and selling down the road. I would love to get a 6.5 on this, but I'm thinking more like 5.5.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading about the 272 Ks and 127 BBs that he had in Greenville in 1966 (in 183 IP).

Oh I've done the same with pulling fuzzy bordered cards. Sometimes you even get the ones with little pieces of cardboard on the edges. Unfortunate that even though they're pack pulled, it can deter from the grade. Sometimes though, graders do simpathize with that and take less away.

I'm glad to see that you study the back of the card as well. There are not a ton of us out there, but those that are get the full spectrum appreciation for the card in hand. Also I'm willing to bet the most of us that do enjoy the back as much as the front are vintage collectors.