Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fallon/Costas crack wax, flip cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Great video. I've always heard of the card games that were played back in the day, but never saw them actually played. Now it's easy to see why vintage cards never survived all these years. Could you imagine tossing a 52 Mantle against a curb so you could win some common.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
mancini79 said:
Could you imagine tossing a 52 Mantle against a curb so you could win some common.

According to Bob in the video, you didn't flip or put in bike spokes the superstar players, just the commons. I would think you'd have to hate the Yankees or not realize the value of a Mantle if you were to put a 52 Mantle in your spokes.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
When I was a kid (mid to late 60's) it was all about your favorite team. We spent hours busting real wax packs and doing the "Need, got it" ceremony. If the player wasn't on your team, regardless of their star status, they were either traded or wound up making our Schwinn bikes sound cool. Our mothers were constantly missing clothes pins because we held the cards in place with them. :D

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
69MetsFan said:
When I was a kid (mid to late 60's) it was all about your favorite team. We spent hours busting real wax packs and doing the "Need, got it" ceremony. If the player wasn't on your team, regardless of their star status, they were either traded or wound up making our Schwinn bikes sound cool. Our mothers were constantly missing clothes pins because we held the cards in place with them. :D

Absolutely true! I was a kid in the mid 70s and that was still what we did, except for one kid (a friend I met later in life collecting). I would trade or flip anything that was not a Met or Yankee coming from Long Island. My friends dad for some reason always believed the "1st card" of a player & the superstars were all he should collect. He would trade away Mets & Yankees (sucker his freinds all must have thought) for Mike Schmidt "1st card" or Pete Rose cards and other superstars. Obviously his collection became worth a boat load of money. He had tons of great cards, while I had 55 Craig Swan's.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
I remember in the early 80's playing various games with hockey cards, pretty much all killing the grading value of any cards. Kids would get stacks of hockey cards, yell "scramble" and toss them in the air. yeesh. I still have a few Wayne Gretzky OPeeChee Team Leader cards that probably grade a 5-6. We did trade some of the superstars so thankfully those didn't make it to the asphalt.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
rsmath said:
mancini79 said:
Could you imagine tossing a 52 Mantle against a curb so you could win some common.

According to Bob in the video, you didn't flip or put in bike spokes the superstar players, just the commons. I would think you'd have to hate the Yankees or not realize the value of a Mantle if you were to put a 52 Mantle in your spokes.
I'm not sure you realize how different the mentality was then. You did not have to hate the Yanks or Mantle to overlook the "value" of a 52 Mantle... because a 52 Mantle at that time did not have any value. They were playing cards, somewhat similar to the money you have in the monopoly game that is buried in your closet. True there was a collectibility element, but no one dreamed they would one day be worth serious money. If they did, Topps would not have dumped cases of 1952 Topps into the ocean to make room for the 53 product. (And ironically, if they did they would have saved those, and the prices would be far lower than they are now.)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I can remember how it was opposite from today: a rookie card was of an unknown, unproven player and thus, worthless to us. We would much rather have stars or favorite players than a rookie.

Case in point: I remember trading SEVERAL George Brett rookies in '75 for cards of Mickey Rivers, George Foster and Joe Rudi cards in particular... :benson: :benson: :benson:

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
rsmath said:
mancini79 said:

Several years ago I bought a shoe box full of 1953-1956 vintage cards from a man who had saved them from his childhood. They included cards of Mays, Clemente and Jackie Robinson. I noticed there wasn't a single Yankee card in the lot so I asked him about it. He said any Yankee cards that were pulled faced immediate death by burning or BB gun.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
ThoseBackPages said:
also want to add that "back in the day" it was about getting the GUM. the cards were something to entertain us while we chewed the gum
being a Cub fan in the 60's as a kid. i can not tell you how many of the cards in your sig were put in my bike spoke's. 100 or more! i use to get packs at the end of the season for 1-2 cents a pack as a blow out at Woolworths.use to keep all the Cubs and just destroy all the others. By the way, the gum was AWESOME!

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
nosterbor said:
ThoseBackPages said:
also want to add that "back in the day" it was about getting the GUM. the cards were something to entertain us while we chewed the gum
being a Cub fan in the 60's as a kid. i can not tell you how many of the cards in your sig were put in my bike spoke's. 100 or more! i use to get packs at the end of the season for 1-2 cents a pack as a blow out at Woolworths.use to keep all the Cubs and just destroy all the others. By the way, the gum was AWESOME!

I remember the white powdered sugar like substance that used to be on the pieces of gum. :D

Members online